Additional required miles for mixed class booking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional required miles for mixed class booking

Hoping the room can help with a clarification.

I want to fly SYD-SIN-DPS. I've booked a confirmed First Saver SYD-SIN online (I could only book SYD-SIN segment online as the SIN-DPS segment does not offer First, meaning a mixed class booking is required).

My understanding was that I ring SQ and they book me on the connecting SIN-DPS segment in a lower cabin (business) with no additional milage required. i.e. It's still considered a single itinerary to from Australia to Asia.

Alas no. The SQ call centre told me the SIN-DPS segment requires ADDITIONAL miles, even if added to the existing First booking.

This means a mixed class SYD-SIN-DPS itinerary will require MORE miles than, say, an all-First SYD-SIN-HKG itinerary. A bit crazy.

Did I just get an SQ agent who didn't know what she was talking about, or is this how it works?

Thanks

I had this issue recently with the call center. I had to get a approval for them to charge the zone X to zone X F saver rate for the entire journey, they wanted to redeem each leg separately (J saver + F saver). They insisted it was a recent change in policy but on the bottom of the current award chart it still says -

General Notes:
    • Singapore Airlines Suites and First Class are only available on selected Singapore
    Airlines flights. SilkAir does not have a Suites/First Class cabin. Business Class
    seats will be allocated to members who redeem their miles for Singapore
    Airlines Suites and/or First Class on Singapore Airlines flights which do not have
    a Singapore Airlines Suites/First Class cabin. The number of miles required for
    the entire trip may be determined at the redemption level of the highest class
    of service flown. Please check the classes available on the flight before making
    a redemption.

You might have to be insistent with them saying it is still currently noted on the award chart you should be charged for a F saver for the entire journey, If it is indeed a change in policy it seem ridiculous they you have to use more miles for a mixed class redemption over a First award. So going off the award chart you are going from zone 9 to zone 2 which is 75,000 miles each way less the 15% discount.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...wardCharts.pdf

Comment

The agent misunderstood you.

Since your SYD-SIN is already ticketed, she thinks that you intend to add a new segment to the booking, ie. SIN-DPS and hence, quoted you the additional miles accordingly. Anyway, I think once the ticket is issued, its not possible to "add" a segment to an existing booking without having the system view it as a separate segment booking.

I suggest you tell her : "You encountered a website problem. You wanted to do SYD-DPS but somehow got SYD-SIN instead because you weren't sure how mixed class booking works. Your intention is to travel SYD-DPS, not SYD-SIN. So ask her to make a fresh SYD-DPS mixed class booking for you and cancel the old SYD-SIN booking.
      If there's no problems with F-saver or J-saver availability, then it should be straightforward.
      If she tells you that F-saver is no longer available on SYD-SIN segment (because your booking already used it up), then tell her that since you already secured SYD-SIN F-saver slot, ask her to do a back to back transaction in which the old SYD-SIN is cancelled but released to your new SYD-DPS booking. It should be possible.
      Finally, because its a "website error", ask her to waive any cancellation charge."

Comment

Thanks Sethor and Dickson
        Just spoke with SQ and the agent initially said the same - extra miles required.
        When I pointed out the conditions on the awards chart she kindly booked me through to DPS without extra milage (conditional on approval from a manager). Fingers crossed!

Comment

There are some serious training issues with Krisflyer staff...

I tried to redeem DXB-BKK in First Class and the agent agreed was of the view that:

DXB-SIN-BKK would be 70,000 miles in First Class (if both sectors were offered in First) but she would have to charge 70,000 miles to SIN (F) and then 20,000 miles to BKK (J), so a total of 95,000 miles.

She recommended to book DXB-SIN-BKK for 45,000 miles in Business Class (minus online discount)...

I insisted on a mixed booking for 70,000 miles and was told I received 'special' approval for the one-time exception...

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if we could book mixed-class redemptions online. I remember we could do that with SQ's previous website...

Comment

Working...
            X