No announcement yet.

BKK airport link - anyone tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to BKK today. I queued for the regular metered taxi. The lady at the podium handed me a "ticket" saying I should pay THB50 additional as "airport fee" and all tolls which cost me THB25 + THB45.

Metered rate came up to about THB260 to the Ratchaprasong area. It should only have been THB205 if not for the horrible traffic jam caused by the birthday princess' convoy.

In the past, it seems like we only pay toll once when going from the airport to Ratchaprasong. But perhaps my driver decided to do a detour after I said "rai-rai" and he saw the humungous traffic jam caused by Her Majesty's entourage.

And thanks to all those who replied!
    Last edited by fuu99; 9 April 2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Eventually, I feel that cost isn't really the matter but more like the ease of use. Lugging luggages with no elevators is no joke.

I have a feeling BKK is longing to do what is seen to have been successful in HKG and KUL, eventually coming up with a seemingly integrated system

Comment

Very unlikely you would be able to pick a pink taxi when queueing at BKK taxi rank, you will only discover what taxi you get once your driver walks you to it.

I have had a meter that added 10km to the trip once, i knew because I had done the trip literally over 100 times before and knew what the fare and distance would be. I refused to pay the extra and the driver feigned confusion about the whole thing but he soon left!

I tip when the driver has driven at normal speeds, been polite and not attempted to rip me off in ANY way whatsoever. Failure on any of those things and i pay the exact fare only. I tip 50 baht max on an airport trip and they are very happy with it. Let's face it, they do not make much money driving a BKK taxi around.
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
          Eventually, I feel that cost isn't really the matter but more like the ease of use. Lugging luggages with no elevators is no joke.

I have a feeling BKK is longing to do what is seen to have been successful in HKG and KUL, eventually coming up with a seemingly integrated system
          I do hope so. The transitions from airport to express train to free shuttle bus are hassle-free, and you do it at your own time.

In the past, whenever we travel to BKK, we or our host have to wait at the airport due to the infamous immigration lines. In HKG, however we always opt to meet up with our host at the hotel as getting there from the airport is so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by fuu99 View Post
            I do hope so. The transitions from airport to express train to free shuttle bus are hassle-free, and you do it at your own time.

In the past, whenever we travel to BKK, we or our host have to wait at the airport due to the infamous immigration lines. In HKG, however we always opt to meet up with our host at the hotel as getting there from the airport is so easy.
            Now that HKG is located in Chek Lap Kok, traffic snarls are hardly an issue, espeicially when the airport express gets one into town in some 20 plus minutes. The only jam that I usually faced will be on the last lap to the hotel but I don't blame it cos it's my problem, choosing to stay at Hung Hom.

I used to fear what kind of jam i will get into when BKK used to be in Don Muang, now less so at Suvarnabhumi. But one thing that fascinates me in BKK though remains the colourful taxis. Singapore ones, fail.

Comment

Bangkok Post : No love for the Airport Rail Link

No surprise whatsoever to read this.....

It is hard to find a single positive comment about the rail link project between central Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi airport.

The criticisms just seem to get harsher and harsher with “debacle” and “fiasco” now popular choices.

Officials have been bombarded with complaints.

There have been complaints that the terminals at the stations are badly signposted; there are no escalators; and there are no trolleys for passengers with heavy bags to use. Other complaints include the lack of a car park and no facilities linking the stations to public transport.

Service too is said to be shoddy for a trip costing up to 150 baht.

Passengers also complain the train "looks old" and the seats are uncomfortable. Many passengers are also upset by the way the doors to the train shut with heavy force.

The 28-kilometre Airport Rail Link between central Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi airport has been plagued with these problems after less than one year of trials and service.

A lack of spare parts has been a recurrent problem, worsened by unusual wear to some key components.

Carbon brushes, for example – an essential component in the brakes of the electric-powered train – were supposed to last six months, but failed after only three days of use. Pakorn Tangjedsakao, acting managing director of SRT Electric Train Co, which manages the rail link project, said express train services were halted after the company ran out of the carbon brushes, which are worth about 100,000 baht each.

Amazingly, at the beginning of the project no contract was made to arrange for the stocks of spare parts, Mr Pakorn said.

