Confirmed : SIN-MAN-IAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Are they maintaining the 8 F seats, or will this 77W get converted?
    It's the 'old' version with 8 seats. Shame about the poor product as the new single row version is actually, and finally, pretty decent. But it should mean saver award space, on both legs, which cushions the blow.

Comment

I realise expecting SQ's IT system to be anything like up to date with press releases was silly, but ...when trying to book a MAN-IAH ticket

Paid

We do not have any online fares for the itinerary you have selected. Please contact your local Singapore Airlines reservations office to perform this booking.
      Award

The Origin and Destination you have selected constitutes a backtrack routing. Backtracking is not permitted except as required by routing restrictions. Backtracking occurs when a journey does not continue in the same direction as that in which it was begun.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        It's the 'old' version with 8 seats. Shame about the poor product as the new single row version is actually, and finally, pretty decent. But it should mean saver award space, on both legs, which cushions the blow.
        It is very sad that even in 2017 it has boiled down to IAH not receiving PEY and MAN going back to the 2006 77W. Why can't they simply refit 77W to 77WN configuration to maintain the 8 F seats? I don't understand this. As far as DME goes, well same thing just a terminator service.

Why I say sad has to do with the fact SQ doesn't seem willing to refit the rest of the 77W fleet as promised. Yanking the 77WN from other trunk routes like LHR, HND, or MEL won't do either surprisingly.

Comment

Singapore Airlines launches UK-US route

Singapore Airlines launches UK-US route

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/s...-us-route-5918

Comment

Ooh look, just seen this on the internet:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...hanges-in-w16/
            Oh wow, that would be great to have a non-stop flight between SIN and MAN (and maybe a slightly better transit point at MAN vs DME for those heading to IAH?)

The bad news is that...... there will be 1 less refreshment for those going travelling between SIN and MAN.

I think I should write up a trip report of my recent trip on SQ328/SQ327 to MAN before the SIN-MUC-MAN routing ends.

Comment

Ooh look, just seen this on the internet:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...hanges-in-w16/
              So is it also confirmed that MUC gets the A350 and a standalone flight? If it does, great news. The A350 is a fantastic plane to fly on and is clearly giving SQ more flexibility with their routes and enabling them to expand their network.

Comment

Press release:

SIA TO FLY NON-STOP TO MANCHESTER
                • Seasonal Sapporo flights to be operated in December
                • Adelaide, Christchurch & Kolkata services to increase during peak periods

Singapore Airlines will fly non-stop between Singapore and Manchester from 30 October 2016. In addition, as part of the Northern Winter Schedule, services to Adelaide, Christchurch and Kolkata will increase during peak periods, while seasonal services to Sapporo will be operated in December 2016.

The non-stop Singapore-Manchester flights will be operated five times weekly and will continue on to Houston, which is currently served via Moscow. Flight SQ52 will depart Singapore at 0235hrs and arrive in Manchester at 0900hrs. Flight SQ52 will then depart Manchester at 1015hrs, and arrive in Houston at 1535hrs. The return flight SQ51 will depart Houston at 2015hrs and arrive in Manchester at 1005hrs. Flight SQ51 will then depart Manchester at 1135hrs, and arrive in Singapore at 0820hrs (all times local, and subject to change).

Services to Christchurch will meanwhile increase to 10 times weekly from seven times weekly between 13 November 2016 and 5 February 2017, while services to Adelaide will increase to 10 times weekly from seven times weekly between 1 December 2016 and 31 January 2017. Services to Kolkata will increase to four times weekly in December 2016, up from the current three weekly flights.

To cater to peak winter travel demand, Singapore Airlines will also operate seasonal services to Sapporo from 1 December 2016 to 5 January 2017. A total of 24 round-trip Sapporo flights will be operated during this period.

With the launch of the Singapore-Manchester-Houston service, existing Moscow-Houston and Munich-Manchester services will be suspended, from 30 October 2016. Both Munich and Moscow will continue to be served, however, on a nonstop basis to and from Singapore. Services to Munich will be operated daily, while services to Moscow will be operated four times weekly.

Singapore Airlines will also operate daily non-stop flights between Singapore and San Francisco from 23 October 2016 using Airbus A350-900 aircraft. Flight SQ32 will depart Singapore at 0830hrs and arrive in San Francisco at 0805hrs. The return flight SQ31 will depart San Francisco at 0935hrs and arrive in Singapore at 1820hrs. (all times local at the start of Northern Winter, and subject to change).

The above flight details are subject to regulatory approvals. Ticket sales for the above flights will be made available for sale through our various distribution channels on a progressive basis.

