• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuching/Silk Air/Car Hire/Hotels

SQFANKuching/Silk Air/Car Hire/Hotels
    « Thread started on: Sep 8th, 2006, 05:54am »
    Guys & Gals
    I have so many questions. Can you help?
    * Can anyone comment on Kuching airport and possible lounges there? KCH info is so hard to come by in Google. So far managed to see limited airport pictures.
    * What about car hire? Which company(ies) is/are there? Any good ones you recommend? Am clueless about cost...
    * Any hotels you would recommend? I was thinking of Holiday Inn (KCH) as well as the Holiday Inn (Damai Beach). Did a bit of research...so most prob both.
    * Any comments about Silk Air? Have not tried them before. Is that right as PPS, I cannot use SKL in SIN?
    Thanks....

jhm
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 07:48am »
    on Sep 8th, 2006, 05:54am, SQFAN wrote:
    * Any comments about Silk Air? Have not tried them before. Is that right as PPS, I cannot use SKL in SIN?

I flew MI a few years ago when there was a special promotion - a free MI ex-SIN return flight with every SQ LHR-SIN return. Choice of places like RGN, HKT etc and we went to REP. I can't really remember much about the flight.
    As a PPS, surely you have access to the SKL regardless of your airline ?
    « Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2006, 07:49am by jhm »

SQFAN
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 2:36pm »
    on Sep 8th, 2006, 07:48am, jhm wrote:
    As a PPS, surely you have access to the SKL regardless of your airline ?

That's for TPP only, I'm afraid..

jjpb3
    « Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 6:52pm »
    on Sep 8th, 2006, 2:36pm, SQFAN wrote:
    That's for TPP only, I'm afraid..

Is this a recent enhancement? My membership guide says a QPP has access to the Raffles side of the SKL when travelling on other airlines (the wording is: "If you are travelling Economy Class on any airline, you can enjoy the Raffles side area of the lounge"). TPPs have First side access anytime.

SQFAN
    « Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 7:27pm »
    I had a look at the Silk Air website and the say PPS are entitled to use the Premier Lounge....
    Oh well, am going to try my luck at SKL.

MANFlyer
    « Reply #5 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 11:36pm »
    Ooh I missed this before. Bl**dy holiday !. Anyway, my three penneth :
    1) Kuching Airport has just undergone a rather large facelift/expansion and is looking pretty good. The last time I was there (about 2 years ago) it wasn't particularly nice but it functioned. There was just a small MH Golden Lounge there for all to use, but it's not bad actually with some decent hot food.
    2) Didn't hire a car so can't help there I'm afraid. I have hired a car many time in Kota Kinabalu though and it's always been fine. Good old Proton Wira's.
    3) I would highly recommend the Hilton in Kuching. It's generally available for fabulous rates and the staff are excellent. We got upgraded to a huge suite (this doesn't happen much even as a Diamond..) with lounge access. Great little exec lounge with nice views.
    4) Silk Air are fine, expecially for short hops like SIN-KCH. For the longer flights I'll defer to the Silk Air long haul leg flyer shortfinals.
    You can definitely use the SKL if PPS, regardless of airline flown.
    « Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2006, 11:38pm by MANFlyer »

SQFAN
    « Reply #6 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 8:11pm »
    Thanks ManFlyer.
    Booked Holiday Inn Damai Lagoon Resort as well as Kuching Hilton. Trying to sort out the car hire next. Fingers crossed.

SQFAN
    « Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 7:28pm »
    post padding
    For posterity:
    KCH airport is spanking-ish new. Based on my SIN-KCH-SIN, Silk Air J is better than MH F anyday! ... in terms of the service, seat, presentation of food, food quality and nice looking female FAs.
    Car Hire: Did not manage to use that but upon exit, there is a counter with usual car hire companies.
    Hilton Kuching is great if you have the free Hilton Honors Gold card. At least it means something in Malaysia as I got upgraded to an Executive room on the 11th floor. Absolutely briliant! Worth coming back for a second visit. The lounge is on the 12th floor and has very nice views of the river.
    Holiday Inn Damai Lagoon Resort should be avoided. With IC Ambassador status, the upgraded room was marginally better but had old TV, very used bathrooms, etc. It was very quiet as well. Was told that the Holiday Inn Damai Beach Resort is busier with foreigners.
Working...
X