Sat/Sun 23-24 Aug - New York ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat/Sun 23-24 Aug - New York ?

phaleesy and I will arrive in New York on Saturday 23 August (arriving 13:50 on AZ604 MXP-JFK) and would love to meet up with any SQTalkers if around.

I leave the next day, Sunday (18:40 on AZ605 JFK-MXP) and phaleesy will stay for another day or perhaps two days (leaving on the same AZ flight).

Edit:

Definite:

jhm
    phaleesy
    taipeiflyer+1
    florianwagner

Maybe:

HUGE AL
    Last edited by jhm; 20 August 2008, 06:03 PM.

Will put down in my datebook!

Comment

purrhaps I will be there as well! Still need to figure out a way to sneak a NY trip into my tightly fitted calendar in August ...

I would be either arriving from SIN or Australia (I think I might visit KeithMEL and some friends in SYD) on SQ or from FRA on SQ if no other special deal by SWISS or LH pops in.

Cheerio!
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
        purrhaps I will be there as well! Still need to figure out a way to sneak a NY trip into my tightly fitted calendar in August ...

I would be either arriving from SIN or Australia (I think I might visit KeithMEL and some friends in SYD) on SQ or from FRA on SQ if no other special deal by SWISS or LH pops in.

Cheerio!
        There is a very good value LH fare out of Australia that takes you round the world with LH, TG and UA. You might want to check if it's also available ex-Europe. Books into pretty low buckets but the conditions are very flexible.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          There is a very good value LH fare out of Australia that takes you round the world with LH, TG and UA. You might want to check if it's also available ex-Europe. Books into pretty low buckets but the conditions are very flexible.
          now that you said that ... i will definitely check that out thanksies!

Comment

Alas, I'll be going the other way, departing LAX on SQ 37 on Monday night, nonstop to SIN for arrival Wednesday morning. When will you guys be passing through SIN?

Since I'm leaving from ATL, won't be in NY that weekend.

Comment

OP updated.

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                Alas, I'll be going the other way, departing LAX on SQ 37 on Monday night, nonstop to SIN for arrival Wednesday morning. When will you guys be passing through SIN?

Since I'm leaving from ATL, won't be in NY that weekend.
                ATL - NYC is not that far. Or else, you want to save your energy for south east asia? And I heard that DL award is changeable?

Comment

i'm a definite... will be arriving VX F. Still figuring out the dates, as i am having a pretty big birthday bash before heading out that way. i will post my exact details once i finalize them, but i am definitely in. looking forward to meeting everyone.

Comment

i'm a 90% definite... still need to kinda plan my RTW though .... if i manage to book it correctly, i will definitely be there. any ideas on where you guys will be staying? dunno about locations that fit my budget (as i know that in the final days of my trips money is always extremely scarce ....).

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                      i'm a 90% definite... still need to kinda plan my RTW though .... if i manage to book it correctly, i will definitely be there. any ideas on where you guys will be staying?
                      phaleesy and I will be staying at one of the SPGs for the stay credit.

As far as cheap but reasonable accommodation is concerned, the received wisdom from mFT suggests the Hyatt in Jersey City:

http://pyeinthesky.suddenlaunch3.com...num=1202813356

Originally posted by Raffles
                      Best value hotel probably remains the Hyatt in Jersey City, overlooking the Hudson. Its directly above a station and 1 stop to World Trade Centre. 2-4 May you can get a room with 2 double beds for a laughable $279 per night - and thats for a 400 sq ft room which is pretty rare on Manhattan itself. Breakfast included and this is a cancellable rate. This is a Four Diamond hotel as well, plus you get Hyatt points or BA Miles. Also very convenient if you fly into Newark.

If you're really on a budget, there is a good quality Candlewood Suites about 10 mins walk from the Hyatt. Yup, New Jersey again, but usually laughably good value given the big rooms. $180 for a Queen Bed Suite (take a room each) or $209 for a queen bed and a sofa bed. Priority Club points too.
                      Originally posted by Krug
                      Deffo recommend Hyatt on the Hudson; great views and easy transfer to Manhattan without the hubbub of being on the rat-infested island.

http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

You can get even better deals at that property if you book through www.priceline.com in concert with www.biddingfortravel.com

http://p198.ezboard.com/New-York-Air...abiddingfrm266

Have been meaning to write a how to guide to this for a while, so will have a go at this at the weekend.

Going on previous bids, a rate of $75-$85 should secure your booking; at this rate you could have a room each.

It's handy for both the Statue of Liberty ferries from Liberty Park and also has a helipad outside for transfer to JFK and also tourist rides above the City. Train to World Trade \centre (a trip in itself) is RIGHT outside the front door.

Cannot recommend this hotel more highly, though it's easier oif you are coming in to EWR.
                      Originally posted by Teece
                      That sounds interesting krug - from looking at the sites you list, it seems there's no way to guarantee not getting the doubletree?
                      Originally posted by Krug
                      You are right there is no way to guarantee the Hyatt, but that is risk you take with booking trough priceline - ehnce the 40% off usual rates.

However, I have stayed here twice, both on priceline rates and you can pretty much tell if they are booked out on the dates you want by checking to see if rates on the Hyatt website are higher than usual the dates you want.

There is an art to using priceline, but I bid over ten nights with them last year and each time got exactly the hotel I wanted and saved around $800 overall.

It is particularly good for city breaks in europe and airport hotels where you just need something central for a few nights.

If the worst comes to the worst and you really cannot stomach the doubletree (which is not that bad, anyway) you can junk your stay there and book as normal elsewhere.

Comment

Just a gentle bump.

Any suggestions on what to do/eat on Saturday evening and/or Sunday ?

As far as food goes, I was thinking of steak (having read the review in ths morning's Metro of Maze Grill in London so perhaps Peter Luger or for better service, something like Wolfgang's which I tried before), Mexican (Rosa Mexicano as recommended by jjpb3 a while ago but fully booked when I last tried) and/or Sunday brunch (like this menu at Eleven Madison Park which I went to last time) but ... to be honest, I'm happy to eat/do whatever others prefer/recommend.

Edit: I hope jjpb3 won't mind if I quote part of his post linked to above from early 2006:

Originally posted by jjpb3
                        Where to eat: IMO, NYC is far better than London when it comes to very good food at very reasonable prices, so just experiment and enjoy. . My recommendation is to go for the Latin American or Southwest or Nouvelle American cuisine, since these aren't as well-represented in London. Rosa Mexicana has one of its branches (IIRC, the other is in the Upper East Side) near the Lincoln Center. It's the best interpretation of Mexican food -- they make the guacamole fresh at your table in front of you -- for miles; reservations recommended. And don't miss the Sunday brunch, which is done so well in NY and quite dismally in London.

Comment

I don't mind, jhm.

I also wanted to provide y'all an update. There's a newer Mexican fusion restaurant that I went to on my last visit and that I highly recommend for its cocktails and the execution of its dishes: Crema.

Have fun.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Sorry jhm....I have been looking at redemption flights to be there with you guys. Can't seem to make it.

Comment

I'm a definitive! All booked up!

Incoming: AUG 20 on UA22 from LAX
                              Departing: AUG 25 on SQ25 to FRA

Comment

Working...
                              X