Comment

Bit gutted that MAN will loose the new seats.

Comment

There are swings and roundabouts in today's announcement. Yes, the frequency drops, yes it is older metal and yes there is still a MAN tag. There are question marks surrounding the timings for connections and departure times.

However, overall it is a major boost for MAN and should not be seen as anything short of that. The non stop to SIN should be a major demand stimulus and with further work with *A partners, the route could get very busy very quickly. SQ have always made a daily service part of their core offering and of the route works well I don't see that this will be any different.

For those, possibly not based in the UK, who don't "get" why SQ serve MAN, there are compelling reasons why Routesonline describe MAN as having a growing stature in the global marketplace. Some of these are not really for this thread (suffice to say MAN is certainly not a yield black hole) but the most obvious reason is the impending capacity crisis for London.

LHR and LGW are essentially full. The nature of UK planning law renders any boost to runway capacity a moot point for at least a decade, probably longer. If the aviation market grows at anything like its current rate, airlines will need to look outside London for UK growth. SQ and others will have seen this and are positioning themselves accordingly.

Comment

Wow, a lot of big US changes taking effect from October 30th. Surprisingly the only thing not affected is the New York/JFK route. Still staying A380, I guess demand is pretty solid on that leg?

In other news (from routesonline):

EDIT as of 0440GMT 22JUL16: The following article was pre-written around 2200GMT 21JUL16, when the airline displays A350 service to Moscow from 27MAR17. The airline has made additional adjustment Friday (22JUL16) morning local time, which switched back to 777-300ER. Additional changes for summer 2017 season is possible in the next few months.

Singapore Airlines during Thursday’s schedule update (21JUL16) has made additional adjustment to planned Singapore – Moscow Domodedovo operation. Reported on Airlineroute yesterday, the Star Alliance member will convert Moscow service as terminator service, as Moscow – Houston sector being cancelled from 30OCT16.

Moscow will be served 4 times a week instead of 5, from 30OCT16, initially with 777-300ER. However, this will switch to Airbus A350-900XWB, starting 27MAR17.

SQ362 SIN0030 – 0610DME 359 x357
                      SQ361 DME1510 – 0625+1SIN 359 x357

Additionally, in yesterday’s report, there was a confusion on planned operational schedule being listed for Singapore – Manchester – Houston service from 30OCT16, due to typographical error. This has been corrected in the original post, which should read:

SQ052 SIN0235 – 0900MAN1015 – 1435IAH 77W x14
                      SQ051 IAH1915 – 1005+1MAN1135+1 – 0820+2SIN 77W x14
                      Enough of us have known at some point or the other DME will be getting the 359. Well it's happening in March. Still shocked to know that MAN is going from a 77WR back to the 2006 77W. Usually changes to US routes have meant the same consistent products across the routes. Unless SQ is willing to refit the 77W to 77WN config, guess this will mean 2006 77W on two longhaul sectors (SIN-MAN, MAN-IAH).

Comment

Do you know specifically that it will be the older non-refitted 77W? I'm just thinking that there could be the possibility of the 77WN being deployed as they still meet the definition of "3-class". I'm guessing probably not though as the 77Ws are likely to be the exact same craft as currently serving IAH.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                          So is it also confirmed that MUC gets the A350 and a standalone flight? If it does, great news. The A350 is a fantastic plane to fly on and is clearly giving SQ more flexibility with their routes and enabling them to expand their network.
                          I'm certainly looking forward to this. Cheaper fares to MUC for the next while I'm hoping!

Comment

Moscow will be served 4 times a week instead of 5, from 30OCT16, initially with 777-300ER. However, this will switch to Airbus A350-900XWB, starting 27MAR17.

SQ362 SIN0030 – 0610DME 359 x357
                            SQ361 DME1510 – 0625+1SIN 359 x357
                            These four days are the exact compliment of DUS so it will allow a pair of A359s to cover both cities and then one will be free each day for regional daytime flights.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Do you know specifically that it will be the older non-refitted 77W? I'm just thinking that there could be the possibility of the 77WN being deployed as they still meet the definition of "3-class". I'm guessing probably not though as the 77Ws are likely to be the exact same craft as currently serving IAH.
                              If that day we hear a 2006 77W being put on that route then as they have done with 5th freedom US routes, never been an ad hoc substitution to a 77WN. If it is intended to be 77WN, it stays 77WN with of course possible swaps to older equipment. If they are going to use the 77WN, obviously this would mean yanking out a 77WN from MEL and possibly HND, leaving LHR and HKG/SFO unchanged.

