Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Icelandic Summer and a side of London, Stockholm & Oslo (SQ, FI, SK, QR in J/Y)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite it being a short distance from the departure runway, the taxi was lengthy due to the queue of departure aircraft. Nothing unexpected at Heathrow.

Took the time to browse through the IFE system. Though nowhere near the best out there, it was a pretty decent system for the length of flights which FI flies. There was a selection of movies, including a few new releases, short features, music albums, obligatory flight map and more. The screen is of very good resolution as well, with a USB port beside the screen. I believe there are power sockets under the seats as well.

Finally we reached the runway and departed from Rwy27R for the 2.5hrs flight to Iceland. Boy, is the B757 noisy compared to the newer generation of aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB4nzBoXvF8

We would be chasing, and catching up with the sunset for the entire flight.

Taking a look at the buy-onboard menu.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Service started with the delivery of pre-ordered meal boxes (not many that I saw), followed by a round of beverage service and the BOB service.

Having had a bite at the lounge, I just opted for a cup of hot tea. Non-alcoholic beverages are free-of-charge.

Taking at a look at our current location. I then while the flight away on some music albums using my own SQ economy earphones (finally put into good use!).

Chasing the sunset

Visit to the retro-looking lavatory. Just the basic amenities inside.

View of the fully-packed cabin. Water and juices were served again prior to our descent into Iceland. Crew were generally friendly and efficient, no complaints.

My Travel Map

Comment

30min to Iceland

Starting the descent. We had caught up with the sunset and it actually got brighter nearer to Iceland.

Approach and landing into Keflavik Rwy19 ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SR7xChPsJY&t=44s

Parked at the gate. I believed the titleless A320 at the gate beside is an Icelandair-leased aircraft to cover for the grounded B737Max.

Disembarked.

It was a very pleasant and comfortable flight experience on Icelandair. Despite the hybrid concept, comfort is not compromised and spacious seats and pillows/blankets provided. A reasonable IFE system and friendly service also made it a very bearable ride for a European economy flight experience.

My Travel Map

Comment

Got our bags and headed to town via the Flybus airport bus.

After an hour on the road, we reached out hotel. Would be staying at Skuggi Hotel for the next 4 nights. The room, though not too big, was clean, modern and comfortable.

The included buffet breakfast was a great way to start the morning prior to our full-day tours.

After breakfast, we joined the Golden Circle tour, which focuses on sights not too far from Reykjavik. Landscape within Iceland is very varied, and near the Golden Circle region, it was more greenery.

At a pitstop, bought 2 of Iceland's favourite brands, an Orange Fanta-like soda and rich skyr yoghurt.

First stop is Thingvellir, technically where Americas and European tectonic plates split.

My Travel Map

Comment

Thingvellir sights and scenery

On to the next stop.

Quick lunch stop

Before visiting the Geysir. Little Geysir on the path in.

With daddy Geysir spouting every 5min further in.

Icelandic horses are so friendly and cute!

Last stop of the Golden Circle route is Gullfoss, a beautiful and grand waterfall.

My Travel Map

Comment

The falls are really grand.

Back to Reykjavik, and proceeded to the Blue Lagoon to soak the tiredness away.

Scenery and landscape around the Blue Lagoon was also enchanting.

It was an early start the next day as we proceeded to the sights along the Southern Coast.

Mars-looking landscape and ice-capped glaciers.

Along Diamond Beach

My Travel Map

Comment

The real highlight of the Southern Coast is the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. Really a sight to behold and certainly worth a visit!

Took a tour boat out into the lagoon to get up close to the icebergs.

You can get a feel and taste of pure glacier ice!

Grabbed a yummy lobster roll at a roadside stall at the lagoon.

More glaciers along the road back towards Reykjavik.

My Travel Map

Comment

Black sand beach at the town of Vik.

Scenery along the way

Last stop of the South Coast tour is Seljalandsfoss. Another beautiful waterfall, which you can walk behind it as well.

Back to Reykjavik and a hearty dinner at Old Iceland Restaurant, a popular restaurant near my hotel. Prices of meals are not cheap in Iceland, but at least quality is assured at the more popular restaurants. Our starters (soup and salmon)and mains of Icelandic lamb and fish were all very well prepared and tasty.

