CX 744 Y SIN-HKG: An evolutionary dead end in Y seat design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CX 744 Y SIN-HKG: An evolutionary dead end in Y seat design

I am currently reading ycp81's wonderful TR on CX and Dragonair. In that TR, ycp81 did not get to try CX's 744 on his SIN-HKG sector...here is a TR which covers a recent flight SIN-HKG on CX's 744.

These days, opportunities to fly a 744 are not easy to come by, so I jumped at the opportunity to fly CX to HKG, enroute to Beijing via HKG. This TR covers just the SIN-HKG sector, as I have covered CX and Dragonair to Beijing before here.

I guess the title of the TR gives it away, but this was a 744 with CX's previous generation of cabin products: a new J seat, as well as a very bold attempt to upgrade the Y experience, with a seat with a fixed back that doesn't invade the personal space of the person behind you when reclined. How well did this work in practice? Read on!
    Last edited by yflyer; 23 November 2013, 02:51 AM.

I arrived at Changi Airport bright and early for my flight from SIN to HKG.

Check-in at T1 was smooth and quick, as usual. I even had time to check out a small outdoor garden at T1 on the way to my boarding gate. This looked like a nice place to spend a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle. The fact that it was a no-smoking zone was a plus as well.

After a few minutes here, I headed to the gate, shortly before boarding commenced.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

On the way to Y, I passed by the J cabin. This was CX's previous generation of J seating, which I have never tried, but which apparently did not receive rave reviews from frequent flyers.

"Too narrow! Claustrophobic!" were some of the comments. Being yflyer, I am sure I would have been perfectly happy in that seat...

I continued down the aisle into Y....

Comment

I found myself in the Y cabin with the infamous CX fixed shell Y seat. A great idea in theory, but one which has probably caused more sore necks than any other long haul Y product...

I settled into my seat in the front of the second Y cabin. As I boarded early (one of the perks of being Oneworld Emerald), I had a couple of minutes to fiddle with the empty seats around me before the other pax filled the aircraft.

Comment

The seat is fairly comfortable in the upright position. Not a particularly soft seat, but then neither is SQ's current Y product.

The picture below shows the upright position.

The problems become apparent when you "recline" the seat. This next picture shows the "fully reclined" position.

The seat back and bottom slide forward. The seat back remains immobile.

This provides some semblance of recline. Unfortunately the headrest doesn't move and at least for a short person like myself, it meant my neck was held at a slightly awkward and upright angle, while the rest of the seat reclined.

This would be fine for a short-mid haul flight, of say 4 hours or less, but I shudder to think about sitting in that seat for HKG-SFO or SIN-LHR.

Didn't anyone actually test the seat before the product was launched?

These issues would have become apparent if any kind of serious testing or pilot project were done? After trying this seat, I can see why there was so much negative feedback generated, and can only applaud CX for the brave decision to axe it and roll out a conventional seat so soon after it was launched. CX acted quickly to fix the problem. Their latest CX Y seat with conventional recline, is great, and on par with (or even better in some respects) than SQ Y. But I suppose SQ should also take credit for sticking with a "cradle" Y seat with conventional recline, and not trying to launch a similar fixed back design.

There wasn't too much room in the bulkhead seats either.

On the plus-side, legroom was unimpeded by any IFE box.

And IFE was the superb StudioCX product, with great audio/video quality and a wide selection of entertainment options.

A nice touch was the power supply on the seat back behind the tray table. Very easy to reach!

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Breakfast was served...there was an Asian option and a Western option. However, by the time they got to me, all they had was the Western. "Try it! You will be amazed!" said the bubbly, cheerful flight attended in Cantonese-accented English.

She was right! It was delicious. A wonderful sausage, egg omelette and potato combination that was as pleasing to the eye as it was to the tastebuds. One of the most delicious Y breakfasts I have had.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The rest of the flight was uneventful, and we landed on time in HK.

Conclusions? Food and service were great on this flight. IFE was wonderful too.

