• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
    It’s time we played a little guessing game: retirement order 😂

SQL
    SQM
    SQN
    SRM <- last, because SR versions have so far appeared to be preferred (whilst the SQx have all be sent to the desert to die with all but SQI (which was leased) and SQH finding a buyer (VIM airlines, nonetheless rotting in the desert now too))

SVM
    SVN
    SVB
    SVC
    SVE <- last, because last to have undergone major maintenance and refurbishment
    A agree with the SV series retirement order. But for the 772s, yes SQL should go first since it's the only one without the hand-me-down stuff, but between SQM/N and SRM, SRM is the only one left with the J seats still in the light brown leather seats while SQM/N have been reupholstered to the dark brown seats. Looking at their age, SRM is also a whole year older than SQM/N. So I'd say:

SQL
    SRM
    SQM
    SQN

Comment

• Interestingly, I discovered on aeroconnect that SQ has listed SQJ, SVE and SVC for sale.

SQJ - “maintained as a flyer” meaning to say, ready to be put into service anytime after having been parked at Changi since withdrawal in July 2018

SVC - available April 2020, note C check due in Dec 2019
      SVE - available March 2020, note C check due April 2020

I’m not sure the info on aeroconnect and fleetintel is conclusive; meaning none of the other 772s are listed for sale (elsewhere)? And likely destined to the desert upon retirement.
      This is fascinating, observing how SQ plans the disposal of its old aircraft in the current market.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        Are you flying in J or Y?
        I was flying Y.

Luckily both my 772-ER and 773 were not museum grade cabin.

I personally think the new seat cushion is not very comfortable. Anyone has the same feeling?
        visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          The oldest of 772s/773s have been flying for SQ for 18 years, although a few have been trasferred to NokScoot which would see them flying past their 20th year. This is the first time that SQ have flown a passenger plane the longest years in history. Back in the earlier days, SQ then have the policy of changing their aircraft every 10-12 years to keep the average age down and have one of the youngest average age of aircrafts. But in recent years SQ have kept their planes flying much longer and perhaps even fly them for up to 20 years. Whilst its ok to fly them longer however in recent times there have been quite a number of passengers complaints about the poor cabin seats that are not properly maintained and the PTV system.

I personally have no issue to fly 18-20 years plane if the cabin has been refreshed.
          visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
            Interestingly, I discovered on aeroconnect that SQ has listed SQJ, SVE and SVC for sale.

SQJ - “maintained as a flyer” meaning to say, ready to be put into service anytime after having been parked at Changi since withdrawal in July 2018

SVC - available April 2020, note C check due in Dec 2019
            SVE - available March 2020, note C check due April 2020

I’m not sure the info on aeroconnect and fleetintel is conclusive; meaning none of the other 772s are listed for sale (elsewhere)? And likely destined to the desert upon retirement.
            This is fascinating, observing how SQ plans the disposal of its old aircraft in the current market.
            Thanks for the list. Very pleased to see 9V-SVC still soldiering on after so many years. She was BI's first B777 to be delivered on lease, could remember the hype surrounding her arrival at BWN. First "new" widebody after long time in Brunei aviation history. Upon return from lease, she was put back into service with SVF, SVG, and SVB. Her siblings SVD and SVB weren't as lucky although later SVB was picked up by Privilege Style.

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
              Thanks for the list. Very pleased to see 9V-SVC still soldiering on after so many years. She was BI's first B777 to be delivered on lease, could remember the hype surrounding her arrival at BWN. First "new" widebody after long time in Brunei aviation history. Upon return from lease, she was put back into service with SVF, SVG, and SVB. Her siblings SVD and SVB weren't as lucky although later SVB was picked up by Privilege Style.
              You mean SVA and not SVB do you?
              Btw yes, anyone has any intel as to why SVA & SVD were not returned to service? I know they were maintained as flyers but they were never sold and instead transferred back and forth from ASP for storage and maintenance.

Comment

• SVN hasn’t flown since 6th September.

Comment

• It does seem to appear that they are pulling the old cabins out of service first. SRO and SVN aren’t flying and SQL is just doing Scoot replacements. That just leaves SVM within the 772 pool and then SYF and SYL will become the last two planes in the fleet with any pre-2006 products. I’m wondering if they’ll bother to keep producing a separate KrisFlyer magazine for just two planes.

Comment

• SYL has also been out for two weeks now - I wonder if it will emerge with a new cabin down the back.

Comment

• Since SQ aren’t retiring any 773s just yet, that might be a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                        772 (SQx/SRx)
                        SQ 247 Singapore - MEL - WLG 4x weekly (until 28 Oct)
                        SQ 448 Singapore - Dhaka 3x weekly (from 1 Feb 2020 until 28 March 2020)
                        SQ 800 Singapore - Beijing Daily (from 1 Feb 2020)
                        SQ 868 Singapore - Hong Kong Daily (from 27 Oct until 6 Jan 2020)
                        SQ 868 Singapore - Hong Kong Daily (from 29 March 2020)
                        SQ 890 Singapore - Hong Kong Daily (until 26 Oct)
                        SQ 932 Singapore - Surabaya 1x weekly (until 25 Oct)
                        SQ 968 Singapore - Jakarta Daily (from 27 Oct until 30 Nov)
                        SQ 976 Singapore - Bangkok Daily (from 1 Dec until 31 Dec)
                        SQ 992 Singapore - Phuket Daily (until 26 Oct)
                        SQ 992 Singapore - Phuket Daily (from 1 Feb 2020)
                        I noticed on this list that SQ has no 772 flights scheduled between 7 and 31 Jan 2020. A sign of things? CMIIW.

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                          SYL has also been out for two weeks now - I wonder if it will emerge with a new cabin down the back.
                          If either of them were to get a refresh it’d be SYL but I won’t hold my breath. It really depends on whether they plan to keep it for a year longer or say 4 years longer and that we can only guess about.

Comment

• As SQ is not phasing out the 5 773s, its very likley that SYL gets the refit as its the "youngest" only 14.4 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              As SQ is not phasing out the 5 773s, its very likley that SYL gets the refit as its the "youngest" only 14.4 years old.
                              What evidence do we have that they are not phasing them out beyond the end of the current financial year?

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                                SYL has also been out for two weeks now - I wonder if it will emerge with a new cabin down the back.
                                Oops. It flew today.

I think the time to refit these birds have passed. If SQ wanted to, they should've done it quickly and properly a few years ago when they did the other frames.

The only long-ish routes that they fly (e.g. Mumbai, Shanghai, and upcoming HND) tend to be additional flights - either seasonal, or non-daily flights - and I guess there's no priority to put 'good' products on these flights.

CGK, MNL, and BWN are short enough that there's no real need for the updated IFE and seats. Even then, the 773 on the more popular SQ910/917 is being replaced by the A350R and being moved to the less popular 912/919 timing.

Comment

Working...
                                X