What do you think of UA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Just flew SFO-SAN-SFO yesterday. 40 min before SFO departure, the aircraft wasn't at the gate. I asked the gate agent, ?Mezna?, what time she would be boarding as I wondered if I had time to run to the RCC. Her reply: "It's printed on your boarding pass...can't you read?" I blasted her back and will be writing UA.

I really hate them sometimes.

On the return flight, however, Purser MJ was working F and was AWESOME. Great attitude! I told her she should be the trainer for all their employees. UA will hear about her as well.
    Her sarcasm is uncalled for. It's good that you will report her. It won't do any good though bc she will deny it.

Comment

Virgin post by a Newbie from FT

Hi Everyone! Been lurking for a week now and have enjoyed your posts and your sense of fun and comaraderie

Just flew SFO-SAN-SFO yesterday. 40 min before SFO departure, the aircraft wasn't at the gate. I asked the gate agent, ?Mezna?, what time she would be boarding as I wondered if I had time to run to the RCC. Her reply: "It's printed on your boarding pass...can't you read?" I blasted her back and will be writing UA.

I really hate them sometimes.
      Oh if only I had a come-back for everytime some surly airline employee was mouthy or rude!

Back to the topic tho:

As a potential customer for UA (out of YYZ) I actively go OUT of my way to avoid flying with them, or any North American carrier (including AC) for that matter, when I have a choice.

I used to fly with UA quite a bit - int'l and domestic - and have experienced Y and J over the years. In general there is no comparison between N/A carriers to European ones (BA and LH being my reference), and they're miles behind Asian ones (CX, SQ) imho.

Crew consistency is certainly a factor, and I've had exemplary and horrid ones on all the above carriers, but there is just such a strong culture of passenger service on Asian carriers that other ones pale in comparison.

Food - Y food is Y food - that is if you actually get any in N/A due to cost-cutting. SQ and CX tend to be much better in my experience. J and F fare is harder to generalise on the other hand.

Hardware - it's a good sign that UA is overhauling its premium product, even when it was still under Ch.11. BA's new F has got the FTers all abuzz with anticipation. LH's is fast becoming more and more dated. Y cabins are never 'enjoyable', and the cramp factor surely plays an important role?

Ignoring the pure hassle of going through multiple hurdles from arriving at the airport to getting on board, I think lounges go some ways to making ground experience less painful - but only if you have access, and mostly for non-Y pax. LH's FCT is surely an industry leader in this regard, and tho there's some anticipation for LHR's T5 to perform better than the other terminals, BAEC FTers on the whole have not-too-high expectations.

I think the nature of the market in the US is such that carriers either genuinely can't afford to offer the same level of pax service experience, or the culture in the industry/country is just not conducive to anything similar to what SQ or BA offers.

The bottom line is this: for me, a lowly little flyer who is willing and able to pay for premium seats, but has come to the conclusion that N/A carriers are best avoided for his money's worth, UA and the rest of them have one fewer punter they can count on going on their metal.

Doesn't stop me from coming in here, getting tips and ogling pix of plush seats and yummy airplane grub tho!

Comment

Originally posted by sailaway75 View Post
        So, given a choice, I would fly UA domestically over anyone else especially AA... eeks... Internationally, I still don't mind UA especially when we get double miles on super discounted fares vs no miles on SQ...
        Sorry to say this, sailaway75, but given a choice, I would fly Jetblue or Frontier domestically over anyone else, especially UA and AA.
        My Cafe Adventures
        Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
        http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Forgot to add: Even United Domestic First doesn't come close to Singapore Airlines Economy. Go figure...
          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
            Originally posted by sailaway75 View Post
            So, given a choice, I would fly UA domestically over anyone else especially AA... eeks... Internationally, I still don't mind UA especially when we get double miles on super discounted fares vs no miles on SQ...
            Sorry to say this, sailaway75, but given a choice, I would fly Jetblue or Frontier domestically over anyone else, especially UA and AA.
            Sorry to be naive here. Your base is Singapore. Would you mind to tell us how many times you had taken UA in the past year?

