questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions

hi all, i am new here. i have been fascinated by the wonder photos provided for SQ F in this forum. i am curious about how you guys can actually travel in F for almost all your flights? isnt it very costly? if i have a chance, i would also like to travel in SQ F someday, so please keep your replies coming in.
    ________
    NO2 VAPORIZER
    Last edited by rockie111; 17 March 2011, 05:29 AM.

Hi Rockie111 welcome to SQT

Rest assured the majority of us here actually do the vast majority of our flights in Y. A lot of the F trips you see here will be award tickets using miles that people have earned. Some are lucky and get first class travel for work and some are just plain rich and can afford to pay for it.

Personally I have been lucky and have recently had a client who has paid for me to travel in F a couple of times (all the rest of my work travel is in Y). I have also used my miles for another trip in F. You do need to be careful about boards like this you see and hear so much about travel in F that you do get tempted. Last year I saved up and paid my own hard earned cash for a F trip on CX as I had heard so much about how it compared to SQ that I just had to try myself (SQ is better by the way)

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      Rest assured the majority of us here actually do the vast majority of our flights in Y.
      I am flying cattle class YYZ-YVR on WestJet this Saturday and back on Jan 31. Should be fun.
      My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

I am fortunate enough to grab one of the last CMB F tickets. My parents company paid for it I am working on the trip report right now. If you look for it. It's a heavy photo report

Other than that my F travel or C travel has been using upgrades or miles.

Comment

I travel in Y for Leisure and C/J for business. C/J flights for leisure are only possible thank to award flights

and welcome aboard, rockie!
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by rockie111 View Post
            i am curious about how you guys can actually travel in F for almost all your flights? isnt it very costly?
            rockie111, welcome to SQTalk! Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to pay (or have their work pay) full fare F originating from somewhere like LHR. For the rest of us:

(i) Award travel on miles/points - either an F ticket itself or upgrading a paid for J ticket. Of course you have to have the miles/points in the first place and this should involve lots of flying BUT depending on the programme, there are other ways to accumulate these relatively fast and possibly without sigificant spending.

(ii) Originating your journey from a location which is significantly cheaper than (say) LHR and buying the F ticket.

(iii) Buying a round the world ticket in F. Although the ticket itself isn't cheap (but again, it varies depending where you start), you do get a lot of flights.

(iv) Other less common methods depending on the circumstances, e.g. fare mistakes; clever (perhaps technically not allowed) routings/fares; etc.

Comment

Most of my personal travel is done in Y. My personal policy has always been Y or Y+ for flights under 8 hours, and C for flights above that. Except that time I just had to try SQ Raffles Class as everyone raves on about it - it was still reasonably affordable from MEL to SIN/HKG.

Work pays for travel in Y unfortunately, but then the only work travel I ever do are short 1 hr hops up to CBR.

As I'm still a uni student (only work 2.5 days a week), I pay for most of my trips myself. My parents live in SIN and HKG, and they pay for my flights whenever I visit them. For my other trips - I save hard so I can see more of the world. I'm always on the look out for bargain fares - and this is where boards like SQTalk come in useful. I also put my miles and FFP upgrade vouchers towards a more comfy ride.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 January 2007, 08:15 PM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

thanks alot for the replies, people!
                ________
                Honda civic (fifth generation) history
                Last edited by rockie111; 17 March 2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Like most of the guys here, most of my travels (work) are in Y. But, I have been fortunate to upgrade most of it to C on my recent travels (notably to SFO and MEL). Some are op-ups (AKL).

As for personal travel, most are also in Y, with some occassions in C (esp for those PPS qualifying flights unfortunately).

With the prospect of a better paying job this year, I hope to travel more on C and perhaps F.

Comment

Working...
                  X