CX 744 or 773?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CX 744 or 773?

I decided to fly to TPE via HKG on CX rather than take SQ direct flight. Well coz I a fed up with SQ also there will be no 130am flight on Monday for now.

So I can leave on 16:05 on B744 or 18:25 on B773. Which one is better? Looks to me the B773 is rather old and non refurbished. The later flight is preferred based on timing.

Any suggestion?
    visit my blog

Are you flying in Y or J?

For Y: 744 has the hard shell Y seat (non-reclinable - good or bad depends on your preference but i like the fact that no one can recline into my space) and a larger AVOD screen. 773 (assuming you get the older variant) has the traditional Y seat with a relatively smaller non-AVOD screen. For a 3.5 hour flight to HK, I will take 744 over 773 anytime.

For J: 744 has the fish-bone configured seat (not the latest J type in CX though) with a very large AVOD screen. Privacy is the best if that is what you value of it. Upper deck ambience is very nice too. For 773 (again assuming you get the older variant) has 2-3-2 arrangement with old regional seats and with no AVOD. Service should be very similar on both types. If you are travelling alone or has no need to engage in extensive conversation with your travelling partner, 744 J trumps 773 J by a large margin.

If you have onwards flight to TPE on the same day, taking the 16:05 flight will give you much better chances of making the onwards flight. The 18:25 flight arrive at 22-ish and may not leave you any same day connection flight with CX to TPE anymore (last flight out to TPE from HKG departs at 22:20/22:25, except Friday, Sunday and Monday where there is an additional flight departing at 23:05).
    When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyerfly View Post
      Are you flying in Y or J?

For Y: 744 has the hard shell Y seat (non-reclinable - good or bad depends on your preference but i like the fact that no one can recline into my space) and a larger AVOD screen. 773 (assuming you get the older variant) has the traditional Y seat with a relatively smaller non-AVOD screen. For a 3.5 hour flight to HK, I will take 744 over 773 anytime.

For J: 744 has the fish-bone configured seat (not the latest J type in CX though) with a very large AVOD screen. Privacy is the best if that is what you value of it. Upper deck ambience is very nice too. For 773 (again assuming you get the older variant) has 2-3-2 arrangement with old regional seats and with no AVOD. Service should be very similar on both types. If you are travelling alone or has no need to engage in extensive conversation with your travelling partner, 744 J trumps 773 J by a large margin.

If you have onwards flight to TPE on the same day, taking the 16:05 flight will give you much better chances of making the onwards flight. The 18:25 flight arrive at 22-ish and may not leave you any same day connection flight with CX to TPE anymore (last flight out to TPE from HKG departs at 22:20/22:25, except Friday, Sunday and Monday where there is an additional flight departing at 23:05).
      I am flying on Y. I think will get the old Y. Flying on Sunday, so I can connect to TPE on same day to arrive after midnight.

I think no choice as I tried to fly as late as I can so guess have to settle with lousy aircraft

Crossing my finger they will upgrade me on J on SIN-HKG leg
      visit my blog

Comment

Cathay Pacific always change aircraft...esp 5 days before the flight, even 2 days before the flight, especially for short hauls to SIN and TPE.

Take the B744 (74A) or B777-300ER (73A), even if there is a full flight in Business Class, you sit alone! Don't take the B777-300, old aircraft.

You can see my B744 pics here:
        http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=daea249571

Comment

Yes CX has the bad habit of changing aircraft for regional routes. So there are still hopes that you will get a newer aircraft with AVOD. But really the old Y is fine for a 3.5h flight. CX773 are equipped with external camera view so enjoy it (obviously not much to enjoy at night )

Good luck with the connection to the last flight out to TPE - doable but very tight even if the 18:25 flight arrives at HKG on time.

If you are hoping for an upgrade, try snapping BN1 to slightly increase your chance. SIN-HKG is usually full of OW elites not mentioning tonnes of MPC DM/GO/SL.
          When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

Comment

I'm not too clear about the 773s, but I flew HNQ in December and the Y seat wasn't bad. It seemed to have AVOD, but wasn't activated.

Comment

Take the 744, CX739 i suppose. It has the new products which is great on short haul flight, espically the seats. Through my experience, those seats are relatively comfortable for short/medium haul but not for long haul. Cheers!

Comment

i decided to fly on the 6pm flight coz of timing. may be on my way back
                visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                  i decided to fly on the 6pm flight coz of timing. may be on my way back
                  Hopefully you get the newer variant's of the 773's. B-HNM/N/O/P/Q which is fitted with new Regional Business Class and Slimlined Economy Class seats.

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                    Hopefully you get the newer variant's of the 773's. B-HNM/N/O/P/Q which is fitted with new Regional Business Class and Slimlined Economy Class seats.
                    i hope. based on the schedule it is old B773
                    visit my blog

Comment

i hope. based on the schedule it is old B773
                      That will depends on your luck .

Comment

That will depends on your luck .
                        I do not really count much on my luck, seems I am lacking of it

May try to take the 11am flight out of TPE on the return to catch the B744 flight. But this means 2 hours layover in HKG.

Any idea if I can access WIFI in HKG?

BTW, I have accepted CX offer for MPC Silver today. Not sure if they manage to upgrade me before this Sunday flight.
                        visit my blog

Comment

I do not really count much on my luck, seems I am lacking of it

May try to take the 11am flight out of TPE on the return to catch the B744 flight. But this means 2 hours layover in HKG.

Any idea if I can access WIFI in HKG?

BTW, I have accepted CX offer for MPC Silver today. Not sure if they manage to upgrade me before this Sunday flight.
                          Im not sure if you can get WIFI in HKG. But there is internet access (Computers) around the departure level. All the best on getting upgraded

Comment

Im not sure if you can get WIFI in HKG. But there is internet access (Computers) around the departure level. All the best on getting upgraded
                            i need wifi for my blackberry..... wish me luck
                            visit my blog

Comment

is 55 minutes connection time enough to do shopping in HKG?
                              visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X