Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1h 45min enough for international transfer at LAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1h 45min enough for international transfer at LAX?

MANFlyer
    1h 45min enough for international transfer at LAX?
    « Thread started on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:25pm »
    I am fortunate enough to have managed to avoid the alleged hell hole that is LAX up to now. However, I am looking at a possible routing that would see me arrive on NZ1 from LHR at 1930, and depart on SQ19 at 2115.
    So, to you LAX regulars out there. Is it doable, without being too risky ?.
    TIA.

StarG
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:12pm »
    Paging Mr. CGK...

jhm
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:24pm »
    I have a 2:15 connection from SQ NRT-LAX to AC LAX-YVR which I had assumed was more than enough but MANFlyer's post is starting to worry me! AND I've been told by CGK to stock up on water before joining the LAX immigration queue...

CGK
    « Reply #3 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:01am »
    Officially, the minimum connecting time at LAX is 2 hours. And I tried to book one time FRA-LAX-NRT with 1 hour 50 minutes connection, and SQ can't do the booking.
    In your case, NZ1 will arrive at T2, not TBIT. Last time I arrive there it was empty in the immigration hall. But perhaps due to my late arrival about 30 minutes. Anyhow, per reading the threads in NZ forum, it seems that T2 sometimes have long line of immigration which make those C pax unable to visit the NZ lounge prior to the departure of NZ1 to AKL.
    Anyway, if you don't have any bags to check-in, you might pull this off, by doing booking in separate PNR. Just rush from the plane to the immigration, and I know you are NOT Indonesian, thus, as easy as it could be to enter the US. Then walk to TBIT.
    Oh and ask Ms M to send telex to LAX Station manager that you will pick-up your BP 50 minutes prior to the flight.

MANFlyer
    « Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:09am »
    I'm surprised SQ would not even do the booking !. I did a few under 'legal' limit with SQ in Manchester and they said 'we'll book it, but it's at you're own risk'.
    I may have fun getting a D class on NZ1 anyway. Will drop Ms M a line and see what she says.

CGK
    « Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:36am »
    on Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:09am, MANFlyer wrote:
    ... they said 'we'll book it, but it's at you're own risk'.

That will be the answer as well...

9V-JKL
    « Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:55am »
    I don't recommend you doing that. I'm quite sure you'll have bags check-in and I think; CGK may know better; you'll have to clear them through customs. If not, good.
    But if you do have to and T2 doesn't have the re-check service in T2 like at TBIT, you'll have to wheel the bags to TBIT. That's where its really bad. You'll need to queue and have yr bags inspected, queue to collect them back and then can you check-in for yr SQ flight.

shortfinals
    « Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:02pm »
    1hr 45 in LAX? I fully recommend it, if, you're the type who likes to draw cards in Blackjack whilst sitting on 20.

MANFlyer
    « Reply #8 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:24pm »
    on Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:02pm, shortfinals wrote:
    1hr 45 in LAX? I fully recommend it, if, you're the type who likes to draw cards in Blackjack whilst sitting on 20.

OK, point taken.
    I'm now looking at two options, both of which is with me hoping to upgrade to LH F with evouchers:
    1) MAN-FRA-SFO, connecting to SQ15 through ICN to SIN
    2) MAN-FRA-LAX, connecting to SQ11 through NRT to SIN.
    I know SFO is infinitely preferable, and I do like SQ15 and ICN, but comments welcome. I haven't checked availability with Ms M for any of these yet by the way !.
    « Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:41pm by MANFlyer »

jhm
    « Reply #9 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:27pm »
    on Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:02pm, shortfinals wrote:

Or Russian Roulette with one empty bullet chamber!
    Is 2 hours 15 minutes okay ?

CGK
    « Reply #10 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 12:27am »
    on Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:24pm, MANFlyer wrote:
    I'm now looking at two options, both of which is with me hoping to upgrade to LH F with evouchers:
    1) MAN-FRA-SFO, connecting to SQ15 through ICN to SIN
    2) MAN-FRA-LAX, connecting to SQ11 through NRT to SIN.

I know SFO is infinitely preferable, and I do like SQ15 and ICN, but comments welcome. I haven't checked availability with Ms M for any of these yet by the way !.
    FRA-LAX LH LAX-SIN SQ11 in Sep will have 2 hours connection. It's legal, and I don't think you will have any problem doing this. Both flights should have Connexion on board.
    FRA-SFO LH SFO-SIN SQ15 in Sep will have more than 2 hours connection. No Connexion on SQ15 though. I am not so fond of SQ15 service.
    But doing both options you mentioned above, requires you to stay overnight in FRA, since the first flight out from MAN at 6:45am will not allow you to have enough connecting time in FRA. Considering you want to upgrade to F on LH, FCT should be great with a special car to the plane. (I know you are not me who needs visa to enter Europe)
    Just throwing an idea...
    LH 4859 MAN-6:45 FRA-9:25
    LH 450 FRA-14:00 LAX-16:30
    SQ 19 LAX-21:15 SIN-05:40**
    Note: I made a mistake in quoting. Still learning guys!
    « Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2006, 04:31am by CGK »

CGK
    « Reply #11 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 12:29am »
    on Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:27pm, jhm wrote:
    Is 2 hours 15 minutes okay ?

You should be okay. Arriving from SQ12, there should be a drop-off transfer bags after customs at TBIT. Thus, no need to drag it to T2 where AC departs. I usually walk from TBIT to T2 on departure level. Nice sunny California weather...

jhm
    « Reply #12 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 01:04am »
    on Aug 4th, 2006, 12:29am, CGK wrote:
    You should be okay.

Thanks, CGK and then as per your earlier advice once I get to T2, it's straight into the NZ (rather than the next door AC) lounge for a shower, some food and a bit of booze.
    I am learning ... slowly!

MANFlyer
    « Reply #13 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 05:17am »
    on Aug 4th, 2006, 12:27am, CGK wrote:
    I am not so fond of SQ15 service.
    Just throwing an idea...
    LH 4859 MAN-6:45 FRA-9:25
    LH 450 FRA-14:00 LAX-16:30
    SQ 19 LAX-21:15 SIN-05:40**

Of course you don't like SQ15, there is no F.
    I did look at that option above and it's good one, but it gets me into Changi at 0540 on a Sunday morning. SQ15 is due at 0100 and SQ11 at 0120, which as this is a Saturday night would allow me to meet up with friends for a drink.
    demue should still be out, if he isn't 'busy' or still in HKG. I met up with him at 2am on my last visit after waiting for him to get back from HKG. He can return the favour next time.
    « Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2006, 05:18am by MANFlyer »

CGK
    « Reply #14 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 05:38am »
    on Aug 4th, 2006, 05:17am, MANFlyer wrote:
    Of course you don't like SQ15, there is no F.

Hmmm... it must be you the one who post that would rather be in 2-class JY plane because you have a syndrome of there is another class in fromt of your J seat?
    For me, SQ15 is not desireable ex SFO, for not being able to connect to SQ17 at ICN to get additional sectors.

MANFlyer
    « Reply #15 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 4:28pm »
    on Aug 4th, 2006, 05:38am, CGK wrote:
    For me, SQ15 is not desireable ex SFO, for not being able to connect to SQ17 at ICN to get additional sectors.

I suppose you can do that ex-YVR by switching onto SQ15 ?. Not sure why a TPP needs sectors anyway but there you go.

Comment

Working...
    X