Buying watches in Zurich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying watches in Zurich

Hey guys, my brother is currently in Zurich and I was thinking if it's cheaper to get watches there than in UK or Malaysia? Would it be cheaper in the airport, or is there any where specific that you guys know of? I'm eyeing on this Bell & Ross BR 03-92.

The normal white-faced one is retailing at RM7,800 after discount, that's about £1330.

Any advise is much appreciated!

Cheers

Definitely cheaper than the UK -- either in town in London or LHR airside. The issue with the luxury watch boutique in ZRH airport is that the selection won't be as extensive as in the downtown stores. Just remember to check both upstairs and downstairs at ZRH.

I bought an IWC at the Bucherer on Bahnhofstrasse, and the service was impeccable. I forgot what exactly the salesman did, but as he figured out that I was not a Swiss resident, he did something so that I didn't have to pay Swiss taxes on the watch.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

From personal experience so far, I'd get something either in Hong Kong or in the U.S. In central Europe, and especially Switzerland, I have no clue on the prices, though. There may be quite competitive, there may be not (comparatively). Perhaps others could help on this.

This particular BR 03-92 sells for approx. 1,470 pounds at the wholesaler I have had contact with in the past (located in Washington DC). So compared to the U.S., price is good. I would assume price in the U.K. would not be that cheap as well, but this is not based on facts.

Talking about wristwatches, a very interesting subject indeed, a major issue for watch enthusiasts is availability. There are particular models which have almost immediate availability in the U.S. (provided you have a good retailer or wholesaler), while at the same time the same models may have 3 year waiting list in Europe and 7 year waiting list in Japan. There are few watch models which are 'status symbol' in Japan, and reportedly sell for more than double the U.S. or E.U. price in central boutique stores in Tokyo.
      Last edited by N_Architect; 13 September 2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Bought a Tag in Luzern 14 years ago. After VAT deduction, the watch was still slightly cheaper in Singapore!

My mom and brother have managed to get pretty good deals on various Swiss watches in Singapore. Might be a good idea to shop around in Singapore first.

Comment

i'm a watch enthusiast and visit watch forums regularly... and have personal experience watch shopping in switzerland.

the general consensus (over 18 months ago) is that most people don't get good prices for watches there, especially at the airport.

not sure about what prices are like since the economy went a-tumbling...

cheers!

p/s: if i were you, i would post in a B&R forum at TZ/WUS/purists asking for the best places to buy in the areas you'll be at; locals will chime up with recommendations and ball park prices.

Comment

Working...
          X