Expert Flyer vs. KVS Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert Flyer vs. KVS Tool

I am planning to join either program to help me to plan my trips, but I cannot make a choice between them, so hope the exeprt here can give me some opinions.

I would like to join the Premium Service in ExpertFlyer(US$99.99) or Diamond in KVS Tool(US$75)

Thank you for your help~!!

Post on availability tools has some info that may be of use. Of course both KVS and Expert Flyer are far more than just availability tools.

Comment

Kiwi, Thanks for your help~

As I am now having airline ticketing course too, the tools can help me to understand the real world example.

But during my search, is that KVS have more fare/availability sources than ExpertFlyer? or the only different is that KVS have to install in my own computer while the web-base ExpertFlyer can view anywhere once I can connect the internet~?

Comment

One thing to bear in mind is that EF only ever shows USA as point of sale, which renders most SQ/CX availability screens useless. (i.e. shows available on EF but not when you call up to book/change the flight)

If KVS supports point of sale properly (i.e. you can specify the country of sale) then KVS would be more useful for travellers whose main airline is one of the airlines that uses extensive yield management such as SQ or CX.

Comment

Both KVS and Expert Flyer have advantages and disadvantages. Which is better depends on your circumstances.

stargold - Expert Flyer does allow non-US POS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            stargold - Expert Flyer does allow non-US POS.
            Could you tell me how I specify it, then? I'm probably being slow - I've looked around and haven't seen it anywhere. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
              But during my search, is that KVS have more fare/availability sources than ExpertFlyer?
              That is correct.

Some of the advantages of the KVS Tool include:
              • Incomparably wider award availability coverage in all 3 global alliances:

• Available exclusively via KVS Tool (Awards):
                  *A: AC/LH/CO/US/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/JJ/A3/SQ/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF
                  *O: BA/QF/IB/MA/AY/LA/4M/CX/KA
                  *S: DL/KL/RO/AM/VN
                  **: UN/DE/MP/VG/YX/FJ
                • Available exclusively via KVS Tool (Upgrades):
                  *A: LH/US/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/A3/SQ/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF
                  *O: BA

• Also available via KVS Tool (Awards):
                  *A: LX/BD/NZ/SN/CA/FM
                  *S: AF/OK/SU/CZ/KE/UX/KQ
                  **: MH/LY/EI/G3/IT/AS/TN/HA/F9
                • Also available via KVS Tool (Upgrades):
                  *A: AC/LX/BD/NZ/SN/CA/FM
                  **: LY

• Text seat maps for most carriers, which can be easily copied-and-pasted into a Forum post or an e-mail message, just like most other types of results (availability, fares, fare rules).

• Multiple GDS & Point-of-Sale (POS) options for more relevant/accurate availability data.

• 'Always-on' approach: No need to log-in (except for once every 6/12 months when renewing membership); users are never 'logged-out'.

• Keyboard shortcuts, which enable mouse-free interaction and can really speed things up.

• PNR Manager

• Reference Information Lookup:
                • Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]
                • Minimum Connection Time [MCT]

• Flight Operational Info (With Airline Comments)

• Visa/Immigration/Customs Information (TIMATIC)
              Last edited by KVS; 23 June 2010, 03:51 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, was wondering if the local gurus can advise the better option out of EF or KVS for someone flying *A 99.9% of the time?

For the record, tried KVS last year but couldn't really get it working properly and the account expired. I'm going to give it a try again and see if I can get it to work, but am considering one of them (I do know they are different, and KVS is cheaper for top-level yearly access, but since I couldn't get it to work previously I've no way to really compare and come to my own conclusion just yet)...

Comment

I fly mainly *A and use EF. I haven't tried KVS myself but a few people I know use it.

KVS is a member on here maybe be worth dropping them a PM if you need help using it.

What has prompted this, the NH tool now blocking searches for members with no miles in the account ?. There is a workaround for that anyway.

Comment

It's a whole bunch of factors actually. The main one being that I've just been tasked with the extended family's 2011 holiday planning. The thought of clicking all day on NH scares me...

Comment

Going Off-Topic.....

One thing I've learnt in planning for extended family vacations is to LIMIT their choices or NO choice.

When my bro-in-law and I plan, we make all the decisions on what flights, where we stay..... and then tell them this is THE itinerary. Very rarely have we deviated....

Trust me on this one. You won't regret it

Comment

Thanks for the tip, 9V-JKL... I'm trying to do the same and since it's way forward to book everything, I was just running through some tentative scenarios first. Connections/stopovers/transits etc... need to know how many planes leaving/times/from where etc...

It ain't easy but oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          I'm trying to do the same and since it's way forward to book everything, I was just running through some tentative scenarios first. Connections/stopovers/transits etc... need to know how many planes leaving/times/from where etc...

It ain't easy but oh well...
                          I can recall how much planning you do for your own flights (and it ain't pretty! ) so I'm not sure how more involved this task can be!

If it's just an easier front end to the NH tool, KVS will do that for you (and much more of course).

FWIW, I use KVS because it's quick and easy compared to logging into EF etc. However, I use EF for seat/availability alerts.

If you travel a fair amount, either or even both of them are not going to break the bank and are well worth it...

Comment

Thanks jhm - I do intend to get at least one of the programs.

However the additional complexity that comes with each 'tier' makes me question (since I'm mostly interested only in *A), which way should I swing and which tier would I need? I don't want to pay for features I don't need such as OW-only specific advantages at higher levels...

I'm not sure if I'll 'miss' anything I'll really need by opting for one of the lesser tiers...

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, was wondering if the local gurus can advise the better option out of EF or KVS for someone flying *A 99.9% of the time?
                              If you are a '*A person', then there is absolutely no comparison between the two -- only the KVS Tool has 100% *A award/upgrade availability coverage and is the only Tool, which supports SQ/LH/US/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF.

It's a whole bunch of factors actually. The main one being that I've just been tasked with the extended family's 2011 holiday planning. The thought of clicking all day on NH scares me...
                              And that would be the perfect use for the [Awards/StarAlliance] function:

However the additional complexity that comes with each 'tier' makes me question (since I'm mostly interested only in *A), which way should I swing and which tier would I need? I don't want to pay for features I don't need such as OW-only specific advantages at higher levels..
                              No need to worry -- there are no *O-specific advantages at the top tiers .

Comment

Working...
                              X