London Favorite Hang Outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Favorite Hang Outs

I know many of us on this board travel to London often and as a matter of fact, many of you are actually based there. I myself is a regular visitor as business activities has brought me here numerously and I've still got two more separate visits for the remainder of this year.

As a result, I've picked out quite a few places in which I enjoy hanging out during my spare time. One place I would not be denying in Harrod's Knightsbridge. To be honest I have become as addicted to this place as I have with SQ F. I just adore the Deli, Bakery, and Eating outlets inside. I cannot recall any other department store that is so comprehensive. Food, furniture, real estate, sporting goods, electronics, whatever you name it they've got it. With the tube station adjacent to the historic style building, it creates more incentive to go there from pure convenience.

Another wonderful place I normally hangout is the benches by the pond at Kensington Park where after buying several afternoon snacks, love to go there to sit and eat. And during active days can even watch dogs chasing squirrels.

Just a warning to those who plan on taking pictures with those wannabe statue posers (i.e. draped in gold & grey paints) near the eye besides the Thames to have some cash in handy because for a good portion of their incomes is how they make money. Pesonally I have walked pass by several times but have never posed with them as I feel them to be a tourist trap. But some of you may actually find it a unique experience.

And if you enjoy company and don't mind being tackled and swarmed by a gang of pigeons, Trafalgar Square is the place to be.

Even though Paris is still my #1 destination of preference in Europe, my routine visits to London have somehow convinced me of this hotbed global spot for visitors. Though I wish they'd do something about that dump known as Heathrow. A shame on what is dubed as a world class city would house an airport reminiscent of a 3rd world atmosphere.

So there you have it! Harrod's and Kensington Park are my ideal spots for hanging out during my spare time away from meetings and appointments. I'm sure many of you have your own places as well.
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

My favourite places to hang out are The Soho Lounge on Dean St and Digress on Beak St - both are around the Soho area. The Purple Bar at the Sanderson Hotel is also very cool, like one of those W Hotel lobby bars. Another gem at the West End is The Halfmoon Putney with lots of great live bands, including some big name bands.

I also like a few of the more alternative spots around the Hoxton/Shoreditch area, including Trafik (fantastic cocktails and DJs), Gramaphone (great music venue), Cargo (awesome bands, cool crowd), omg I could go on and on. So i'll just conclude by saying - too many to list!

Oh and who can forget Heaven near Trafalgar Sq...

When I have free time in the day I like to check out the Food Hall in Harrods. The cafes in the general Oxford St/Soho area are nice to sit at to people watch, as well as grabbing a decent cuppa.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 November 2006, 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Whilst I agree that grazing from one food outlet to another in Harrods is a pleasant way to spend some time, I've always felt that the shop is a bit touristy for my liking.

The food halls at Selfridges and Fortnum & Mason are also good to wander around.

When waiting for the gf, I sometimes hang out in Waterstones on Piccadilly (before Fortnum & Mason) - 5 floors of books (apparently Europe's biggest ?), a Costa coffee shop in the basement and usually not a problem to find a sofa somewhere to sit down with a pile of travel books and read about where to go for the next holiday!

Comment

Working...
      X