No announcement yet.

Here Comes the 'New' Firefly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Preferably not after you've had a few beers, though)

Comment

The price war intensified. After FY launched their MYR 18/SGD 7.50 return all in to BKI/KCH and AK with their 1,000,000 free seats promo, MH also joining in the foray with their MH Global Sale promotion.

Here is MH's sale ex SIN: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/sg/e....aspx?cid=1689

The cheapest ticket is SIN-MAA return all in for SGD 491 while the most expensive is SIN-LHR return all in for SGD 4,891 in Business Class. All flights are via KUL.

Booking can be made between 8 November - 4 December 2010 for travel between 8 November 2010 - 30 September 2011.

Comment

And Air Asia said FY was no threat to them

Comment

I am doing FY (3rd time for me) to SZB in December return. Paid all of Rm500 for 3 tickets return and then it is a RM30 taxi fare to my destination. Sure beats KLIA or KLIA LCCT

Comment

First time for me in a few weeks - PEN-SZB. I didn't feel the pricing screen was very transparent - I ended up buying the insurance by accident. SZB should be far more convenient for us, and no hassles with the Aerotrain out of service. The pricing was about the same as AK or MH.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
              First time for me in a few weeks - PEN-SZB. I didn't feel the pricing screen was very transparent - I ended up buying the insurance by accident. SZB should be far more convenient for us, and no hassles with the Aerotrain out of service. The pricing was about the same as AK or MH.
              To be fair they're all like that i.e full of booby traps

Comment

Yes they are, and it was early in the morning, but I felt such an idiot...

Comment

This is what awaits Jessica and my twin on their RM 18 Firefly flights.

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                  No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                  I AGREE

And some photos from their Facebook page:

FY's first B738 jet unveiling event
                  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=52630456510

FY's ticketing office at KUL Main Terminal launch event
                  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=52630456510

FY's first flight with the B738 jets from KUL (not SZB) will be on 15 January 2011 to BKI and KCH respectively.

Comment

Nice! I'm going fireflying next Friday but not on an rm18 fare

Atrs it is !

Comment

Flying it on the 25th of Jan to Kuching...

Very excited... I did not buy the Rm 18 fare, but got the Premium fare

It is very reasonable and look forward to the new flight experience!

I am sure I can read some trip reports before the flight!

Carfield

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Nice! I'm going fireflying next Friday but not on an rm18 fare

Atrs it is !
                        Are the two bears going along for the ride too?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          Are the two bears going along for the ride too?
                          no, they're in School.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            no, they're in School.
                            Oh...I do miss Leroy and Bubba. Hope they are doing well in school!

By the way, is Firefly trying to set up a subsidiary in Indonesia? Medan as the HQ? Well, this is what I read on Kompas last week. Let me see if I can find the English version.

http://bisniskeuangan.kompas.com/rea...rikan.Maskapai

I was almost on FY on Dec. 30th from MES to SZB but then MH seats opened up and I was booked on MH to KUL instead.

Love this name firefly. Airlines enthusiasts in Indonesia actually call it Kunang Kunang.
                            Last edited by UMD; 11 January 2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I heard about the rumour too, but they are having some difficulties in getting the necessary approvals from the Indonesian side?

Speaking of kunang kunang (firefly in Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia), FY's inflight magazine is also named Kunang2, albeit in different spelling.

Seen here on the cover of Kunang2 February 2010 edition is Malaysia's handsome astronaut, (Dato?) Dr. Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor and his then girlfriend, now wife.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                                By the way, is Firefly trying to set up a subsidiary in Indonesia? Medan as the HQ? Well, this is what I read on Kompas last week. Let me see if I can find the English version.

http://bisniskeuangan.kompas.com/rea...rikan.Maskapai
                                Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                                I heard about the rumour too, but they are having some difficulties in getting the necessary approvals from the Indonesian side.
                                Apparently FY is facing some problem to set up an Indonesian branch (as expected, you know la how Indonesia kan, always...).

Allow me to translate the news article above.

