SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Small Talk

Old 6th September 2007, 04:48 AM   #1
HUGE AL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez
Default The quality of champagnes served onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD View Post
Piper has now been replaced by "Charles Heidsieck" in J which I believe still belongs to the same company as Piper. Anyone knows which is better tough?
They are extremely similar in body weight & style but do have some differences. Piper has more fruit; Charles is dryer, toasty, and yeasty.

One is not better than another as it comes down to personal taste. Price wise, the Charles usually fetches around $29 while the Piper is at $22.

And as long as we're talking about the Heidsieck nepotonistic family, there is one other out there: Heidsieck Monopole Diamant Bleu which comes in a vintage only. This is where SQ should go as it is quite good -- light, citrus, pretty style (like a Perrier Jout) with no toast, yeast, or butter...rather apple, pear, and tangerine. Unfortunately, since the grandchildren took over, they doubled the price to around $90.

Your Friendly SQTalk Sommelier.
Old 6th September 2007, 07:31 AM   #2
taipeiflyer
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGE AL View Post
They are extremely similar in body weight & style but do have some differences. Piper has more fruit; Charles is dryer, toasty, and yeasty.

One is not better than another as it comes down to personal taste. Price wise, the Charles usually fetches around $29 while the Piper is at $22.

And as long as we're talking about the Heidsieck nepotonistic family, there is one other out there: Heidsieck Monopole Diamant Bleu which comes in a vintage only. This is where SQ should go as it is quite good -- light, citrus, pretty style (like a Perrier Jout) with no toast, yeast, or butter...rather apple, pear, and tangerine. Unfortunately, since the grandchildren took over, they doubled the price to around $90.

Your Friendly SQTalk Sommelier.
well done HugeAL. When we get together in LA, i will leave the wine ordering to you. =)
taipeiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
HUGE AL

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, A3 Gold, LM, BA Gold, AA 1MM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D7, SPG Life Plat, Hertz Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer View Post
well done HugeAL. When we get together in LA, i will leave the wine ordering to you. =)
Thanks, man. I send you a PM loooooong ago, but was ignored. Are you around? Trip to TLV got pushed...
Old 6th September 2007, 04:10 PM   #4
KeithMEL
SQTalk Founder

Location: Officially KeithSYD but can't be bothered to change my handle

We have a resident Sommelier!

Hiedsieck Monopole? Is that the champagne served on BA J? I quite like it personally but a lot of the BAers on TOF seem to think it's battery acid.
Old 6th September 2007, 04:11 PM   #5
SQflyergirl
SQTalk Founder

Programs: Kali inilah!

I'm a cigarette sommelier. Anyone want to know the differences?
SQflyergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:14 PM   #6
HUGE AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMEL View Post
Hiedsieck Monopole? Is that the champagne served on BA J? I quite like it personally but a lot of the BAers on TOF seem to think it's battery acid.
Blue Top, right? If so, it is the same. Hey, different strokes for different folks. I recall I posted on FT about how they pulled all French Champagne (the only kind) from all NW TP flights...and I sort of got flamed for doing so. Another reason I like this forum MUCH better. Not to bash FT, but with so many people on there, some just want to rip on others for no good reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQflyergirl View Post
I'm a cigarette sommelier. Anyone want to know the differences?
SQFG, after the cryptic "Watermelon Club" thing (thanks to taipeiflyer for clearing that up) I think you should change your SN to SQcrypticgirl. But I do want to know...
Old 6th September 2007, 05:18 PM   #7
SQflyergirl
SQTalk Founder

Programs: Kali inilah!

Quote:

But I do want to know...
Put the thing in your mouth (not the end with the filter) - light up and enjoy.
SQflyergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:27 PM   #8
jhm

Quote:
Blue Top, right? If so, it is the same.
It does have a blue coloured top but I'm not sure it's really the "Heidsieck Monopole Diamant Bleu which comes in a vintage only" which you describe above.

To check, I'll ask for a bottle of the battery acid...I mean, champagne on my next BA CE fight.
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:32 PM   #9
jhm

Ah, okay - I had a search on TOF and see that what we get in mainline BA Club Europe is Heidsieck & Co Monopole (what the BA board simplycall Monopole aka battery acid, shampoo etc)! However:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...89&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa
I think I have it now -- BA is serving the Heidsieck & Co Monopole Brut Reserve, not the Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve. A shame, really, as the CHBR is very good, and the Blue Top thoroughly mediocre...

The Heidsiecks are hard to keep track of, as there are three champagne houses that have parts of the name: Charles Heidsieck, Heidsieck & Co Monopole, and Piper-Heidsieck, which are all offshoots of the original house of Heidsieck.
Old 6th September 2007, 05:33 PM   #10
HUGE AL

I stand corrected:

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/wine...duct_id=119975

my apologies to the group.

I can't believe BA is serving THAT. Although I don't personally think it's that bad, the price point of $30 is insulting for the price of the BA ticket...which you cannot upgrade if you purchase it through a TA.

Last edited by HUGE AL; 6th September 2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: jhm posts too fast
HUGE AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:49 PM   #11
HUGE AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykelaz View Post
So is JAL and ANA.
I totally love those two airlines for that...and the fact that JAL serves Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame Vintage and ANA (which I'm loving more and more) may be the only airline left serving Krug if SQ pulls it.
Old 6th September 2007, 05:56 PM   #12
jhm

Quote:
ANA (which I'm loving more and more) may be the only airline left serving Krug if SQ pulls it.
Depending on the flight, QF F serve Krug as well:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968

(On my recent QF F SIN-LHR, they had Dom.)
Old 6th September 2007, 06:02 PM   #13
jjpb3
SQTalk Founder

I think it's time to start a new thread with this discussion.

jjpb3
jjpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 06:35 PM   #14
HUGE AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpb3 View Post
I think it's time to start a new thread with this discussion.

jjpb3
Agreed. Much appreciated! (I am liking the "makeup" thread, though...)
Old 6th September 2007, 06:39 PM   #15
KeithMEL
SQTalk Founder

Location: Officially KeithSYD but can't be bothered to change my handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
Depending on the flight, QF F serve Krug as well:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968

(On my recent QF F SIN-LHR, they had Dom.)
It's a lottery amongst 1 of 4 - Dom, Krug, Veuve, PH.