Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out-of-the-ordinary countries you'd like to visit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-the-ordinary countries you'd like to visit?

Basically countries you'd like to travel to that are rarely mentioned on the destination list of your average traveler or those that rarely crosses one's mind when considerations are being made for a vacation.

For me I would love to travel North Korea when the opportunity is there. I've always wanted to get a feel of the atmosphere of the daily life that takes place there and If I am not mistaken, the only gateway to NK by air is through PEK on Air Kroyo. And unlike domestic U.S. carriers, I've been told that complimentary meals are served onboard Air Kroyo. Speaking of meals, I've also heard that you will be well fed on your tour which is rather ironic considering food shortages there and the famine plaguing on it's citizens.

At the same time yes I am also aware of the restrictions that will be placed on you such as no wondering outside of your hotel on your own, no interaction with the locals on the street, and the body gesture you will be displaying when you are taken to the statue of the father of Mr. Kim.

Anyways which countries you have never been to that you would like to pay a visit that are considered out-of-the-ordinary?
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Yes, the DPRK is one place I'd like to go - fascinating really.

Another place is to step foot on Antarctica. Both highly expensive ventures which i'll need to save up a long time for!

Comment

My number one country woud be Iran.

I would also like to go to North Korea but I suppose should try to make it to South Korea first.

Comment

All of the above mentioned (with Koryo Tours to North Korea being one of the few who do such trips).

Plus:

Cuba (go now before it changes forever)

Easter Island (best reached on a OW RTW AFAIK)

Falkland Islands (they're British innit! They used to only be reached using a Royal Air Force transport via Ascension Island but now it's a commercial company I believe)

Sabah / Sarawak (do they still have headhunters ?)

Pulau Ubin (how Singapore used to be!)

Shetland Islands (more than 500 miles north of London - pretty remote as far as the UK is concerned)

Comment

For me I'd like to visit everywhere, eventually.

I've already been to many places off the beaten track.

jhm - yes Easter Island can be expensive to get to, other than xONEx or one certain FFP's awards Falkland Islands can also be reached flying LAN. I have been putting this one off as it is all economy flight with 2 stops from Santiago, however LAN seems to be removing business from nearly all their South American flights

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Sabah / Sarawak (do they still have headhunters ?)
            Not sure about Sabah/ Sarawak but they still have headhunters in the highlands of Papua New Guinea.

Comment

Iceland, Samoa/Fiji, Peru, Africa (Namibia/Botswana/Tanzania/Gabon)

Comment

Easter Island; North Korea; Tromso (Norway); Siberia & Vladivostock; Nepal; South America.

Comment

North Korea (seemingly on everyone's list so far)
                  Antarctica (would love to spend a night on the iceshelf)
                  Israel

Comment

Cuba would be cool indeed (outside the tourist resorts of course!) but I don't speak Spanish so that would be pretty pointless...
                    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

North Korea has just got a bit harder to get to (at least properly) as tours are now on hold I understand. You can still "visit" from Seoul on a DMZ tour.

Iran is fairly easy if not American.

Antarctica is expensive to visit and will only get more expensive as capacity starts being limited and more of the costs of the visits (eg pollution) get charged to the cruises. You can fly over Antarctica from Australia - a few charter flights each year, and as I recently discovered on EZE-SYD you also fly over it (subject to conditions of course).

Comment

Cuba is not good to visit on a RTW. US government restrictions mean no US airline is allowed to ticket or be part of an itinerary that includes Cuba. On *A RTW this means flying AC there and back, adding a lot of mileage and limiting usefulness. On OW xONEx it is even worse because you add a continent (North America) for which you cannot take any intra-North America flights (at least not until MX joins OW).

Comment

Glad somebody else wants to visit Tromso - i believe it's the most northern University town and the journey there was immortalised by Bill Bryson, who stopped off enroute in "where-the-fcuk, Finland".

Canada - ok, maybe not such an oddball choice. But seriously...Banff, for a non-skier? I must be slightly unhinged, right?

Mt. Kilamanjaro - really want to do this trip. Need to shed some more weight, train harder. and save some serious cash to do it.
                          If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

To my mind, to visit most of the ME countries is no big deal, even the likes of Saudi Arabia and Iran, much less a far more open and visited one like Israel. If you're more the street culture than ancient history/culture sort, Iran could even be substituted by a visit to the southern burbs of Beirut or otherwise known as Northern Hizbullahstan.

At the moment, I would classify Libya, Syria and Iraq as amongst the more out of the ordinary and interesting ME countries to visit. Having lived in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and now Israel, I'm thinking of spending a few months in one of the Maghrebi countries, but will need to brush up my French before that. If I could live without reliable broadband internet access for more than a month I'd go to Syria, but it's also a bitch to get visas especially from Israel.

From the point of view as a somewhat jaded ME resident, the most out of the ordinary place I've visited is probably Papua New Guinea, Madang in particular, although there's a larger than what I expected S'porean community in Port Moresby.

Comment

Azerbaijan and the whatever-stans on the silk route would be interesting...

Comment

Working...
                              X