Bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
    To be honest it does cost something? Nobody paid for the first class seat, yet a first class product was used hence they have to replace it for the next flight (ignore the fact that they don’t carry just enough but the extras are also meant to be first class passengers right?)

To be honest also, many minor things can add up. Imagine other J passengers asking for it too, even people in Y asking for J product or even F.

I think they may want to avoid continuing setting the same precedent that was set by other sets of crew that may not be right and setting the wrong level of expectations for future flights.

Of course the communication could have been better, but then other crews providing is already out of goodwill and crew dependent, shouldn’t be taken as a given I supposed?
    Let us all remind ourselves that there are many out there.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ce-on-facebook
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSgHD8cSKjI

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
      self-entitlement is the problem tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post

Iam not feeling sorry for the crew.

In fact its a minor request from a passenger sitting in J. To fulfill this request would make one customer happy without costing anything. The extra mile you would expect from an 5* airline (their ads are suggesting that they would go the extra mile).

To call that an impossible request is putting the story totally out of proportion.
        I am a 200-naire and i shall not ruffle the feathers of a 300-naire. Having that said, a less than 100-naire should know there are so many and all sorts of minor requests in a flight. If acceded because of the fear in upsetting any passenger then SQ has stock up a provision shop up there for sundries moving across cabins.

Asking for something that you have no entitlement is not reasonable in the first place. You are asking for a goodwill against the rule or a concessation to be given by others. If declined, it is not unexpected and doesn't set the crew backward of not going an extra mile.

Treat the crews as if they will treat you like the way you treat them.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
          I am a 200-naire and i shall not ruffle the feathers of a 300-naire. Having that said, a less than 100-naire should know there are so many and all sorts of minor requests in a flight. If acceded because of the fear in upsetting any passenger then SQ has stock up a provision shop up there for sundries moving across cabins.

Asking for something that you have no entitlement is not reasonable in the first place. You are asking for a goodwill against the rule or a concessation to be given by others. If declined, it is not unexpected and doesn't set the crew backward of not going an extra mile.

Treat the crews as if they will treat you like the way you treat them.
          The Golden Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
            In return, the passenger should also behave like a 5* passenger. It's also does not cost anything to make the crew happy too working with you, right? After all, crews are humans too.
            Right on. Do not expect 5* service all the time. You have to think of these crews as well. I always use the Golden Rule when I travel by plane and so should anyone else 👍

Comment

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...719.1459610858

Comment

I recently flew Emirates AMS-DXB-TPE return (all A380) in economy and I noticed a number of differences with my Singapore Airlines flights in economy earlier in 2017, AMS-SIN-AKL return (A350 & A380) and AMS-SIN(-HKT) return (A350). I must say, the hard product of Emirates is great, but in terms of service and transit airport Emirates is lacking behind.

The planes: I prefer the A380 over the A350 due to the lower cabin noise level and the A380 feels more spacious to me. With Emirates you have the opportunity to sit in front of the aircraft where the engine noise is hardly noticable. Upper deck on Singapore Airlines is also good but not many upper deck economy class sections in its fleet. However, boarding with Emirates was pretty disorganised and was better with Singapore Airlines' A380 to and from Auckland.

Entertainment: Emirates has very large screens in some of its A380's and the touchscreen works well with a vast selection of movies. A little bit better than Singapore Airlines and so are Emirates' headphones. Singapore Airlines has switched to earphones which I find quite uncomfortable with a bad sound quality. On the plus side, Singapore Airlines has a convenient reading light integrated in the touchscreen, but switching it on and off via the software can be complicated. Why not a simple physical button?

Meals: in my opinion, meals on Singapore Airlines economy flights are somewhat tastier. Pretty consistent. More a hit and miss on Emirates flights. However, I prefer the wine on Emirates flights. Both airlines use metal cutlery.

Transit airport Dubai versus Singapore: Singapore Changi is much better than Dubai. Dubai Airport is disorganised, ugly and sometimes overcrowded. Changi, with its gardens and ponds is so relaxed for a transit.

Cabin crew: Definitely better on Singapore Airlines. Much more consistent. Generally, the attendants of Singapore Airlines are more proactive, friendlier and better organised. Emirates is proud to announce its many nationalities of crew on board, but they barely work together as a team. Moreover, Singapore's crew distribute hot towels before the meal service while Emirates' crew distrubute them on other moments. I absolutely prefer the first. If you press the service button, Singapore's crew are more responsive.

