Inflight Garlic Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflight Garlic Bread

As I wait for my post-carbs coma after a lunch of pasta with a side of garlic bread, I'm pondering the question in the title. I'm always unable to resist picking out the garlic bread from the bread basket, but I don't recall it ever turning out crispy. (The closest thing has been on Traitor Air , when the bread was brought out still semi-wrapped in tin foil.)

Should I give up hope, or should I continue on my quixotic quest for decent airline garlic bread?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

I've always found the SQ garlic bread less than ideal - too hard I think (maybe due to dehydration on board) ?
    J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Have to say, when I experienced the garlic bread in F (courtesy of CGK) I thought it was pretty good - I think that the copious quantities of Krug helped it along somewhat and maybe dulled my memory

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        As I wait for my post-carbs coma after a lunch of pasta with a side of garlic bread, I'm pondering the question in the title. I'm always unable to resist picking out the garlic bread from the bread basket, but I don't recall it ever turning out crispy. (The closest thing has been on Traitor Air , when the bread was brought out still semi-wrapped in tin foil.)

Should I give up hope, or should I continue on my quixotic quest for decent airline garlic bread?
        Give up , give up..... No.... kidding. Hey, I thought you said you travel mostly in cattle class?

Tried it everytime but only once it came out too soggy. I prefer mine crispy but so far I think will be the holy grail. Is there such a thing as a perfect garlic bread in the air?

Comment

Can't say I"ve been a fan of garlic bread in the air either, even flying SQ F (although they do a good job with it ).

Comment

From the whole run so far, the garlic bread is one of the inconsistent items on SQ. Some flights, the garlic bread look soggy. Some flights, they are so crispy dry.

Comment

I was about to give up on their soggy or hard garlic bread too until this flight to NRT when they served very good garlic bread! Most of my flights out from SIN tend to have better garlic bread though. So don't give up jjpb3!

Comment

I agree that SQ's inflight garlic bread tends to be either soggy or too dry and hard. The latter problem can be solved with a healthy dose of olive oil. The former problem, well, I eat it anyway, with olive oil too. It's a tasty treat for one's dried-out palate thanks to flying. And it's certainly better than the "rolls" that most airlines serve in-flight, which could double as doorstops.

That photo makes it look YUMMY, SQchap.

Comment

Just remembered to report back to this thread.
                  The best inflight garlic bread I have ever tasted was on SQ15 SFO-ICN in F last month.
                  Not too soggy not too hard. Just perfect.

Comment

On my very last flight that I was on this year, SQ63 (BKK-SIN), poor me was kept waiting for the garlic bread as I wanted to snap a picture of my complete meal. By the time the bread basket finally came and I took my perfect picture, the passenger beside me had almost finished his lunch.
                    My Cafe Adventures
                    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

So far, the garlic bread that I've taken on board turned out completely soaked in butter..... yummy!!

The only exceptions were my flights to Capetown which came out just right, with a nice buttery insides and the crust had a nice bite, not too hard and not soggy...

Comment

It is just not ideal for garlic bread to be served on board, maybe?

I always prefer croissants...but they seems to be shrinking of late!

Comment

Working...
                        X