Your latter part of the post is likely correct. They have 12 77W in 2006 configuration and 6 77WN. The likelihood is more likely for a 2006 77W over a 77WN. The other thing to note is that unlike the article with changes to SFO/LAX, this one does not state anything about 2013 cabin products meaning evidence suggests it would obviously be 2006 77Ws. Unless they are willing to refit more 77W to 77WN config, chances are slim to 0 that IAH will receive a 77WN.

Comment

Now that it's official, and the correct flight numbers, aircraft, frequency and timings are known, my personal thoughts and observations on this...

Good

- Finally nonstop again, for the first time in a few years. That inbound stop in MUC was a PITA for the breakfast service starting at approximately 3-3.30am UK time. Granted I never eat breakfast on SIN-MUC, but it's difficult to avoid being woken up, even in F. In other cabins you've got virtually no chance. It's good to finally get rid of the tag on as I read this week they've been an operational nightmare for SQ for years, so glad they've finally seen sense...

- New flight to the US from MAN. Not only that but it's IAH as well, where some of my trips over there are. Even better the flights times both ways are excellent, and would even allow an overnight return with enough time for a couple of meetings. If going elsewhere in the US, Caribbean or Central America (lets hope for codeshares with UA, my most recent flight into IAH a couple of weeks ago was with them from BZE) it's a great option inbound to MAN as it is a longer flight back to the UK, which helps with sleep. I regularly fly back on AA from PHL and usually have *&^&%* who have shelled out thousands for a flat bed then on a six hour flight want to eat full dinner service and breakfast.

- Later departure ex-MAN to Changi. 1135 is much better than the current 0850-0910 as you can avoid the morning rush hour mayhem, both at MAN and the roads getting there. It's a bonus of the current CX flight which leaves around midday. T2 has tumbleweed blowing through it at times in the winter so is much more pleasant. It will also allow feed on to the SIN flights. When it was nonstop on the 772ER they used to get good feed from DUB on EI and also some on BD from ABZ, EDI, GLA etc. The current SQ327 leaves too early for connecting traffic but this later departure opens that up and I would be stunned if a code share or some arrangement with Flybe isn't made in the coming months.

- Return of F Saver Awards. There'd better be anyway.... F savers are effectively banned on SQ327/8 since it went to the single row. Prior to that it was always pretty good even with the MUC leg as MUC doesn't have much of an F market either. Not sure what SIN-IAH F demand there is as never flown it but hopefully not too great.

- This doesn't affect me but I know many crew that will be delighted to get the Manchester stopovers back. And they'll get two per trip now!. They used to love staying over and talking to them on recent flights when we were supposed to be getting the nonstop A350 they were looking forward to returning. If it's the same hotel they will all be refusing the one particular room as they are adamant it's haunted!.

Not Good

- Flights not daily. Not as bad as the last nonstop which had gone down to three a week prior to flights to MUC starting, that was a real pain.

- We are losing the new products and PEY, which they has been pushing since it came and was doing pretty well apparently. The new single row of F is actually a pretty decent hard product now whereas the 'old' one never has been. This is somewhat compensated by the, again presumably, increase in saver awards.

- 0235 departure from Changi. I would prefer this were not the case but that is effective 18:35 UK time so it means dinner and one film rather than dinner, two films one Krug and a couple of Dom. It also allows a nice connection from the last flight from BKK. Not looked at any of the ANZ flights but if they have later ones arriving a couple of hours before then they will be attractive to the large number of F&F pax from down there. T be honest the previous nonstop flights had an STD of 2350 and as that clashed with a number of other flights heading north it was not unknown to sit around until well after midnight waiting for push back.

- Later arrival in Changi may affect certain connecting flights. Again I haven't looked at any so can't see what popular flights this may miss from the current flight.

- A personal one for me, and glad it's ending as the MUC stop is going, but one of the few good bits about flying on to MAN is watching the crew change in MUC. As I am very fortunate to normally be up front I get to see the official handovers from IFS to IFS and, more importantly, LSS to LSS. It is fabulous to watch as you get to see the impressively professional side of SQ crew and then, what doesn't often get seen in uniform, the personal side when they see friends on the other crew which leads to the guard coming down a little and the Singlish (and 'lah') comes out along with stuff like 'Long time no seee', 'How is the family',etc... I have got to know a few of the German speaking crew over the last few years and I will miss all that to be honest.

But at least I should be able to sleep better now.
                                Last edited by MAN Flyer; 22 July 2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X