No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This photo is dated 13 May. It appears that, according to a few SQ Talkers' sightings, she has since been reintroduced into active service. Does any one have the latest photos of 9V-SQB in full SQ colours?

Comment

So where is 9V-SYD? Still in SIN, sold, or stored?

Comment

It appears that 9V-SYD is the first 777 to have been retired by SQ. Any news on her whereabouts?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          It appears that 9V-SYD is the first 777 to have been retired by SQ. Any news on her whereabouts?
          From what I understand, none of the leased 773s will be leaving in the next 2 FYs; so the possibility of it going back to the lessor is small (Early terminations of leases do have slight penalties am I right?). I have a strong feeling that it's parked somewhere in SIN stripped of an interior while they figure out what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
            From what I understand, none of the leased 773s will be leaving in the next 2 FYs; so the possibility of it going back to the lessor is small (Early terminations of leases do have slight penalties am I right?). I have a strong feeling that it's parked somewhere in SIN stripped of an interior while they figure out what to do with it.
            That would not be evidence of great fleet planning.

In my opinion, the good fleet planning moves in the last decade were:
            - the initial WhaleJet order (not the second tranche),
            - the 777-300ER order,
            - taking A330-300s as compensation for the WhaleJet delays, and
            - the A350-900 order.

On the other hand:
            - the second WhaleJet tranche was excessively risky (and I wrote so at the time),
            - SQ should rather have exercised the 777-300ER options instead (and history shows I got that one right),
            - the 787-9 order was placed about three years late,
            - should have waited for the 777-200LR rather than ordered the A340-500, and
            - the A340-500s were fitted with far, far too many XY seats.

Comment

To add on, since none of the leases of the 777s are expiring in the next 2 FYs, any 777 withdrawal now will most likely be a sale/sub-lease to another carrier (I doubt anyone needs more capacity at the moment) or storage.

Unless we are privy to the details of the deal for the optional 13 77Ws, it's going to be hard to determine the various reasons why SQ didn't exercise them earlier. For all we know, they desperately want those 77Ws but the contractual terms are preventing them from getting a good deal.

Comment

Unless we are privy to the details of the deal for the optional 13 77Ws, it's going to be hard to determine the various reasons why SQ didn't exercise them earlier. For all we know, they desperately want those 77Ws but the contractual terms are preventing them from getting a good deal.
                It's clear that SQ desperately want 777-300ERs now (as well as A330-300s). However, that intense desire only arose in H2 2008, when demand collapsed. Until then, SQ were blissfully confident that they could fill WhaleJets with high-yield passengers on all the routes still being flown by JumboJets (except FRA-JFK). By the time SQ figured out they needed more 777-300ERs more urgently than they needed more WhaleJets (i.e. that they had exercised the wrong options) it may have been too late to do anything in time for current market conditions. SQ probably hoped that the economy would recover before they could take delivery of additional 777-300ERs. Perhaps that's the case. The decision a few years ago to exercise the WhaleJet options rather than the 777-300ER options was based on optimism about the future of the economy, which turns out to have been unfounded. I pointed out that risk at the time and stated that I thought it would be wiser to exercise some or all of the 777-300ER options because of that risk. Had SQ exercised the 777-300ER back then, they would have started entering service when SQ needed them and the JumboJets would have all been retired by now.

Comment

To add on, since none of the leases of the 777s are expiring in the next 2 FYs, any 777 withdrawal now will most likely be a sale/sub-lease to another carrier (I doubt anyone needs more capacity at the moment) or storage.
                  Wasn't there some news before that Biman would take two 777s from SQ? How's that deal going?

Comment

SQA/SQB/SRB have been listed for sale since Apr 09. So far no takers.

Comment

Looks like SRB is destined for Euro Atlantic Airways after being uprated back to -ER spec.

Comment

SQB is now operating as SQ800 to Beijing from gate B1.

Comment

9V-SYD spotted landing in SIN on 20C at 1719 today. Should have been operating SQ959 CGK-SIN.

Comment

Just an update, SRA & SRB are leaving the fleet for Biman (Through Euro Atlantic Airways). SRA will be the first to go after C checks.

Comment

Just an update, SRA & SRB are leaving the fleet for Biman (Through Euro Atlantic Airways). SRA will be the first to go after C checks.
                              9V-SRA is off to Bangladesh. All-white; I guess she gets the Biman reg and paint when she gets there................

Comment

SRA will be making its way to DAC next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X