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
            Forgot to add: Even United Domestic First doesn't come close to Singapore Airlines Economy. Go figure...
            Again, this is an apple vs orange comparison. Even though I survived taking SIN-NRT on SQ Y, for the same length of flight time, UA domestic F seats are still more comfortable such as from IAD-SFO.

Comment

I just went to the States a few weeks ago and flew UA domestically. I have to say UA was really good - managed to get a few upgrades, decent food, good service both on the plane and on the ground (especially the people at the BOS & SEA RCC) and I really enjoyed the warmed nuts on the plane (SQ, are you listening?).

Overall, no complains about United.

Comment

Since we're now talking about US carriers in general - I'd add to the discussion my experiences with the dAArk side. You might think I'm crazy but I have no qualms in declaring that AA's reservations and ticketing staff are some of the best in the industry that I've ever experienced! The AA ATW desk is heaps more competent than the equivalents at CX, QF and BA. I've also encouraged friends to reissue or change their RTW tickets with AA (any OW carrier can do reissue/changes), even if they've originally issued with another carrier. AA would always very happily handle the reissue or changes with no extra charge on top of what's listed in the fare rules. Doing the opposite on CX, QF or BA on the other hand would see them either get dropped like a hot potato - or stung with all sorts of nuisance fees not allowed for in the fare rules. And try getting NZ (only *A carrier I've approached directly), awesome in the air as they are, to book a RTW - ha ha ha. As an AA Platinum I've also been treated very well with staff being very willing to bend some rules for my sake (not that I've ever asked).

Just the other day I was exploring a LAX-MEL-LAX aaward in order to reposition myself between sections of my DONE4. LAX-MEL is a needle in a haystack at the best of times. But the AAgent I dealt with was very creative and managed to produce a LAX-ORD-CDG-HKG-BKK-SYD-MEL J/F aaward for similar amounts of miles - i'd have accepted the routing if i had more time but as it is it'd have left me with only 2 days in LA and getting back late for uni.

In the past when flights are canned or I've missed connections I had AA proactively rebook me. Many a times I've turned up at the service desk, Admirals Club or rang up the Plat desk to be told that I've already been rebooked on the next best connections, that is if I've not received phone calls from AA already!

In the air I reckon AA is fine. Not to the levels of SQ or QF, but fine - I get fed, watered and transported. FAs are average to great. I've never been treated badly.

No complaints about AA - and heaps of compliments for the ground staff and some of the FAs I've experienced on my most recent trip.

People on travel forums like to bash US carriers like it's a patriotic duty and make them out to be some horrific monstrosities. But please remember that when you're talking about carriers like SQ - they are the exception rather than the industry norm when it comes to service.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 3 March 2008, 09:45 AM. Reason: ah never mind
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Adding to KeithMEL's praise of AA, on routes from the West Coast to ORD, AA offers 60 inches of pitch in F; UA, only 38! It's THAT fact that just kills me.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Adding to KeithMEL's praise of AA, on routes from the West Coast to ORD, AA offers 60 inches of pitch in F; UA, only 38! It's THAT fact that just kills me.
                    On transcons between LAX/SFO and JFK UA has the Spacebed style seating in ps F, whilst AA only has the, albeit roomy, cradle seating in AFS F.

Pluses and minuses - can't win them all.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 3 March 2008, 04:07 PM.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      Since we're now talking about US carriers in general - I'd add to the discussion my experiences with the dAArk side.
                      Hmmm the thread is "What Do You Think oF UA?" You know it is United Airlines, not US airlines in general.
                      And, back to our personal travel destinations, which one is better for one, origin and destination would play a role as well. Like when I commuted for SFO - PHL, UA would be more convenient (being nonstop), and better than US Airways (which offers nonstop as well).