Not surprisingly, the rail link service has not been popular with passengers. Permanent secretary for transport Supoj Saplom says there are only about 700 rail link passengers a day, well below the target of 2,200, although the City Line for commuters still can attract between 36,000 to 40,000 a day.

As a result, Mr Supoj says the service is losing about 42 million baht a month.

Officials are promising major new investments but unless dramatic improvements are made soon, it may be difficult to win back unhappy customers.
              http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...port-rail-link

Comment

I LOL-ed. Too bloody obvious some of the statements they're making... someone should get the sack, but as usual, all the finger pointing will mean nothing happens for another 6 months...

Comment

I tried this Bangkok link this past Sunday, from city into the airport..... took a cab to Phaya Thai Station from apartment in Rama 3..... realsied made a mistake as the taxi driver actually drove past Makkasan (CAT) station on way to where I had instructed him to go.... and got caught in traffice, okay, next time I know, from aprtment, take taxi to the latter station and it will be easy..... cost of taxi B150 plus tips....

This first thing I saw when exiting taxi to go up to the ticketing platform was this!!!

Why did anyone in the world design a train station for a line to the airport or from the airport come up with these steps!!!!! Didi they not know that most passengers coming from or going to the airport will have luaggages, some exceeding 20 kgs..... haiz....

After that few steps, it was no hassle and as usual when I am up at ticketing, the security spoke to me in Thai, directed me to the automatic ticket dispensing machines instead of allowing me to queue to buy ticket from counter,... I thought it would be easy enough, but facing the machine ..found that istructions are in Thai and I could not find the button to have it display English!!!.... went walking back the the queue, ignoring the security!!!

Got my ticket, B45 and up the escalator to the platform...

No hassle there.... but found that there are no dedicated space where you can place your luaggage bags on the train....

Arrived at the airport at the basement and you will have to go to 4th floor for departure check in..... better hunt for the elevator up, or else following the travellators will take a longer route and again no sufficient signs to lead you up.....

Ok, that's all for this short report.
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    This first thing I saw when exiting taxi to go up to the ticketing platform was this!!!

Why did anyone in the world design a train station for a line to the airport or from the airport come up with these steps!!!!! Didi they not know that most passengers coming from or going to the airport will have luaggages, some exceeding 20 kgs..... haiz....
                    It might look silly at first, but my theory is because this area on Ratchadamri is prone to flooding. Recently the flood levels would have crawled easily up the first few steps. And we all know, water + electronics = recipe for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      It might look silly at first, but my theory is because this area on Ratchadamri is prone to flooding. Recently the flood levels would have crawled easily up the first few steps. And we all know, water + electronics = recipe for disaster.
                      Yes, that could be the reason, but they could have done it better, maybe a slope instead of steps, wheelchair and luggage on wheels friendly!
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I think that is an extremely charitable way of reading the Thai authorities here. Access to most BTS stations and other public transport in Bangkok is appalling.

On a related note, I did read somewhere that they were thinking of sending the Express Trains straight to Phaya Thai, which is exactly what the service needs and would make it worth considering.

Comment

Sort of OT - but what is the best station to change to Skytrain if I want to get from say Airport to the Grand Hyatt Erawan?

Yes with taxi its the easiest. But I thought I'd give it a go with the train since I only have hand carry this time.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            I think that is an extremely charitable way of reading the Thai authorities here. Access to most BTS stations and other public transport in Bangkok is appalling.

On a related note, I did read somewhere that they were thinking of sending the Express Trains straight to Phaya Thai, which is exactly what the service needs and would make it worth considering.
                            I'm a charitable guy

Where'd you read that, I'd like to have a gander...
                            Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                            Sort of OT - but what is the best station to change to Skytrain if I want to get from say Airport to the Grand Hyatt Erawan?

Yes with taxi its the easiest. But I thought I'd give it a go with the train since I only have hand carry this time.

Thx
                            Airport interchanges to Phaya Thai interchanges to Chit Lom - even then it's not that near. Enjoy.

Comment

Airport interchanges to Phaya Thai interchanges to Chit Lom - even then it's not that near. Enjoy.
                              C'mon Kyo it's not "that" far to walk from Chit Lom to Hyatt, although I guess if you've got a fair amount of luggage it would be a little cumbersome

Comment

We're talking Guy Betsy and his life of luxury here...

Comment

Working...
                                X