Christmas travel plans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas travel plans ?

Given that it's nearly October (hasn't the year gone quick!), I was just wondering what Christmas travel plans we all may have ? I know some of you have already booked, e.g. SIN via the FRA FCT, a trip to see the SYD New Year's fireworks, a look around Incheon and 5 (!!!) nights of excitement staying in Shanghai! I'm sure others may also have plans ?

As for myself, I've left it a bit late as I'm still considering my options. However, given the very nice photos taken by CGK earlier this year, I may end up doing some sightseeing in CMB. Award availability is of course limited at this late stage for the pre-X'mas period so I've just booked BA to PEK tonight (in case it disappears) and I'll ponder how I get from there to CMB.

For a more interesting experience (though obviously not in SQfg's league!), I'm thinking of an internal Chinese flight down to somewhere in the southwest (e.g. KMG) and from there to SGN, BKK or SIN before ending up in CMB ? Any suggestions would be welcome!
    Last edited by jhm; 1 October 2007, 09:13 AM.

For christmas I'm going to be flying out to YVR to go skiing in whistler as well as roaming around downtown vancouver. I'll be flying on the "friendly" skies so a trip report should be coming

About your travels in China, have you thought about Sanya?? I've been there, just loved it! Stayed at the Marriot on yanlong bay, the beach was amazing. Sanya has five-star resorts without the five-star chaos of hawaii. Fairly exclusive. White sands, clear water. I took Xiamen Airlines-comfy seats, friendly poor-english speaking staff, and crazy pilots!!!!
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

I'll be in good ole MEL over Christmas, for the first time in many years. The folks are flying down here to be with me over turkey and pudding.

I've got PVG in early Dec, as some sort of post-exams and pre-Christmas celebration. Then my RTW in mid-Jan. Travel budget all spoken for.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I'll be heading home for the holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
          About your travels in China, have you thought about Sanya?? I've been there, just loved it! Stayed at the Marriot on yanlong bay, the beach was amazing. Sanya has five-star resorts without the five-star chaos of hawaii. Fairly exclusive. White sands, clear water. I took Xiamen Airlines-comfy seats, friendly poor-english speaking staff, and crazy pilots!!!!
          It all sounded so good until the last two words!

Thanks for the suggestion of Hainan - I've never been before. I see that besides the Marriott you mention, there's also a Hilton there and a MO opening at the beginning of next year so definitely a place worth checking out for a luxury "lounge on the beach" few days.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            It all sounded so good until the last two words!

Thanks for the suggestion of Hainan - I've never been before. I see that besides the Marriott you mention, there's also a Hilton there and a MO opening at the beginning of next year so definitely a place worth checking out for a luxury "lounge on the beach" few days.
            When I went to the airport in the afternoon, we were told that our flight was cancelled, so we were thrust off to some hotel in downtown. Turned out Xiamen was suffering a typhoon! So next day, plane departs. Little creeped from the altitude being a bit low and with the hills and mountains around. But we made it. The landing was the creepy bit, as the storm was passing with showers behind it. I wouldn't want to go into too many details

Sanya also has a nice Sheraton. I saw the hilton under construction while I was there, seemed like a nice property indeed! They're all along yalong bay, and the beach can only be accessed by hotel guests. Besides a cigarette or two, all the trash I saw during my 4 days was a green noodle cup. The water is very calm and little fishies swim by your feet. Sanya also has many nice jungles with native people. They do a whole "deadly disneyland" thing with vine swinging by your face and an "amusement park." I'm talking about pits of eels with poison darts for sale, chained baby monkeys for picture taking, raw mouse meat, and home-grown drugs! A very interesting experience. They designate straw hats to men and women. I was a bit younger then and looked more innocent. I was mistankenly given a girl's hat and the mouse man told me that if I ate some, it would be good for my dot dot dot. I passed..... But anyway, one is free to walk around villages, and pits with animal bone collections, a very cultural experience. Oh, and beware of the native girls, they get a bit fingery. And when I say that, I mean with your nose!
            Last edited by sqforever; 1 October 2007, 09:33 AM.
            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

as it seems I'll be flying down-under this Christmas. I still don't know whether I'll go for SQ from Zurich or Frankfurt but I'll be flying SQ for sure. I think I'm going to visit Sydney, Melbourne (hopefully I'm able to make my postgraduate or doctorate there at uni next year) and the - for me obvious visits - SIN, CGK, HKG.
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

ZQN at christmas for me, via SYD (And 380) and NZ to CHC.

MEL boxing day till NYE, then SYD for fireworks before coming home Should be nice

Comment

HKG for me with the missus from 21 to the 26. I am just that little bit off from 120000 so i think i can secure that upgrade from Y to J on the 300 ER for me and the missus

Comment

I will stay in Melb during christmas, as my parents are coming over. Probably will be going to NZ when they are here. I'm visiting BKK, KUL, SUB, and maybe some other places in Asia at the end of January.

Comment

I'm thinking of an internal Chinese flight down to somewhere in the southwest (e.g. KMG)
                      now THAT gives me an idea for a TR I've been meaning to put up

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        now THAT gives me an idea for a TR I've been meaning to put up
                        Looking forward to it.

Comment

As for myself, I've left it a bit late as I'm still considering my options. However, given the very nice photos taken by CGK earlier this year, I may end up doing some sightseeing in CMB.
                          BD awards to CMB seems easy to get via SIN. And yes, you should visit SriLanka, especially if you want to start a new trip ex-CMB.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            BD awards to CMB seems easy to get via SIN. And yes, you should visit SriLanka, especially if you want to start a new trip ex-CMB.
                            You mean a sightseeing tour of the airport ?

I'm going just before X'mas and from a quick check last night, there appears to be no availability to SIN or BKK from LHR etc. I'll check again later.

A certain someone who you met in ZHR has just ticketed today visits to the FRA FCT, the SIN SKL F (twice) and the airport tour mentioned above for an absurd number of miles - BD is great!

Comment

You mean a sightseeing tour of the airport ?

I'm going just before X'mas and from a quick check last night, there appears to be no availability to SIN or BKK from LHR etc. I'll check again later.

A certain someone who you met in ZHR has just ticketed today visits to the FRA FCT, the SIN SKL F (twice) and the airport tour mentioned above for an absurd number of miles - BD is great!
                              I see... you mean your ...
                              And I don't mean an airport tour of CMB. I mean literally visit SriLanka. Go to the city. Enjoy the good seafood!

Comment

Working...
                              X