Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMI - it's over. Thanks for the memories Pune/Donington/Keeley/Joanna!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post

So beware.. once BMI folds and their issuing plate ceases to exist... so do all their tickets, awards or revenue. Refunds may take weeks if not months to process. Or it may even be taken through to the courts as the airline clearing houses will not process any payments for the 236 issued tickets anymore.
    The scenario you mentioned is unlikely to be repeated in the bmi case. There are lots of conjectures and speculation in the forums which is further exacerbated courtesy of IAG PR department as well as the bearded white man.

The only problem is the UK/regional situation as BMI together with BA are the major domestic carriers together with perhaps easyjet. The red carrier does not do domestic flights.

Those who follow the news will likely know the outcome.

I would remind you that the latest major bankcruptcy carrier in APAC was Ansett and all "ticketed" Ansett paper stock were honoured. And to the kiasu people, please do not call BMI and ask stupid questions such as i demand a paper confirmation for my redemption booking or why can't you email me when bmi will close.

Comment

• BA given green light !

At least we won't lose our miles, as LH would have surely wrapped BD up if they had said no or delayed...

The owner of British Airways, IAG, has received approval for the takeover of BMI from current owners Lufthansa.

European authorities cleared the deal after IAG agreed to give up landing slots at Heathrow airport.

Together IAG, which also owns Iberia, and BMI would have controlled 53% of landing slots at Britain's biggest airport.

Virgin urged regulators to block the deal saying that it distorts competition in the aviation market.

IAG reached a deal worth £172.5m ($273m) to buy BMI late last year.

The European Commission said its decision was conditional on the release of 14 slots at London's Heathrow airport in order to allow other airlines greater access.

It was also dependent on IAG committing to carry connecting passengers to feed the long-haul flights of competing airlines out of London Heathrow.

Opposition

EU's Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said in a statement: "The commitments package includes an appropriate number of very sought-after slots at London Heathrow as well as far-reaching feeder arrangements as regards connecting passengers.

"We are therefore satisfied that the competitive dynamics will be maintained so as to ensure choice and quality of air services for passengers."

The takeover had been strongly opposed by rival airline Virgin Atlantic.

Earlier, in a letter to Mr Almunia, Virgin founder Richard Branson wrote: "I am really battling to understand why the Commission seems to be bending over backwards to clear this deal at phase one rather than submitting it to the proper scrutiny intended in phase two of the clearance process."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17559317

Comment

• I actually started out this journey hoping BA would lose and the status quo would remain - will happily admit I was wrong, because close to the end it became clear that if IAG had lost - we all would have also.

Comment

• I wonder if BD*G's who are also existing BAEC Golds might be able to snag a CCR card or something... After all, there must be tons of incoming BD*G to accommodate.
          Last edited by milehighj; 31 March 2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            I wonder if BD*G's who are also existing BAEC Golds might be able to snag a CCR card or something... After all, there must be tons of incoming BD*G to accommodate.
            I think it would be more feasible if BA would compare the current BD*G members' total qualifying elite status miles with theirs and give out statuses accordingly.

That means maybe only those who have earned above 75K status miles on BD may become Gold on BA.

But speculation aside, we really do not know. Its like us wanting to know what will happen to the world on Dec 21, 2012 !

Comment

• SQ expect BD to be out of *A by the end of May apparently.

Comment

• I'm just relieved that this outcome appears to ensure that we'll be able to actually travel on our BD-issued redemptions for end of year... Being a natural worrier and all.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  I'm just relieved that this outcome appears to ensure that we'll be able to actually travel on our BD-issued redemptions for end of year... Being a natural worrier and all.
                  I hope so, that's the opinion of the Pune call centre also

They were still encouraging me to book whatever I wanted, so I burnt another 45k and now I'm left with 3k so it's time to credit elsewhere now

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    SQ expect BD to be out of *A by the end of May apparently.
                    Better news...
                    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 3 April 2012, 10:14 AM.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by LH North American Call Center
                      I see a memo here that says, "BMI Diamond Club Members will be converted to Miles and More with miles and status being migrated..." Oops, this was dated May 2010 and I guess it was never implemented... A Supervisor has informed me that you'll just have to wait until the 20th to see what happens.

I had my hopes up there for a good 15 seconds!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

• I have one last redemption to make this week, but I was holding out for some survey points to post, wonder if they will before the program ends! Otherwise have to top up with some purchased miles.
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          I have one last redemption to make this week, but I was holding out for some survey points to post, wonder if they will before the program ends! Otherwise have to top up with some purchased miles.
                          Those last round Of surveys won't post till t+40 - sometime early may.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

Those last round Of surveys won't post till t+40 - sometime early may.
                            definitely cant wait until then, guess ill be buying some points and making my last redemption Melbourne to Paris . <sigh>
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• I called today to cancel a booking and got an English lady not the Pune call centre.

Comment

• In Airlinesroute, they say BMI will leave Star Alliance on 18 April. Based on press release made by OZ.
                                http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/04/bd-star/

Comment

Working...
                                X