No announcement yet.

Something to look for arriving in Syd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to look for arriving in Syd.

Hey there team,

Arrived home in Syd international airport...
    The place was absolutely packed with a queue going for miles for the green lane...
    Whilst waiting to collect my bags I noticed a quarantine guy talking to people and stamping there brown immigration forms...

Now normally I avoid these guys like the plague however I had a feeling and made sure I caught his eye. Sure enough he came over and discussed my card.
    As I had ticked all no's and did not seem to set any alarm bells off with him, he stamped my card and said I could use the door in the corner: an emergency exit with a security guard standing next to it.

Bags arrived, went to the door, they checked for the stamp and I was able to bypass the whole xray on exit...

So sometimes its worth having a chat with the roaming customs/quarantine staff.

G

Thank you for the info.
    But I am skeptical whether that will work for me if I am going to SYD next time. I know those officers have gone through a profiling procedure. So they know or the have their own mind which pax will get waved away like what you experienced.

Comment

That has been happening for a while and a reason I seek out the roving customs officers (they wander around baggage claim area). If you are deemed "low risk", they will stamp and you get to use the domestic lane (not emergency exit!). Domestic lane exists because a number of international flights have a tag leg between the main cities in Australia thus there are some wholly domestic passengers.

"Low risk" normally means aussies and kiwis except those arriving from certain origins (and except those the immigration officer has marked the card with the code for customs checks). At exceptionally busy times, passengers living in other low risk destinations may also get lucky.

There was a while last year where I had 100% success at doing this at SYD, but my last couple of times have not been so successful.

Sadly I suspect SQ LPP is right and he is unlikely to get the stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr G View Post
        Hey there team,

Arrived home in Syd international airport...
        The place was absolutely packed with a queue going for miles for the green lane...
        Whilst waiting to collect my bags I noticed a quarantine guy talking to people and stamping there brown immigration forms...

Now normally I avoid these guys like the plague however I had a feeling and made sure I caught his eye. Sure enough he came over and discussed my card.
        As I had ticked all no's and did not seem to set any alarm bells off with him, he stamped my card and said I could use the door in the corner: an emergency exit with a security guard standing next to it.

Bags arrived, went to the door, they checked for the stamp and I was able to bypass the whole xray on exit...

So sometimes its worth having a chat with the roaming customs/quarantine staff.

G
        It's quite a common thing, they tend to approach the first batch of passengers from the flight at the belt - normally F/J passengers or FFs with unused fast track passes .

Comment

Working...
        X