Another huge breakfast before setting out to explore the city of Reykjavik.

The most happening street of Reykjavik, with restaurants, bars, tourist shops and more.

Last edited by ycp81; 30 August 2019, 11:44 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Exploring the streets of Reykjavik

Delicious cinnamon pastries from Braud&Co.

Hallgrimskirkja Church

Tried the Icelandic hotdog. Tasted pretty normal to me.

It was the start of Pride Week in Reykjavik.

My Travel Map

Comment

Colourful streets

Cheeky signage outside an eatery.

Breathe more Icelandic air! They are selling it for S$5 per breath!

Warming lobster soup and grilled cod at Saegreifinn Restaurant along the harbour.

Hofdi House, a historical landmark.

My Travel Map

Comment

Old vs spanking new

Along the shore walk.

Sun Voyager sculpture

Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Centre

Another fresh and tasty Icelandic cuisine at Reykjavik Kitchen. Always order the Icelandic Lamb!

Wrapping up the day with yummy ice cream from Valdis.

My Travel Map

Comment

On the day of departure, we headed back to Keflavik via the FlyBus again, arriving at the airport slightly less than 2hrs before our 1105am departure. We were flying Saga Class today, which is the Business Class equivalent at Icelandair. There is a dedicated Saga Premium check-in desk.

Baggage were priority tagged and boarding pass issued.

Security was a breeze was there was Fast Track line for Saga Class passengers. Apparently not all airlines offer it.

Departure hall after security was bright and airy with shops and eateries.

FIDS

Tarmac views. It was predominantly narrowbodies at KEF. Wonder when will the ME3 airlines send their widebodies here.

My Travel Map

Comment

It was a bit of trek to Icelandair's lounge for premium pax, Saga Lounge. It was located nearer to the C gates at the satellite building than at the main building A gates which my flight would be departing from. Up the escalator to the lounge.

A grand entrance into the lounge.

Near the lounge entrance was the buffet area. It was still mainly breakfast food on offer.

Wide range of beverages available.

Lounge was pretty empty at this time of the day, with various seating options available. Design was understandably very Scandic.

A huge boulder in the middle of the lounge.

Loved the ambience of the lounge.

My Travel Map

Comment

There were also coffee and tap water stations throughout the lounge. In Iceland, everyone drinks from the tap as the tap water is pure water from the glaciers!!

Tarmac view from lounge.

Grabbed some light bites and a coffee to perk me up.

After a short stay checking out the lounge, headed back to the gate where boarding had just commenced. It was a bus gate and we were funneled into a claustrophobic corridor waiting to board the bus to the aircraft.

10 August 2019
                              Icelandair
                              FI 308
                              Reykjavik Keflavik (KEF) - Stockholm Arlanda (ARN)
                              B757-200
                              TF-FIR (70 years of Aviation livery)
                              Saga Class
                              Flight Time: 2H47M

A short ride on the tarmac and we reached our B757 aircraft, which would be a beautiful special liveried 70 Years of Aviation aircraft!

My Travel Map

Comment

Boarded via Door 2. Our beautiful aircraft is named after Europe's biggest glacier, Vatnajokull.

Turned right into the Saga Class cabin. Saga Class in fitted in a 2-2 configuration with 22 seats. The seats were basic but comfortable recliners. Seats were well-padded and fitted with IFE monitors and power supply. On each seat was placed a pillow and blanket. Kinda like SilkAir's Business Class seats on its A320s. I would recommend not to go for the bulkhead as legroom seemed restricted.

Cheeky phrases on the headrest and pillows.

Legroom was decent and there was a footrest (no legrest fitted). Wifi internet was available and was complimentary with unlimited access for Saga Class passengers. In the seat pocket was the usual inflight literature. As there was no one ahead in Row 1, there was no fear of anyone reclining into my face, though recline is only average and not too generous. Saga Class would only be less than half-full on this flight, but Economy seemed packed.

Looking ahead towards the cockpit. The Purser and a junior crew would be serving us today in Saga Class, and the service by the Purser was wonderful!

Boarding a wheelchair passenger.

A bottle of Icelandic glacier water was handed out to each passenger.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X