What do you think of UA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of UA?

Do you think that UAL really sucks? A local newspaper in Hong Kong always reports negative news about UAL but I don't think UAL really sucks. How about you guys?

I don't think UA sucks. The product isn't great, especially domestically, but we get hooked because of the frequent flyer benefits. The Asian based crews are very good.

Comment

My recent experience of UA has been SIN-HKG r/t in Y, a domestic o/w in Y, and another domestic o/w in F.

The 744 I flew SIN-HKG was so old it didn't even have PTV screens. Food was awful. But (in 2006) I got to sit in Y+, and the legroom made up for the deficiencies. On the return from HKG, I got an op-up and so UA got a wad of brownie points for that. Though if I was paying for J, I wouldn't have thought it to be good value.

Last year I flew transcon domestic Y. Y+ (no longer guaranteed to non-UA *G) would have been given to me, but was full as I checked in late. It was an awful experience from the angle of seating, F&B, age & maintenance of aircraft, availability of toilets, and value...

On domestic F, I had the relatively new A320. I don't recall if there was a footrest. But seats were generally fine though not up the SQ regional J seating standards.

All-in-all, UA is pretty bad in Y. Y+ makes a difference, but is not guaranteed unless you have status on UA.

My main issue with UA is that their pricing in all classes is not too different (sometimes higher) than SQ and other carriers. And because of that I tend to find UA to be awful value.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Airlines View Post
        Do you think that UAL really sucks? A local newspaper in Hong Kong always reports negative news about UAL but I don't think UAL really sucks. How about you guys?
        Would you kindly posted the link of the report, or else if it's non-English, would you translate or quote the negative news?
        Thanks a bunch!

Comment

In the days when they put all *Gs into Y+ I thought they were great. These days I would rate them as an average American airline which probably puts them about average globally as well. So I think saying they suck is a bit harsh.

Comment

I like UA.

• I like their USA network - nuff said. Goes where I like to go
            • Channel 9 is a seriously unique selling proposition that I'm surprised UA doesn't push harder, and also surprising that no one else wants to have their planes equipped as such. The airline that does, gets a leg up on the other (IMHO)
            • You can, if travelling on an Intl. ticket, fly between MEL-SYD on them. Since the demise of Ansett, the only *A option.
            • E+
            • Not tried them yet, but their new seats look nice. Not that there was anything wrong with the old First Suite or old J, both of which are IMHO quite comfy.
            • The only airline that's ever given me a double opup from award Y. (yeah beat that )
            Dislikes
            • slightly inconsistent crew. The ones on the longer hauls tend to be great. The younger uns doing just COS-DEN runs are a bit patchy sometimes.
            no wonder then, that this Malaysian's 4th most flown airline by segments is UA (After the logical SQ/MH and TG). To say they suck is WIDE of the mark.

Comment

Have you spent much time on the UA board on flyertalk? If not, please do, as you'll get a very good sense of UA from the very numerous, informative, and opinionated posts from a very active and sometimes over-the-top member base.

I used to fly UA frequently when I was living in the US. Since moving to Asia, I try to avoid them whenever possible. I do have to admit, however, that since being 1K, my UA ground experience has improved dramatically, mostly thanks to my calls being routed to their US call centers, staffed with mostly competent and friendly staff.

In the air, I think it's not unreasonable to say that UA sucks. Someone mentioned that their Asian-based crew is good, and it's mostly true, but only when compared to their US-based crew, which is very inconsistent and mostly bad.

Flying ex-NRT, I am a bit sheltered from the typically horrible UA service. But otherwise, you can expect surly and lazy 'service' most of the time, hostile 'service' at times, and good service once in a while.

They are now marketing their next generation F suites & J lie-flat seats, which, by the way, will take a while to get installed on their long-haul fleet. I believe to-date only 1 aircraft is operational with the new F & J seats. But even with the new hardware, the experience will still be inferior. That's why their F & J cabins are filled with mostly upgrades and UA staff. (Supposedly their management knows about the bad service but can't do much due to the strong union. There are, of course, other factors contributing to the bad service, such as cultural differences, training, pay, etc. and these have been discussed over and over on flyertalk...

My strategy is: try to avoid UA whenever possible, and when flying them, expect the worst and be thankful if you luck out with a good crew.

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post
                Have you spent much time on the UA board on flyertalk? If not, please do, as you'll get a very good sense of UA from the very numerous, informative, and opinionated posts from a very active and sometimes over-the-top member base.

I used to fly UA frequently when I was living in the US. Since moving to Asia, I try to avoid them whenever possible. I do have to admit, however, that since being 1K, my UA ground experience has improved dramatically, mostly thanks to my calls being routed to their US call centers, staffed with mostly competent and friendly staff.

In the air, I think it's not unreasonable to say that UA sucks. Someone mentioned that their Asian-based crew is good, and it's mostly true, but only when compared to their US-based crew, which is very inconsistent and mostly bad.

Flying ex-NRT, I am a bit sheltered from the typically horrible UA service. But otherwise, you can expect surly and lazy 'service' most of the time, hostile 'service' at times, and good service once in a while.

They are now marketing their next generation F suites & J lie-flat seats, which, by the way, will take a while to get installed on their long-haul fleet. I believe to-date only 1 aircraft is operational with the new F & J seats. But even with the new hardware, the experience will still be inferior. That's why their F & J cabins are filled with mostly upgrades and UA staff. (Supposedly their management knows about the bad service but can't do much due to the strong union. There are, of course, other factors contributing to the bad service, such as cultural differences, training, pay, etc. and these have been discussed over and over on flyertalk...

My strategy is: try to avoid UA whenever possible, and when flying them, expect the worst and be thankful if you luck out with a good crew.
                I haven't flown on UA too much, but I have enjoyed all my flights with them so far. Thought it was sorta an average airline, rather casual, which suits me... I feel uptight sometimes on SQ, it being sorta posh

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  [*]slightly inconsistent crew. The ones on the longer hauls tend to be great. The younger uns doing just COS-DEN runs are a bit patchy sometimes.
                  Slightly? Quite frankly the majority of the crews doing the Australian-USA routes are a disgrace to the industry and it doesnt get better domestically.

I spend a lot of my time raving about the service culture being so much stronger in the states, so I find a huge disconnect with these people.

But do I like UA? B fares... SYD-USA upgraded for 30K round trip... Confirmed in advance.. 150% EQMs awarded...

I like that..

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Airlines View Post

the newspaper will ALWAYS SAY OTHER AIRLINE PLANE EXCEPT CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS sucks... because i heard they have some kind of alliance?

anyway... newspapers always support their local airlines

Comment

Originally posted by A350 View Post
                      the newspaper will ALWAYS SAY OTHER AIRLINE PLANE EXCEPT CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS sucks... because i heard they have some kind of alliance?

anyway... newspapers always support their local airlines
                      Well, not just newspapers, many HK residents love CX too. But although I am from HK, I hate this pathetic airline. SIA has been my favourite airline since I first flew it. I flew UAL when I was 4 to America. Its service wasn't very bad at that time.

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2921
                        HUGE AL

Comment

I would rather have an enema than fly UA again.....As others have said, have non-existent expectations.....

Comment

I <3 UA! They gave me my first ever op-up from E to E+! I know its still in E but its my first ever Op-up while only having basic Aeroplan...not even *S

Comment

Working...
                            X