No announcement yet.

I spent Christmas with Santa: SIN-NGO-CTS-ITM/KIX-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to resurrect an old (but very enjoyable) TR - seeing as the timings of your travel are similar, I'm wondering what you would recommend we do in FUK and Osaka given temperatures are forecasted to be overcast and between 3-14 degs in FUK and 2-12 degrees in Osaka 7 days out? (we'll be there 10 days later in Osaka for 1.5 days)

I've done Fukuoka briefly for a night/morning - not doing half the stuff you've mentioned, but I have been to Canal City and this time we're staying across the road from Hakata JR train station (just easier to get onto the JR). I've done Osaka also for a night/morning and we're staying at the IC Osaka (I've been to the Umeda Sky building, but don't mind going again - my only concern is if it'll be 3 degrees and freezing, what else should I do?)

Also we'll have one full day+night on the day of our departure in Osaka, and beyond a visit to Asahi's Suita brewery, not quite sure what else to do apart from Osaka Castle. Guessing we will try to stick to the city area. Fish market for brekkie looks doable.

We've done Kobe and Kyoto before and are coming from Nara the night before, so we want to try things strictly 'within Osaka'. Don't mind trying local restaurants for lunch (that crab place looks good, and we can't be bothered with Fugu as we find it overrated) but we've started to make arrangements for dinner already with the IC's concierge at some Michelin * spots, however we're not sure if we can get reservations...

Comment

I'm flying off tonight so no time to go through my notes

However in Osaka I recommend these two places conveniently located in the same building

If you stand on the bridge looking at Glico Man, walk towards Swissotel, second junction down the street, turn right and this building is on the left

Nikusyo is a great steak place I highly recommend upstairs

Not the whole menu we had but the highlights. Starters..

Beef selection we had

Charcoal grilled: The best way to eat beef IMO

Our chef

Salad for health reasons

The usual accompaniments to Japanese beef

Not usual is 6 types of salt from all over the world. Saltier as you go clockwise

The rice that follows the beef

Unexpectedly noodles follow the rice

Left out pics of a few courses but it was too much food for us.

All for JPY6,000

Comment

This is truly the TR that keeps on giving. Lunchspot noted (and also noted you're about to fly)... my post was actually half-food and half non-food in query. You've definitely got the food bit covered but I fear my OH will kill me if I keep suggesting things to eat.

(whether for health reasons or not)

Comment

Downstairs of same building, we had okonomiyaki

They cook it in front of you

It was very good. Recommended by our guide

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 January 2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Sorry to resurrect an old (but very enjoyable) TR - seeing as the timings of your travel are similar, I'm wondering what you would recommend we do in FUK and Osaka given temperatures are forecasted to be overcast and between 3-14 degs in FUK and 2-12 degrees in Osaka 7 days out? (we'll be there 10 days later in Osaka for 1.5 days)
            I try to choose a hotel near a mall in case of wet weather.

Apart from Hakata Station, Tenjin has an underground mall in front of the station that connects all the major department stores there

I've done Fukuoka briefly for a night/morning - not doing half the stuff you've mentioned, but I have been to Canal City and this time we're staying across the road from Hakata JR train station (just easier to get onto the JR).
            Which reminds me I should finish my Fukuoka Revisited TR

Hakata Station is a good place to spend time if weather is bad (as it was when we were there).

Tokyo Hands is nice to shop for the shoppers in my family but food wise, buy the strawberry mochi at ground floor level (or was it B1?).

Upstairs, the restaurants to try are the beef place & beef tongue place. Look for the queues!!!

I've done Osaka also for a night/morning and we're staying at the IC Osaka (I've been to the Umeda Sky building, but don't mind going again - my only concern is if it'll be 3 degrees and freezing, what else should I do?)
            Aquarium? Namba Park? We love the Dome style coffee place on the left as you walk towards the mall. Just across from the fashion shop targeting the young byTakashimaya

We've done Kobe and Kyoto before and are coming from Nara the night before, so we want to try things strictly 'within Osaka'. Don't mind trying local restaurants for lunch (that crab place looks good, and we can't be bothered with Fugu as we find it overrated) but we've started to make arrangements for dinner already with the IC's concierge at some Michelin * spots, however we're not sure if we can get reservations...
            Evidence of cost cutting in crab place last time we were there

Momen impossible to book since it got its Michelin * but in Japan is one place I've learnt that you don't need to go for the Michelins for great food

I should add that these latest pics are from trip in November 2012.

Due to go this April again. New restaurants lined up but the big news is that Swissotel is not as good value after it's renovation

So we're trying a cheaper hotel……. St Regis!!! Really Swissotel?
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 January 2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I have compared your beloved Swissotel, Hotel Nikko, St Regis and IC Osaka.

Basically, the IC won because it's located next to the Umeda Sky Floating Garden. Since we have to return there in the end, we figured we could kill two birds with one stone late in the evening. We will still have all day the following day until night to do the rest. Have done the America Town and although we looked into the aquarium the last time, now that Singapore has the largest one (and we've been to that one recently), we're probably not going to do that. Namba Park's a definite possibility as well as the walking street and Midosuji. Yodabashi will be at our doorstep at the IC also, another major selfish reason for me to pick the IC

Also, IC is fantastic value on points, as everyone on TOF says. Apparently they treat RAs like, um, royalty.

Comment

Kyo, for a bit of culture in Fukuoka, you could visit the Kyushu National Museum:

The Kyushu National Museum (九州国立博物館 Kyūshū Kokuritsu Hakubutsukan?) opened on October 16, 2005 in Dazaifu near Fukuoka -- the first new national museum in Japan in over 100 years, and the first to elevate the focus on history over art.[1] The distinct modern impression created by the architectural facade is mirrored in the Museum's use of technological innovations which are put to good in making the museum's collections accessible to the public. For example, the museum's extremely high resolution video system, with the latest image processing and color management software, serves both in documenting the objects in the museum's collection and also in expanding access beyond the limits of a large, but finite exhibition space.[2]

The striking wood and glass building in the hills, it hosts important collections of Japanese artifacts, particularly ceramics, related to the history of Kyūshū.
                and whilst there, visit also the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine (popular with students).

Comment

I read your post too late, buddy - but ironically I was taken exactly to that very shrine by a local today..! So all's well that ends well. Not a big museum buff unless it's something extremely quirky so I didn't see that museum. Ate at Kawatarou (live ika sashimi - again!!), and ended with a motsunabe, trust you approve?

Comment

ended with a motsunabe, trust you approve?
                    You know that I would enjoy motsunabe as much as I enjoyed lampredotto in Firenze!

Talking of which, I did once end up in a Korean yakiniku joint in Tokyo with friends - they ordered a big portion of raw offal to eat and I couldn't say no when they heaped a spoonful on my plate.

Comment

Having raw intestines might cause me to gag. Repeatedly. Better you than me!

Comment

Having raw intestines might cause me to gag. Repeatedly. Better you than me!
                        I remember raw stomach lining which was then rolled up into a sausage shape!

Comment

I think that was in some tomato-based sauce?!

Comment

wow those okonomiyaki looks yummy. Will have to note that down for my next trip there.

Comment

Working...
                            X