Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out-of-the-ordinary countries you'd like to visit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
    To my mind, to visit most of the ME countries is no big deal, even the likes of Saudi Arabia and Iran, much less a far more open and visited one like Israel. If you're more the street culture than ancient history/culture sort, Iran could even be substituted by a visit to the southern burbs of Beirut or otherwise known as Northern Hizbullahstan.

At the moment, I would classify Libya, Syria and Iraq as amongst the more out of the ordinary and interesting ME countries to visit. Having lived in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and now Israel, I'm thinking of spending a few months in one of the Maghrebi countries, but will need to brush up my French before that. If I could live without reliable broadband internet access for more than a month I'd go to Syria, but it's also a bitch to get visas especially from Israel.

From the point of view as a somewhat jaded ME resident, the most out of the ordinary place I've visited is probably Papua New Guinea, Madang in particular, although there's a larger than what I expected S'porean community in Port Moresby.
    I lived in PNG (Port Moresby for 2 years) near a fast food restaurant called Big Rooster. It was on a cliff overlooking the sea. I wish it was safer to live there though. Our house got robbed 7 times in our first year and we kept getting stuck up in the car at night.

I want to go to Mongolia. My dad had to go there to launch Tiger beer because he is the head of business development. He showed me so many pictures and I really want to go there but my mom isn't keen.
    Last edited by viraj735; 3 January 2009, 09:14 PM.
    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

On my list - North Korea; North Korea and North Korea (and maybe Antarctica) [edited to add: Nepal/Tibet]

I've been to Mongolia - very beautiful country (especially if you leave Ulaanbaatar).
      Last edited by zxcvbn; 4 January 2009, 04:12 PM.
      zxcvbn

Comment

Seconding many of the replies here while throwing on an unmentioned contender:

Bhutan. I've read stories of it's secluded-ness but meeting a Bhutanese when I lived in Japan made me even more curious on visiting this little nation!

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
          I lived in PNG (Port Moresby for 2 years) near a fast food restaurant called Big Rooster. It was on a cliff overlooking the sea. I wish it was safer to live there though. Our house got robbed 7 times in our first year and we kept getting stuck up in the car at night.

I want to go to Mongolia. My dad had to go there to launch Tiger beer because he is the head of business development. He showed me so many pictures and I really want to go there but my mom isn't keen.
          We may know each other or I may know your dad? And I know of a mate from PNG who went to Mongolia to launch Tiger beer.

Was a consultant for SP Brewery and was in PNG for nearly half a year (on/off).
          My short TR.

Comment

Madagascar, Nepal, Libya (desert area), Kerguelen Islands (because of a book I read), Greenland, Alaska.
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by N751PR View Post
              Seconding many of the replies here while throwing on an unmentioned contender:

Bhutan. I've read stories of it's secluded-ness but meeting a Bhutanese when I lived in Japan made me even more curious on visiting this little nation!
              I was supposed to go to Bhutan a couple of years ago. Problems getting a visa within a short window I could do without my passport scuppered that trip though It is still on my list of places to go (along with about 90 odd countries I have yet to visit).

Comment

Working...
              X