Back to back long haul. Can I do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to back long haul. Can I do it

Hey guys. Super SQ fan here. Only able to travel economy but I don't mind as it's better than anything I have ever travelled on.
    So here goes

JFK to DPS via Sing on SQ
    Spend 4 days in DPS
    Dps to IAH on SQ
    Spend 2 days in IAH
    IAH to PVG via Sing on SQ
    Spend 3- 4 days
    PVG to JFK via sing on SQ

Less interested in why are you doing it etc. Do you all think it's possible given personal experiences. I have done a lot of USA to South East Asia flight so I am.aware of how you feel etc. I love flying,airports and most of all SQ. What do you guys think. So glad I found this forum. Been looking for a while but only just got validated.

Hi Triniflyer!

How well do you handle jetlag? Can you sleep on planes?

US East Coast to Asia is a worst case scenario as far as timezone is concerned, but as long as you don't have to drive or operate machinery, I think it is not ideal, but doable -- even in Y.

Years back, I did SIN-West Coast USA-SIN in one week, spent the weekend in SIN, then SIN-ORD-SIN the next week. All on SQ Y (With UA domestic sectors, if I recall correctly.). But I am pretty good at handling jetlag and have no problem sleeping on planes in Y either.

Not something I would want to do on a regular basis, but as a one-off, it was fine.

I am curious as to why you would want to do a tight schedule like that, though? Specific appointments you need to keep? Mileage run? Hopefully the former!

Comment

Originally posted by Triniflyer View Post
      Hey guys. Super SQ fan here. Only able to travel economy but I don't mind as it's better than anything I have ever travelled on.
      So here goes

JFK to DPS via Sing on SQ
      Spend 4 days in DPS
      Dps to IAH on SQ
      Spend 2 days in IAH
      IAH to PVG via Sing on SQ
      Spend 3- 4 days
      PVG to JFK via sing on SQ

Less interested in why are you doing it etc. Do you all think it's possible given personal experiences. I have done a lot of USA to South East Asia flight so I am.aware of how you feel etc. I love flying,airports and most of all SQ. What do you guys think. So glad I found this forum. Been looking for a while but only just got validated.
      Welcome to SQT!
      Of course it's doable, but if you are doing that itinerary back to back, you are going to have issues with jet lag. Perhaps bulkhead seats/emergency exit seats will help your journey feel better

Comment

Thanks guys. Yup it's a mileage run essentially. I handle jet lag well. It's weird by flying is part of my vacation. It's my hotel in the sky and it's a solo. No machinery to operate. The destinations will all be relaxing.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yup it's a mileage run essentially. I handle jet lag well. It's weird by flying is part of my vacation. It's my hotel in the sky and it's a solo. No machinery to operate. The destinations will all be relaxing.
          Yeah I could do that quite easily in SQ Y. I fly MEL to JFK via SIN and FRA and I fly SFO to MEL via SIN. Flying westward is always better for jetlag than easterly. Red-eye flights should always be long haul where possible to allow for a proper 7-8 hour sleep. Always set your watch upon boarding to the destination timezone. Those are my tricks to avoid jetlag. Bon voyage!

Comment

Part of the appeal here for me is to do long haul on Sia a350. I have done it on Qatar mia-sing.

Comment

Allow yourself a few days post-flight to recover from jet lag before committing to intense activities. Personal experience was it took me 4 days to fully recover from jet lag after returning to Singapore from US on 2 occasions

Comment

Yup takes about the same for me

Comment

That is one expensive mileage run, if you happen to be buying into those inhumane YBE fares (other *A airlines might give a better deal for that)

Comment

I have the option of doing SQ 8. What is the meal service like in economy?might be easier on my body as well as flying to west coast?

Comment

Hey guys on the route back from.PVG I can do either PVG Sing JFK or PVG Sing Lax. Never flew the latter. I have done the Sing JFK about three times now. I love the a380 even though it's getting older now. How do you think the b777er would compared. I have only done the b777er from TYO to Sing and it was nice. This trip is in October so I am not sure if the Sing - JFK is going to get an retrofitted a380. I do like the idea of the b777RW but the quietness and smoothness of the a380 is something I really enjoy but looking for a different experience in terms of new airports/routes. What do you all think. And do you get more meal service on sq26 than SQ 8. You get 4 meals on sq26 which I like.

Comment

Booked. Coming back through JFK. Figure it's more service and I would take an a380 over a 777er for the journey

Comment

I have not done back to back long haul, but I have done some back to back short haul to different cities and countries over 12-15 days period. The only issue was, I need a few second to figure out where on earth I was when I woke up every morning :-))

Comment

Working...
                          X