• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paging guttorm,
    When will you arrive at LHR?

Comment

A quick report on the Do (Part 1)

Here's a quick rundown on the Do so y'all can find out what we were up to :

The Do kicked off at the increasingly-favoured venue for pre-dinner drinks: the Mandarin Oriental at Knightsbridge. AJLondon was there first, but Lobster and I soon followed. The place was packed, but we managed to find a stand-up table to support the first round of drinks (watermelon martinis for AJLondon and me, some strawberry and champagne concoction for Lobster, who admitted he was going to be difficult and ask to see the drinks menu). Much missed: another episode of CGK and MovieMan spilling drinks on innocent onlookers as they give each other a welcome hug.

Soon cawhite joined us, to be followed by CGK and Jenbel (who, by the way, has NOT registered at SQT, so if you would like to put some gentle pressure her way by PMing her over at TOF, please do). In the course of the martini- and champagne-fueled conversation, very interesting quotable quotes came up. But I'm barred from revealing them, in case it would be too easy to find the guilty party who uttered them.

We split into two groups. One (cawhite, Jenbel, AJLondon) went to Brick Lane for some London curry. Another went to meet guttorm for dinner at Shanghai Blues. We were really late, partly because we had overstayed at the MO, but also partly because the cab driver had not heard of the restaurant, and I had neglected to remember the cross-street (or was that the watermelon martinis' effect? Hmmm...). Fortunately, guttorm is a very patient man, and the restaurant has much less attitude than Hakkasan. No problem with being nearly half an hour late, and they didn't try to kick us out of our table when we lingered for dessert, cognac, coffee and tea.

Good dining followed -- accompanied, of course, by scintillating conversation -- then we all (well, minus Lobster ) met up again at cawhite's suite at the Sheraton Belgravia (increasingly the post-dinner venue for LON SIN Do's when cawhite and her *wood Platinum card wield their power). Three bottles of champagne waited to be chilled, which took some time, because the staff had to be reminded of the request for ice and six champagne glasses. But all was forgiven because the staff member took a group picture that didn't turn out that badly.

(Sorry, have to split this post into two because of the image limitations on the website )
      Last edited by jjpb3; 26 November 2006, 08:41 PM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

A quick report on the Do (Part 2)

[continuation]

Soon I (being an old man who had to work the following day) was nodding off, despite the excellent conversation (hooray, dishing and gossip! ), and we went down to the lobby to wait for the cabs that AJLondon ordered for us. I napped during that time (see? age!), which made me miss the scene where the tw*t manning the reception desk warned CGK that he would have to ask us to step out because we weren't guests at the hotel. (I didn't learn about this until this morning, so I couldn't flash some Noo Yawk attitude.)

But fortunately, the cabs did turn up, we all went our ways, and LON SIN Do VI* proved to be a happy continuation of the fab series of experiences called LON SIN Do's.

Now, don't you wish you were there?**

* I know I originally suggested "CGK Post-India" as the nickname for this Do, but I think it should be renamed "SQ meets BA". As Jenbel commented (this is my recollection, so subject to recall bias), "Hmmm, BA meets SQ [she got the order wrong, bless her]: that sounds like a very dangerous thing."

** To see some of what you missed, here are some pictures : http://www.photobox.co.uk/shared/bro..._album=4485280
        Last edited by jjpb3; 26 November 2006, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          In the course of the martini- and champagne-fueled conversation, very interesting quotable quotes came up. But I'm barred from revealing them
          I'm glad I wasn't barred.

So one of my favourite quotes was: "I'm a blow-and-go kind of girl."

Comment

Originally posted by AJLondon View Post

So one of my favourite quotes was: "I'm a blow-and-go kind of girl."
            I think i heard that before.... somewhere in the midwest IIRC..........

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              I think i heard that before.... somewhere in the midwest IIRC..........
              I couldn't possible comment.

Comment

Post-script to add:

Thanks to CGK for the sambal sauce and the kacang disco (I think that's what it's called). OMG, the latter, which I hadn't tried before, is particularly addictive, and, unfortunately for me, damaging to my diet!

Comment

Great to see you all last night and sorry I had to wimp out early

Comment

Jenbel (who, by the way, has NOT registered at SQT, so if you would like to put some gentle pressure her way by PMing her over at TOF, please do)
                    I'm here, I'm here... I said I'd wait and see if I survived last night before registering

Originally posted by jjpb3
                    As Jenbel commented (this is my recollection, so subject to recall bias), "Hmmm, BA meets SQ [she got the order wrong, bless her]: that sounds like a very dangerous thing."
                    Near enough And the order was perfectly correct

I and Sheep had a fantastic time last night, just a little bit tired this morning He happily sat on the train, playing with his gift from his uncle CGK (or something like that )

Comment

Originally posted by Jenbel View Post
                      I'm here, I'm here... I said I'd wait and see if I survived last night before registering
                      Yay!

Originally posted by Jenbel View Post
                      playing with his gift from his uncle CGK (or something like that )
                      Hope there wasn't too much playing with the "gifts" that were procured from John Lewis!

Comment

Well, a hearty welcome to you and Sheep, Jenbel.

Comment

Another fun LON SIN Do it seems.
                          Although, isn't it more an "SQTalk LON DO" now?

Welcome to SQTalk, Jenbel (& Sheep).

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Another fun LON SIN Do it seems.
                            Although, isn't it more an "SQTalk LON DO" now?
                            Hmmm... The start of a new naming convention. Me likes.

Comment

Even though it was a mini-DO, it seemed like everyone had fun. Glad you all had a great time. My timing seems to always be off. Was in town Nov 12-17. Will be back Dec 9-14.

Regardless, seems like a LON DO is becoming a regular routine for some of you. Hope I can join next time (if invited).
                              "Hmmm, BA meets SQ [she got the order wrong, bless her]: that sounds like a very dangerous thing."
                              Wouldn't an SQ meets CX be more potent?
                              My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
                                My timing seems to always be off. Was in town Nov 12-17. Will be back Dec 9-14.
                                Let me know what your availability is like, Rejuv. Even if we can't make it a mini-Do, I can meet up with you over a nice dinner or a round of drinks if I'm in town. OK?

Comment

Working...
                                X