In terms of hard product in Y, though, this was a dud.

For a short flight, the seat was fine, but I doubt the hard product in Y would satisfy travellers on long haul flights.

Along with skinny, shared, armrests, the recline of the Y seat into the person behind (and having to wake up and upright the seat during meal time) is a real inconvenience when travelling Y, and any attempt to create a better Y experience should be applauded. It was good of CX to at least try to address the issue (even if the result was a flop).

I am glad I got to try this once, but once is enough. In fact, I would prefer to be sitting in "classic" Y seats rather than this one. I would say that the newest Y seats on CX (and SQ) represent the state of the art in Y.

So I believe this to be an evolutionary dead end in Y seat design. Hopefully some bright spark will engineer the perfect Y seat in future!

Thanks for reading!
              Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the TR. I'm itching to fly on a 744 again. Haven't been on one since the SQ747/748 event!

Comment

Tried this on HKG-SIN, felt quite okay the first hour, but by the third hour and after meal service, I could feel the onset of soreness coming on. It lasted til the next evening. Good try, but a dud, as you say. Great placement of power plugs!

Comment

Great TR! My butt is itching for a 744 and a few days ago I received a great news that I've been TG-ed! (my original TG A330 has been swapped to a B744.)

oh yeah!

Comment

I never managed to try those seats but the concept was spot on. I hope somebody is working on a new one without the same issues you and, it sounds like, many others mention.

Comment

FWIW, these seats will be gone from long hauls when CX stops JNB and SFO 744 ops year.

For short hauls, it is a good product for lounging, at least I did not feel as comfy when I was unofficially bumped up into the PE cabin on my Nov 21 HKG - SIN flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                          FWIW, these seats will be gone from long hauls when CX stops JNB and SFO 744 ops year.

For short hauls, it is a good product for lounging, at least I did not feel as comfy when I was unofficially bumped up into the PE cabin on my Nov 21 HKG - SIN flight.

Can you please clarify? Does lounge mean seat upright or reclined?

Are you saying its comfy for a few hours reclined/lounging before neck starts to ache?

Anyway I believe the guy who introduced fixed shell economy seats and first generation Herring Bone "coffins" left CX soon after their introduction

And are you saying CX Y more comfy than CX premium economy?
                          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 25 November 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            Thanks for the TR. I'm itching to fly on a 744 again. Haven't been on one since the SQ747/748 event!
                            You are welcome, SilverChris! Yes, a ride on a 744 once in a while does break the monotony. If only someone was still flying DC-10's / MD-11's...

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Tried this on HKG-SIN, felt quite okay the first hour, but by the third hour and after meal service, I could feel the onset of soreness coming on. It lasted til the next evening. Good try, but a dud, as you say. Great placement of power plugs!
                            Thanks, Kyo! Yup I think 3 hours is my limit on this equipment too...

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                            Great TR! My butt is itching for a 744 and a few days ago I received a great news that I've been TG-ed! (my original TG A330 has been swapped to a B744.)

oh yeah!
                            Thanks, RCTP! That's great news!

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                            I never managed to try those seats but the concept was spot on. I hope somebody is working on a new one without the same issues you and, it sounds like, many others mention.
                            Yup, scooby, great concept, but it doesn't appear that anyone has found the magic formula yet...

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post

Thanks for the info, SINFJ! I can't believe they use this from SFO-HKG. That is enough reason for me to avoid CX Y on that sector! Interestingly, I flew SFO-HKG recently on their 77W in Y, and that was with their newest Y product. Very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                              Thanks for the info, SINFJ! I can't believe they use this from SFO-HKG. That is enough reason for me to avoid CX Y on that sector! Interestingly, I flew SFO-HKG recently on their 77W in Y, and that was with their newest Y product. Very comfortable.
                              CX does 2 runs into SFO. One on the 744, the other on the 77W. For nostalgia, I tend to take the 744. Doesn't bother me as I don't sleep a lot on planes, even on long hauls. Too bad that will go next autumn.

Comment

Working...
                              X