Well, you have chosen where your money worth it. But, just a quick look, LAX-ORD on AA 763 aircraft is only once a day. The rests of the schedule looks like on MD83 or 757 which do not have 60 inches pitch I believe. Thus if you arrive late for your 763 flight, you will get the MD83 or 757.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        Sorry to be naive here. Your base is Singapore. Would you mind to tell us how many times you had taken UA in the past year?
                        Admittedly, the last time I flew UA was like 2-3 years back. I did not travel to the US in the past year. However, I do have two upcoming trips in March/April. Thankfully, I'm flying Eva Air direct to EWR on the first one, which eliminates the need to travel domestically by a US airline. On the second trip, I have the JFK-BOS-JFK segments booked on DL, but that's because of the sponsor's corporate policy of only booking us on airlines linked to the GDS. You should have seen how my colleagues lobbied hard for Jetblue, after having first tasted it in 2006.

Originally posted by SQ LPP
                        Again, this is an apple vs orange comparison. Even though I survived taking SIN-NRT on SQ Y, for the same length of flight time, UA domestic F seats are still more comfortable such as from IAD-SFO.
                        My comparison between SQ and US-based airlines isn't confined to the seats only. The other aspects of travel, like entertainment and service, plus the overall experience, do count as well. I remember how my colleagues and I were pampered on Jetblue (aircraft deployed was a new E190) even on a short flight like BOS-JFK, with leather seats and personal entertainment systems. Compare that with my experience on UA F on LAX-SFO (IIRC). The aircraft used was an old A320 which had seen better days. If my memory serves me well, the entertainment was served from an overhead screen.

Even today, I still avoid the US-based legacy airlines like plague. I will continue to give my business to Jetblue and Frontier until such time when the bigger airlines get their act together. UA moved in the right direction when they started offering the ps product on LAX-JFK. I've got to try that one day!
                        My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          On transcons between LAX/SFO and JFK UA has the Spacebed style seating in ps F, whilst AA only has the, albeit roomy, cradle seating in AFS F.

Pluses and minuses - can't win them all.
                          Yeah, but on AA, you can get the Captain Kirk Chair.

That route is not an issue for me as I've moved my business to VX -- much better price.

Well, you have chosen where your money worth it. But, just a quick look, LAX-ORD on AA 763 aircraft is only once a day. The rests of the schedule looks like on MD83 or 757 which do not have 60 inches pitch I believe. Thus if you arrive late for your 763 flight, you will get the MD83 or 757.
                          SQ LPP, you are absolutely correct and this IS the downfall of the AA routing. Knock on wood, though, I've never missed my 763s. Point being there at least is an option on AA, but none on UA for that sort of pitch.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Hmmm the thread is "What Do You Think oF UA?" You know it is United Airlines, not US airlines in general.
                            Point taken, but there were a few comments about US airlines generally and I couldn't help responding to the comments made about AA.

I've only flown UA twice in my life, once on SYD-AKL-some other stop-SFO when I was too young to remember except for the very nice FA who kept giving me toys (and helping my poor parents clean up after me ), and an ORD-PHL flight in Dec 2006 in E+. Minute sample sizes, so unfortunately I can't really make an informed comment on UA's product except that I think E+ is a pretty fine idea. I do however take your (and others) words for what they are with UA's product given that I generally respect your experience and fair and balanced opinions of various carriers, and can hence understand the frustration you feel in response to the seemingly unfair critique of any single airline, in this case UA. And it is in that context that I posted about AA, ie I wasn't trying to commence a UA vs AA debate.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2008, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A350 View Post
                              the newspaper will ALWAYS SAY OTHER AIRLINE PLANE EXCEPT CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS sucks... because i heard they have some kind of alliance?

anyway... newspapers always support their local airlines
                              But do not most ailrines suck compared to CX?

Comment

comparing Singapore airlines to United airlines is like comparing apples to oranges. Even i try to stay away from United airlines. Terrible crew, food (get this, a bag of lays cost $4.50) -_-.

This is what its like to fly the "friendly skies"

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                                No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                                I AGREE
                                Last edited by singaporeairlinesboi; 16 April 2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X