The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
    Not really important, but the event took place on 02 November, not 03 November
    The media event took place in the day time on the 2nd, the launch events are taking place over three days, 2 - 4 November.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne2017-171026

There are another three, or maybe even four, more launch sessions today. Crew are allowed in today and can take a couple of friends so a number of SQTalkers will be there today as well. The UK Group are also there today. Its the same format each time, speech by an SQ Exec followed by a video then the background wall is raised to reveal the products and groups go through in batches depending on what airport code was on your laminate.

To be fair to them they are throwing a lot of money at this and have offered free flights and hotel accommodation to a sizeable amount of people from all over the world.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 November 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      I took the liberty to share this idea with everyone who was a SVP or higher at the launch event and only Peter Seah was spared...
      Good stuff.

The more of us that do this the better.

Comment

• It would be nice if there was a launch event in Sydney too,
        Like they did back in 2007.
        I remember the huge general public interest generated.
        SQ had displays in Circular Quay that anyone could touch and feel.
        I guess this time round,
        There's no new aircraft just new seats.
        F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ikarus2006 View Post
          As for the Suites:

- The grey tones (in connection to the cool grey & blue of Economy) seems to be a bit of a missed opportunity to let the large space stand out in a warm/charming and uniquely refined way. While the carpet is a rich hand tufted one, it borders with a stone design which is not, as indicated by somebody, VIP - it is a PVF film and therefore has a pretty plastic look. The combinations of different greys let you miss some "First" refinement overall and hints more at Business (old American Airlines ...).
          Design wise, the forms sees a mix of sharp edges (bed when not deployed) and generous curves (chair, console) which speak some different language.

Pity is one cannot dine and look outside, nor dine with a companion face to face.

Of course, in any design, choices have to be made. It would be interesting to hear from SQ PID the logic behind their choices for each specific product set up, in details.
          Echoes my thoughts entirely! I can't help but imagine if the New Suites were reskinned as it were it would make the overall ambience even more impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            Just watched Sam Chui's video. Does anyone else think that the Lalique branding/partnership is a little too prominent? On the Suites bedding duvet and emblazoned on the pajamas top pocket taking up as much real estate as it can. Are they paying SQ for advertising/showcasing their brand? Would it not be better for SQ to have their own branding (less prominently) on the pajamas?
            It’s just a partnership agreement... SQ gets something out of it (perhaps cheaper goods) and so does Lalique (prominence and advertising for their brand). In the mean time, the passengers are more or less happy because they are surrounded by two premium brands: an incredible airline and a luxurious, high-end designer brand. The Lalique branding just makes the first class experience more exclusive! Win-win?
            Fly well,
            Travel safe,
            And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyflyer View Post
              Economy
              - It looks SUPER cheap...
              Agreed!! The seatback is a terrible colour, as are the seats themselves (including the texture and design). Seatback is so cluttered and unpleasant. I think the 2013 Y product was the sweet spot. Great comfort and really good looking premium product. The 2017 Y completely lacks any premium/ pleasant/ luxurious appearance. Yet another way to force people to buy up!
              Fly well,
              Travel safe,
              And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyflyer View Post

Business Class
                - MOST IRRITANT THING: Even if sitted at a window seat, I feel that the shield will block the view! Why can't the table for window seats be situated at the aisle instead?! That definitely brings more privacy and better view to the window!
                Agree with you. It would certainly be so much easier for the crew to top up drinks and clear glasses. And maybe easier to get out from the seat too.

Comment

• Was there earlier this evening and I was impressed by the product launch effort from SQ. Catering came from SATS itself and had many of the popular dishes found on board flights.

One thing I will say if the pictures and videos don't do the actual product justice. And many comments speculating about it are just wrong. You really need to try it out.

This is my brief thoughts.

Economy was Surprising impressive for me. The actual seat is wider than the pictures make it out to be and very very comfortable. Because the seats are very thin, legroom is actually increased. Recline is very good and the headrest as well. I like it.

Premium Economy is the current seat with the exception that the IFE is now touch screen. Nothing more to add.

Business is lovely. Fully flat with a push of the button. Soft furnishings make the bed more comfy than the current 2 versions. Table is a whole lot sturdier as well and takes less much effort to deploy and stow. The foot area while in bed mode is bigger, I tried it with my shoes on and there was space.
                  I like the foldable armrest as well.

Suites is very nice. It's like a hotel room; the chair and bed are really soft and comfy.!
                  Yflyer and I at one point sat in the double suites and had a conversation. It was right at the end so no one to pressure us to get up...
                  The seats aren't that far apart to hold a conversation.

Will comment more when Yflyer post up the picture. I think he took a couple of hundred of them..