While my experience with Singapore Airlines is better than with Emirates, I have to say that other airlines are catching up with their products and service level. The service on my KLM flight to Toronto last year was very good too and so were the meals. The gap is narrowing.
                Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 3 January 2018, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeisureFlyer View Post
                  I recently flew Emirates AMS-DXB-TPE return (all A380) in economy and I noticed a number of differences with my Singapore Airlines flights in economy earlier in 2017, AMS-SIN-AKL return (A350 & A380) and AMS-SIN(-HKT) return (A350). I must say, the hard product of Emirates is great, but in terms of service and transit airport Emirates is lacking behind.

The planes: I prefer the A380 over the A350 due to the lower cabin noise level and the A380 feels more spacious to me. With Emirates you have the opportunity to sit in front of the aircraft where the engine noise is hardly noticable. Upper deck on Singapore Airlines is also good but not many upper deck economy class sections in its fleet. However, boarding with Emirates was pretty disorganised and was better with Singapore Airlines' A380 to and from Auckland.

Entertainment: Emirates has very large screens in some of its A380's and the touchscreen works well with a vast selection of movies. A little bit better than Singapore Airlines and so are Emirates' headphones. Singapore Airlines has switched to earphones which I find quite uncomfortable with a bad sound quality. On the plus side, Singapore Airlines has a convenient reading light integrated in the touchscreen, but switching it on and off via the software can be complicated. Why not a simple physical button?

Meals: in my opinion, meals on Singapore Airlines economy flights are somewhat tastier. Pretty consistent. More a hit and miss on Emirates flights. However, I prefer the wine on Emirates flights. Both airlines use metal cutlery.

Transit airport Dubai versus Singapore: Singapore Changi is much better than Dubai. Dubai Airport is disorganised, ugly and sometimes overcrowded. Changi, with its gardens and ponds is so relaxed for a transit.

Cabin crew: Definitely better on Singapore Airlines. Much more consistent. Generally, the attendants of Singapore Airlines are more proactive, friendlier and better organised. Emirates is proud to announce its many nationalities of crew on board, but they barely work together as a team. Moreover, Singapore's crew distribute hot towels before the meal service while Emirates' crew distrubute them on other moments. I absolutely prefer the first. If you press the service button, Singapore's crew are more responsive.

While my experience with Singapore Airlines is better than with Emirates, I have to say that other airlines are catching up with their products and service level. The service on my KLM flight to Toronto last year was very good too and so were the meals. The gap is narrowing.
                  Very detailed explanation. My mother had the same experience with EK in November in terms of service and the entertainment system. I personally think irrespective of the cuts SQ has done, I prefer SQ for food and service. EK was okay the last time I went. My mom had a better time in contrast on EK.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                    In return, the passenger should also behave like a 5* passenger. It's also does not cost anything to make the crew happy too working with you, right? After all, crews are humans too.
                    I agree that things are always easier if you treat people with respect and politeness. It will reflect accordingly. But still crews are professionals who are also paid to deal with demanding customers (maybe to deal with an expectation built up by marketing experts).

To be honest it does cost something? Nobody paid for the first class seat, yet a first class product was used hence they have to replace it for the next flight (ignore the fact that they don’t carry just enough but the extras are also meant to be first class passengers right?)
                    We are not talking about an upgrade, just a cheapo tooth brush.

I think they may want to avoid continuing setting the same precedent that was set by other sets of crew that may not be right and setting the wrong level of expectations for future flights.
                    So next time I have to decline getting greeted or receiving a bottle of water in Y because it may set a precedent?

Of course the communication could have been better, but then other crews providing is already out of goodwill and crew dependent, shouldn’t be taken as a given I supposed?
                    The crew has to find the right balance. I think the handling of this situation could have been better. Still, I believe the request was not totally unreasonable and could have been fulfilled easily.

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                    I disagree to your first sentence. See all of us have at some point requested for something minor onboard or on the ground we may have not be "entitled to". May it be an additional pillow, a different seat at check-in, earplugs, or whatever else it may have been. I would still expect the crew to listen no matter if the customers request is considered reasonable or unreasonable and I would expect them to answer politely to such request. There is a fine line whether a customer request is reasonable or unreasonable. The airline staff (may it be the crew or ground staff) has to find the right balance at the end whether they go the extra mile or turn the request down.

For sure with a introduction sentence like "Iam PPS, ...." my sympathy is not with the customer......

Comment

Iam not feeling sorry for the crew.

In fact its a minor request from a passenger sitting in J. To fulfill this request would make one customer happy without costing anything. The extra mile you would expect from an 5* airline (their ads are suggesting that they would go the extra mile).

To call that an impossible request is putting the story totally out of proportion.
                      You are looking at the passenger point of view. Have we ever considered looking it from the crew perspective?

