No announcement yet.

London and Toronto on BA's 77W and 787 Dreamliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFE on this flight was a very modern AVOD system with a very good programme selection (more about the IFE in the 787 segment of this TR).

The Airshow system on this flight was superb. Although there were no external camera views, the map views could be tilted and rotated. The landscape/maps were great, and were detailed right down to nearly ground level.

The last Airshow shot shows the level of detail in the landscape imagery used. The aircraft had already landed and was taxiing to the terminal, hence the image of the plane overlaid on the terminal layout. The Airshow display does not accurately show the height of the airplane above ground when it has already landed, but apart from that, you had a very detailed view (apparently from satellite photos) of the underlying terrain when overflying it.
    Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Overall, the BA soft and hard product were both very good. Service was efficient and friendly, and the IFE selection was great as well.

Apart from the fairly basic main courses served during meals, I had no quibbles about either the service or the hard product. In fact, I thought the 77W hard product in Club World was very good. No wonder the BA forward/backward layout has withstood the test of time with only incremental refinements. And Y looked pretty good as well.

Note that BA currently has two SIN-LHR flights, one on an older 744 and one on the new 77W. Unless I was feeling nostalgic and felt like flying on a 744, I would definitely want to fly on BA's 77W, with a far newer, and better, cabin.

Next up, the 787 Dreamliner to Toronto!
      Last edited by yflyer; 27 September 2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoying this TR

I've tried BA's J twice across the pond and was unimpressed.

Seats were too narrow.

Inadequate storage around the seat. Distinctly remember my magazines strewn across the floor

Not really a fully flat bed. More a fully flat armchair with stool

But they've persisted with the design so their clientele must like them

LOVE the map. The latest SQ all-info-in-one map is horrible

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          Thoroughly enjoying this TR

I've tried BA's J twice across the pond and was unimpressed.

Seats were too narrow.

Inadequate storage around the seat. Distinctly remember my magazines strewn across the floor

Not really a fully flat bed. More a fully flat armchair with stool

But they've persisted with the design so their clientele must like them

LOVE the map. The latest SQ all-info-in-one map is horrible
          Thanks! Always nice to receive feedback on an in-progress TR.

I think most folks who are used to SQ's A380 or 77W J will need a little time to adjust to the narrower BA format.

The BA approach is not the last word in J class luxury, but I think it is a pragmatic approach which works fairly well in practice, given that all J class designs will be a compromise in one way or another. As a first time flyer in Club World, I quite liked it. Their regular customers seem to like it too (Or at least not hate it!).

Yes, the Airshow moving map is wonderful. They even model the aircraft graphic on the actual plane you are flying (not a generic shape).

Comment

After a couple of days in London, I found myself back at Heathrow T5, where the bookstores were still selling souvenir books on William and Kate's baby boy.

Check in and security were hassle-free.

I arrived at the departure gate at one of T5's satellite terminals to see BA's 3rd 787, registration BJC, parked at the gate.

When I checked in at one of the self-service booths earlier, my boarding pass still showed Premium Y.

Boarding was called and I presented my boarding pass at the gate to be scanned. There was a loud, jarring "BEEP!" from the boarding pass scanner, which is probably one of the most beautiful sounds in commercial aviation.

The gentleman at the gate took my BP, printed a new one and said matter-of-factly: "You are flying business class today".

I walked, no almost floated, down the aerobridge, and entered another world...
            Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

There is no First on the 787. My seat was close to the front of the plane...

My first impression...what a beautiful cabin. It was laid out 2-3-2, with an updated Club World J product with an even more elegant colour scheme and choice of fabrics.

With my memories of the 77W J cabin fresh in my mind, I found the 787 J cabin more open and inviting than the 77W. Needless to say, everything was spanking new.

Comment

Here is a picture of one of the aisle seats...

And a pair of seats by the window. All aisle seats face forward. All window seats face backwards.

My rearward facing seat was in the middle, right under the BA motif in front.

Unlike the 2-4-2 J layout on the 77W, the 787 has a 2-3-2 layout in J. I had a little extra space to the left side of my seat compared to the aisle or window seats.

Comment

I was one of the first to board, and boarding was taking place slowly, so I took the opportunity to stroll to the rear of the plane to check out the other cabins.

This was premium Y, in 2-3-2.

This is the premium Y seat back.

Electronically dimmed window blinds. This one is about half dimmed.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

BA is yet another airline to decide to go for 3-3-3 in the Y cabin (Unlike the enlightened folks at JAL who went for 2-4-2.).

There was quite generous legroom at the bulkheads and the emex rows.

I sat in one of the Y seats just to get a sense of how spacious it was. It didn't feel cramped the way an Emirates 10-abreast 777 was, but then again it didn't feel as spacious as JAL's 2-4-2 Y. It felt...normal...and ordinary. I guess the bean counters prevailed here.

One thing BA did not do so well was the IFE boxes in Y. Unlike the slimline boxes on SQ's new planes, the ugly grey metal boxes on this brand new 787 took up a little more space under the seats than one would expect for a new design. I found this quite surprising, and a little jarring, given how tasteful and stylish everything else in the Y cabin looked.

Comment

Back in the J cabin, I started this journey with a glass of pre-take off bubbly...

We took off on time, and I was struck by how quiet the 787 was sitting up front. The last time I flew the Dreamliner, it was on JAL in Economy, where it sounded about the same as any other jet, but sitting up front, take-off was extremely quiet.

Comment

Thanks for the TR. You'll obviously be needing to change your handle after this.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Thanks for the TR. You'll obviously be needing to change your handle after this.
                          Maybe Beep!flyer ... but no...the vast majority of my flights are at the opposite end of the plane. The beep is all too rare...

Comment

Apart from the dark grey / light grey two-tone colour scheme, I was struck by how well built the seat and partitions were. Solid engineering with very good finishing, reminiscent of a high-end German automobile interior.

The seat control panel was similar to the 77W, with the addition of a second privacy screen control button to raise/lower the screen (the original button still remains on top of the partition, where the cabin crew can reach it).

The reading light is the same adjustable, dimmable light, mounted high on the partition.

The foot rest can be used as part of the lie-flat bed...

Or adjusted into a slanted position, for use as an angled footrest (where you also semi-recline the seat).

You get the same noise-cancelling headphones...

And an amenity kit...

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

The IFE screen is a hi-definition affair that folds out of the side of the partition. It is not as massive as the SQ screen, but adequate.

The IFE menus and user interface are a little on the functional side (QF's UI is much better looking, from an aesthetic point of view) but the programme selection is very wide.

The IFE controller is mounted on the side, and is removable, with a retractable cable.

There was a good selection of movies, television and music...

The flight information / map was great as well.
                              Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Before the meal was served, I got up to walk around, and snapped a picture out of an exit door window.

The 787 wing, with BA's dark blue RR engine, looks fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X