Oh... One last thing. It's 3D Voyager maps
                  Last edited by 9V-JKL; 5 November 2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    SQ will get them when Airbus deliver them. The 5 new ones are replacements for the oldest 5, so what we also have to take into account is when those will leave the fleet. So far we've seen 2 leave and none arrive, so there's zero room to commence refits and Paris has even lost the A380 temporarily.

Any predictions of routes other than SYD and LHR or when the refits will begin, and which set of A380s they will target first, is pure crystal ball gazing. (Not that we don't like doing that on here!)
                    Oh, but the pure crystal ball gazing is what I was looking for from you and others! I am certainly not meaning to hold anyone to any predictions made

I am a (relative) newbie and so it is fun and educational to pick the brains of those on here with much more knowledge of how aircraft/product replacements work (e.g. how quickly Airbus operates etc) and so further, what SQ *could* actually choose to do with the new A380s when they are delivered?

To me, it is very interesting to consider where those other three new planes will go ... not just because of all the buzz around the new products, but also because in reality -- it seems like the refits will take some time, all things considered?

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Was there earlier this evening and I was impressed by the product launch effort from SQ. Catering came from SATS itself and had many of the popular dishes found on board flights.

One thing I will say if the pictures and videos don't do the actual product justice. And many comments speculating about it are just wrong. You really need to try it out.

This is my brief thoughts.

Economy was Surprising impressive for me. The actual seat is wider than the pictures make it out to be and very very comfortable. Because the seats are very thin, legroom is actually increased. Recline is very good and the headrest as well. I like it.

Premium Economy is the current seat with the exception that the IFE is now touch screen. Nothing more to add.

Business is lovely. Fully flat with a push of the button. Soft furnishings make the bed more comfy than the current 2 versions. Table is a whole lot sturdier as well and takes less much effort to deploy and stow. The foot area while in bed mode is bigger, I tried it with my shoes on and there was space.
                      I like the foldable armrest as well.

Suites is very nice. It's like a hotel room; the chair and bed are really soft and comfy.!
                      Yflyer and I at one point sat in the double suites and had a conversation. It was right at the end so no one to pressure us to get up...
                      The seats aren't that far apart to hold a conversation.

Will comment more when Yflyer post up the picture. I think he took a couple of hundred of them..

Oh... One last thing. It's 3D Voyager maps
                      Glad you enjoyed it and as with anything I agree pictures don't do justice.

3D maps, they're there on every 77WR and 350 and maybe the new A380 so now that's the last thing I'd want to worry about now.

Comment

• According to Recaro's website the new Y seats will be on the 787-10's as well as the A350's.

https://en.recaro-as.com/press/press...-the-a380.html
                        Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                          According to Recaro's website the new Y seats will be on the 787-10's as well as the A350's.

https://en.recaro-as.com/press/press...-the-a380.html
                          I hope by A350's you mean the regional A350's past SMU or another series. It's cool to know they're maintaining the same color scheme we have had since 2006.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            It's cool to know they're maintaining the same color scheme we have had since 2006.
                            Only if there are still seats in the warm orange, beige scheme in addition to the blue and charcoal grey scheme.

First launched in 2006:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...gDEz47zA%3D%3D

Updated in 2013:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...cNFgczTQ%3D%3D

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Was there earlier this evening and I was impressed by the product launch effort from SQ. Catering came from SATS itself and had many of the popular dishes found on board flights.

Agree that the pictures don't do the products justice. The new SQ products are superb when you actually see them and try them out. Of course as MAN Flyer also commented, we won't know for sure until the Whalejet takes off for SYD, and folks try it out for real, but at least from what we saw and touched, I am quite optimistic and excited.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Very good guess...I took 236, actually!
                              Last edited by yflyer; 5 November 2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Impressions of SQ Launch Event for Customers & Guests on Saturday, 4 Nov 2017

Yesterday evening, 9V-JKL and I attended the SQ cabin product launch event as guests of 9V-SIA and his lovely wife. This was the last of many sessions conducted from 2-4 November, and invitations for this final session included many of SQ's most valuable customers (My guess would be Lifetime Solitaires etc) and other invited guests.

Apart from getting an up-close look at the new products, guests were also wined and dined in proper SQ fashion.

I took pics of the event and F&B as well, but as these are likely to prove very distracting in this thread dedicated to the cabin products, I will post those in a separate event thread here...

Let us take up the action right after the intro speeches and opening of the cabin exhibits...

While Suites were definitely the highlight of the launch, it would have been anticlimactic to start there.

9V-JKL and I began our tour by heading straight to Economy Class...(For me at least, old habits die hard...)...
                                Last edited by yflyer; 5 November 2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X