Can it be the SQ policy that cause the crew behave this way? i.e. SQ makes the crews countable for every items "lost" in the flight. In this case, there is no F pax, hence there should not be any F amenities used. If there is, then the crews probably have to submit the report to explain this.

I was on the CX Biz class, flying HKG-ORD, a few hours before landing, I was asking another bottle of water, as I finished the Evian they gave. I saw one crew was holding another Evian bottle about to pass it to me, however, another crew stop her. And she ended up brought me the Boncafe bottle water.

I am guessing, the senior crew was telling the junior crew that they cannot anyhow give the evian water, as it may be counted against the number of pax in C.

Actually I was quite pissed at that time, as how much another evian bottle cost? But, I can fault the crew, as it may be CX "new" policies.

Sometimes it is very difficult to become Frontliner like the crews.
                      visit my blog

Comment

I agree that things are always easier if you treat people with respect and politeness. It will reflect accordingly. But still crews are professionals who are also paid to deal with demanding customers (maybe to deal with an expectation built up by marketing experts).

So next time I have to decline getting greeted or receiving a bottle of water in Y because it may set a precedent?

The crew has to find the right balance. I think the handling of this situation could have been better. Still, I believe the request was not totally unreasonable and could have been fulfilled easily.

I disagree to your first sentence. See all of us have at some point requested for something minor onboard or on the ground we may have not be "entitled to". May it be an additional pillow, a different seat at check-in, earplugs, or whatever else it may have been. I would still expect the crew to listen no matter if the customers request is considered reasonable or unreasonable and I would expect them to answer politely to such request. There is a fine line whether a customer request is reasonable or unreasonable. The airline staff (may it be the crew or ground staff) has to find the right balance at the end whether they go the extra mile or turn the request down.

For sure with a introduction sentence like "Iam PPS, ...." my sympathy is not with the customer......
                        You are being economical with the logic (and principles).

If you say it is a "cheapo tooth brush", similarly there are many other "cheapo" items I can identify in F that are not available in J. The shaving foam can. The macadamia nuts (see how much they sell them for in Giant). Heck, even some of their soups are real "cheapo" and only have a couple of morsels of chicken and parsley floating around.

Once again, you try and distort the issue that reddevil has focused on with these red herrings: the passenger demanding something that is not par for the course in the cabin he is in. If the crew, on their own initiative, decide to give you Dom or Krug from F, or heck, bake a souffle for you in Y, then so be it if they want to do it. But for the passenger on the other hand, to demand something, now that is different. Please don't muddy the waters.

An additional pillow, a different seat, earplugs, can be considered all part of the same cabin service (the ear plugs are the same across Y, J and F) so this does nothing to support your fallacious illustrations. Unless somebody in Y is asking for J or F pillows, for example.

Comment

you mentioned that there’s no cost, but a supposedly cheapo tooth brush also cost money? Also if it is really that cheapo, pretty sure one can prepare and bring it along if not be maybe just be content with whatever that’s available?

if they offered, it’s a different thing.

of course the communication and the way the situation was handled should have been better.

But what might be reasonable to some, might not be reasonable to others.

For sure. Communication matters and how they handle it matters.

If the request is rejected regardless of how reasonable it might be, Because it is really out of goodwill by the crew and not cause it is an entitlement, I think a passenger will not have the moral high ground to have any qualms about it.
                          Last edited by reddevil0728; 3 January 2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                            You are looking at the passenger point of view. Have we ever considered looking it from the crew perspective?

Can it be the SQ policy that cause the crew behave this way? i.e. SQ makes the crews countable for every items "lost" in the flight. In this case, there is no F pax, hence there should not be any F amenities used. If there is, then the crews probably have to submit the report to explain this.

I was on the CX Biz class, flying HKG-ORD, a few hours before landing, I was asking another bottle of water, as I finished the Evian they gave. I saw one crew was holding another Evian bottle about to pass it to me, however, another crew stop her. And she ended up brought me the Boncafe bottle water.

I am guessing, the senior crew was telling the junior crew that they cannot anyhow give the evian water, as it may be counted against the number of pax in C.

Actually I was quite pissed at that time, as how much another evian bottle cost? But, I can fault the crew, as it may be CX "new" policies.

Sometimes it is very difficult to become Frontliner like the crews.
                            It think it will be more taboo if the crew took something from F and the ground crew didn’t replace it cause they thought there’s no passengers in F previously. Then the next flight, there are F passengers, they realised something is not available. Bigger hooha

Comment

Agree, but that's not what happened here. The customer is calling it a 'bad experience' because a request for a higher class amenity was declined.

Comment

Generally overall over the past 15 years, have seen the service level on SIA somewhat declining from what it used to be the world standard for other airlines. One thing though is for real and the meals are dropping in quality for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X