Dua Wanita Ini Akan Dirikan Maskapai
                                These 2 women will set up an airline

JAKARTA,KOMPAS.com - Dua wanita pengusaha asal Medan, Sumatera Utara,berusaha membangun maskapai penerbangan di Indonesia. Meski demikian, asal usul dana mereka masih diperiksa oleh pihak berwenang.
                                2 women from Medan, North Sumatera is setting up an airline in Indonesia. However, their fund is currently being investigated by the authorities.

Kedua wanita yang terdaftar di Kementerian Perhubungan sedang mengusulkan berdirinya maskapai Aero One tersebut adalah Marry dan Mistina Yusuf. Keduanya akan memiliki sebanyak 51 persen saham AeroOne.
                                The women, who registered their airline - Aero One - at the Ministry of Transportation are Marry & Mistina Yusuf. Both will hold 51% shares in AeroOne cumulatively.

Sementara sebanyak 49 persen lainnya dimiliki oleh Firefly Sdn Bhd, maskapai penerbangan asal Malaysia yang juga anak usaha dari Malaysia Airlines. Mereka saat ini sedang mengajukan penerbitan surat izin usaha penerbangan (SIUP) angkutan udara niaga tidak berjadwal.
                                While the other 49% will be held by Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines. Currently, they are working on the permit for non schedule air transport service.

Marry dan Mistina maju sebagai pemilik saham terbanyak Aero One, setelah sebelumnya Firefly gagal mendirikan Firefly Indonesia.
                                Marry & Mistina came forward as the majority share holder of AeroOne after Firefly failed to set up Firefly Indonesia earlier on.

Selain kepemilikan saham yang masih seimbang yaitu 50:50, pemerintah enggan lagi memberikan izin maskapai asing masuk keIndonesia dengan nama lamanya. Sesuai dengan aturan yang ada, untuk mendirikan maskapai baru, investor asing hanya boleh menguasai sebanyak maksimal 49 persen saja.
                                The Indonesian government does not allow foreign airlines to set up a 50:50 joint venture, as well as to use its original name (Firefly). Current regulation allows for a maximum of 49% shareholding by foreign airlines.

Sementara mayoritas saham harus dikuasai oleh pemodal lokal. Permintaan SIUP tersebut dikembalikan lagi ke pemilik dan selain diminta agar kepemilikan saham mayoritas investor lokal, namanya juga diminta untuk diganti dengan nama lain.
                                The majority of the shares have to be hold by a local partner. The authority also requested for the name of the airline (Firefly) to be changed.

Terhitung, sejak awal 2010 lalu calon maskapai ini telah dua kali mengusulkan SIUP yaitu pada Februari dan Agustus, namun selalu ditolak oleh Kementerian Perhubungan dengan alasan belum memenuhi persyaratan dan belum mengajukan rencana bisnis ke depan.
                                Firefly has submitted 2 applications since early 2010 to set up an airline in Indonesia (in February & August) but both were rejected by the Ministry of Transportation because of non compliance issue and has yet to submit its business proposal.

"Pada 1 Desember lalu, mereka mengajukan lagi dan saat ini masih dievaluasi oleh Kemenhub," kata Direktur Jenderal Perhubungan Udara Herry Bakti Singayudha Gumay di Jakarta.
                                On 1 Dec, they submitted yet another application (their 3rd) and currently it is being evaluated by the Ministry of Transportation.

Saat ini, asal usul modal Marry dan Mistina sedang diperiksa di Pusat Pelaporan dan Analisis Transaksi Keuangan (PPATK). Pemerintah masih ingin yakin kalau kedua wanita tersebut membentuk Aero One bersama Firefly dengan dana dari masing-masing pihak.
                                At the moment, the source of the fund of Marry & Mistina is being investigated by PPATK. The authority is doubt that the women are not using their own money to set up Aero One with Firefly.

Yang sangat dihindari pemerintah adalah bila dana investasi Marry dan Mistina tersebut sebenarnya dari Firefly sehingga sebenarnya maskapai asal Malaysia itu yang menguasai Aero One.
                                The authority worries that the fund that Marry & Mistina claim as theirs are actually originated from Firefly which would like to have full control of Aero One.

Comment

Working...
                                X