No announcement yet.

Shanghai Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for those - they were considered, but knowing KeithMEL's preference for the non-St Regis-type of hotel... as opposed to (I believe) the HUGE one's preference for the St Regis (at least, in Singapore)... I guess the real comparison I seek is between LRM - SR - Hilton

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Isn't telling you (again) to stay in Puxi (not Pudong) enough ?

In Shanghai, I've only stayed at the S-L in Pudong and the LRM in Puxi. The former is a far nicer hotel but the location...
    And no, telling a first-timer to stay in Puxi isn't enough - that's like telling someone who's visiting Singapore for the first time to stay 'in town'.

Disclaimer: My incessant questioning could just be the 'bored-on-Friday-night-in-SIN' syndrome!

Update #2: I've decided I'm unlikely to come back to PVG anytime soon, so I've gone against my own judgement and booked the Imperial Suite at the Royal Meridien... let's see if they'll let me partner that up with a Free Weekend Night (hehe... oh, to be unceremoniously dumped into the Royal Club would be a tragedy on the second night!)
    Last edited by Kyo; 14 August 2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Does the Imperial Suite have an imperial price ?

Comment

A tad.

As a backup I've booked an Expo Family Package in a Residential Suite in case they choose not to let me continue for a 2nd night on my FWN in an Imperial.

Life is short...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          A tad.

As a backup I've booked an Expo Family Package in a Residential Suite in case they choose not to let me continue for a 2nd night on my FWN in an Imperial.

Life is short...
          I agree. Life is short... so one should go around gobbling up yummy food and men along the way. But I would not spend $$$ on suites in city hotels, unless it's a special occasion or a resort and spa holiday where I'd be spending a fair amount of time in the room.

Comment

First-timer to PVG and heard that Pudong's the side to stay on
            Yeah, if you enjoy being in the tech park/boring business district and on top of the old graveyard!

During my visit (2003, I think it was), I stayed at The Regent, which was under "probation" from the brand and has since lost it's namesake for not being built up to standards. [Like that's a surprise in China. ] Being brand new, my cylinder shower was not caulked properly and flooded the entire bathroom. My sheets almost cut me. The taxis refused to use the left hand turn lane to get into the hotel...insisting to go go around the block numerous times -- but that's kind of a taxi thing in China. [You can tell how much I love the homeland. ] But overall, I did enjoy my stay. Note: Don't drink "The Chairman's Wine." It REALLY SUCKS.

It is now the Longemont:

http://www.thelongemonthotels.com/hotellntroduction.asp

In researching hotels for family, I chose the LM over all other options. The Hyatt has been getting mixed reviews, and Pudong is out of the question. But I can say the Park Hyatt is also not very up to PH standards. SR looks quite nice, but is in a tough location if you want to do stuff.
            HUGE AL

Comment

I've stayed at both LRM and Westin Bund as a Plat. Didn't go away being too wow-ed by either property. Westin Bund is near the Bund, not on it. LRM has a better view, being taller.

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
                Rather than start a new thread...(nod to Huge Al)...
                has anyone stayed at Le Royal Meridien?

Any feedback appreciated.

TIA!
                I have, and aside from the nice views I can't say I was impressed:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=48

Comment

I will be doing a (work-paid) 2 nights stay at the Peace Hotel in about 3 weeks.

Quite chuffed about that.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    I've stayed at both LRM and Westin Bund as a Plat. Didn't go away being too wow-ed by either property. Westin Bund is near the Bund, not on it. LRM has a better view, being taller.
                    Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I have, and aside from the nice views I can't say I was impressed:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=48
                    Any other recommendations in the Bund area?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Thank you Huge Al, jhm, Man Flyer and milehighj for your replies.

Decided to take a leaf out of Kyo+++++++++'s book,

and....drum roll....

I booked the Peasant's Suite at the LRM at a peasant's price !

Will report back in Sept.

Huge Al, thanks for the Longemont mention, LRM's location seems better on paper.
                      F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Decided to take a leaf out of Kyo+++++++++'s book,

and....drum roll....

I booked the Peasant's Suite at the LRM at a peasant's price !

Will report back in Sept.
                        I like this guy already!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          Any other recommendations in the Bund area?
                          Unfortunately not. I have only stayed in the two Hyatts (Park & Grand), LRM and Shangri-La.

I like the Shang and the Park Hyatt but as others have rightly said Pudong is boring. In fact I don't like Shanghai anyway so I try and keep the length of stays there to a minimum.

Comment

Huge Al, thanks for the Longemont mention, LRM's location seems better on paper.
                            Agreed. I need to be on the Changning side, however, for family convenience.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            Unfortunately not. I have only stayed in the two Hyatts (Park & Grand), LRM and Shangri-La.

I like the Shang and the Park Hyatt but as others have rightly said Pudong is boring. In fact I don't like Shanghai anyway so I try and keep the length of stays there to a minimum.
                            I'm totally with you on that one. Not a big fan of China.

I heard the Park Hyatt missteps here and there... Such a shame as it looks like a nice property...with a nice rooftop bar.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Of course, I would also check out the Pearl Tower as a tourist, so I thought that would be fun.
                              Its OK to go see it from the outside but DO NOT go up it. You can get a similar view from the Grand Hyatt in Pudong. For the same amount of money going up the tower, you can have a nice drink at the Cloud9 bar in the Hyatt. Plus, you get comfy chairs and no jostling crowds.

Have never stayed in any of the hotels mentioned. Did stay in a 2,000sqft apartment for a mere RMB800 and that was during the F1 weekend. Location is far west in Puxi so way off your radar.

Comment

Thanks for the timely tip to not go up!

But you know, first-timers are curious people...

Also it seems the general consensus is that the Expo pavilions are on Pudong? Man, I need to research how the Expo changes things... if all the Expo exhibits are in Pudong, I may swing back to the SR, frankly, as this is a major reason for me to go. All the other things are permanent but not the exhibits (with the exception of the China ones, of course)

Will be starting a Shanghai fatty crab recommendation thread shortly

Comment

Working...
                                X