• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyable as always. Thanks!

Wish SQ had a better flight map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
      If I am not wrong, SQ and LH uses the same Premium Economy basic seat model, with SQ adding more bells and whistles to the seat. So I guess comfort wise, both could be rather similar.
      The frames look superficially similar, but apart from that, lots of differences. Everything from seat cushioning, IFE, reading lamp, seat pocket, footrest etc, are all dissimilar. Amazing how customizable these seats are to each airline's requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
        Thanks for the TR

How much are they selling this for? compared to Y, what is the premium?
        Thanks, SQueeze!

I didn't actually do a price comparison, but it seems that there are many promotional PE fares which are priced below the more flexible Y fares (That is probably the only reason the corporate booking engine that I use shows these fares. If there was a cheaper Y fare, the PE fare would never be given to me as an option.)

You can upgrade at check-in, or even onboard the flight if there are available seats, for a fixed fee (Out of SIN, at the counter you pay S$350 to upgrade from Y to PE, regardless of how much your Y ticket costs.)

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
          yflyer, your very informative trip reports are what keeps me coming back to SQTalk. Really enjoyed those food and restaurant reviews as well, these reports are in my must read list whenever I am traveling to cities that you had gone to.

Do PE passengers on LH get free access to the Star Alliance lounges?
          Thanks very much, icn.sg! Glad to know you enjoy reading them!

I believe PE passengers can access the LH Business lounges, but not the Senator, and not Star Alliance lounges. At least that is what the FAQ here says.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
            yflyer, thanks for the once again detailed and comprehensive TR. A very good benchmark for some of us who will be flying SQ's PEY.

Has anyone SQTalker here undertaken a SQ PEY be able to compare with LH's PEY?
            Thanks, jammed!

I am keen to try SQ PEY too...agree a comparison will be a very interesting read!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Thanks yflyer for sharing. It does seem like a pretty decent PY product.

When the front seat pax is in full recline, how much space do you have remaining?
              Thanks, 9V-JKL! The seat pitch is such that you can probably still use a laptop if the person in front reclines, but there probablyisn't enough space for the middle pax to squeeze past you to get to the aisle if you are in the aisle seat. About the same for the other PEY products I have tried, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Enjoyable as always. Thanks!

Wish SQ had a better flight map
                Thanks, 9V-SIA!

Agree SQ's flight map is a little dated compared to what you get on the new BA or QR products. EK's is quite good too.

That said, the LH one is by far the least useful flight map I have seen. It cycles through too many different views, most of which do not show basic flight stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
                  I second that - Would be a first for all, if anyone has done the SQ PEY trip yet.
                  I've actually lost track of where the PEY product flies to, and when they start...does anyone have a pointer to a summary?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    Thanks very much, icn.sg! Glad to know you enjoy reading them!

I believe PE passengers can access the LH Business lounges, but not the Senator, and not Star Alliance lounges. At least that is what the FAQ here says.
                    Thanks yflyer. So no lounge excess ex-SIN?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      Thanks, SQueeze!

I didn't actually do a price comparison, but it seems that there are many promotional PE fares which are priced below the more flexible Y fares (That is probably the only reason the corporate booking engine that I use shows these fares. If there was a cheaper Y fare, the PE fare would never be given to me as an option.)

You can upgrade at check-in, or even onboard the flight if there are available seats, for a fixed fee (Out of SIN, at the counter you pay S$350 to upgrade from Y to PE, regardless of how much your Y ticket costs.)
                      No way - when you are using SQ?? you can pay for an upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
                        No way - when you are using SQ?? you can pay for an upgrade?
                        Hi Hajimbo, I was referring to the LH PEY. On LH you can pay for an upgrade from Y to PEY. There is even an online upgrade bidding option on their website. And if there are empty seats onboard, they will make announcement at the start of the flight to the effect that if you pay, you can move to PEY right away.

Not aware if this is available on SQ...

Comment

Continuing with the TR…

Deplaning was quick as the PE cabin was in the front of the main deck, and today, just before 6am local time, the queues at security and inbound immigration were very light. I was in the airside departure of FRA Terminal A in no time.

I headed straight for one of the many LH Lounges dotting the terminal. There are at least 3 different types of lounge for LH pax, and that’s not including the dedicated F Lounge that regulars like Kyo luxuriate in…

In the A terminal, in order of ascending exclusivity, you had the LH Business Lounges, which non FF business class passenger could use. Then you had the LH Senator lounges, for F passengers and Lufthansa Senator and Star Gold passengers. And finally at the top tier, the LH First Lounge, arguably the “real” F Lounge (Like the BA LHR Concorde Room), which is only for F passengers, and which Business Class or Star Gold passengers are not eligible to enter.

I headed to the Senator Lounge.

This is fairly large lounge, with comfortable seating, dining and work zones.

Styling is modern, with elegant lines, and parts of the lounge have tarmac views.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The dining area offered a good selection of breakfast options, mainly bread and cereal, fruit, cheese, cold cuts, and a few hot selections.

A very user-friendly coffee machine.

Some of the breakfast options…

Nice selection of different bakery items.

Cold cuts…

Scrambled eggs…

The full bar was also available.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Unlike the last time I connected to Munich, there was no drama with flight cancellations or racing to the gate.

I took a leisurely stroll across to where my A321 to Munich was parked and boarded on schedule.

Is this one of those Porsche’s that LH uses to whisk F passengers from their dedicated lounge to the plane?

The plane was configured 3-3 with Lufthansa’s supermodel-skinny seats. Not the last word in padding, but the legroom was very generous.

I did the iPad test and LH passed with flying colours. Ample room.

Compare this with a recent experience on LCC Vueling, which was the worst case scenario as far as seat pitch was concerned.

No pics of the J cabin necessary. This was the European standard “I can’t believe this is Business Class” hard product, with the same 3-3 seats as Economy but with the middle seat left empty, although this being Seventh Month, who knew for sure…

For Y pax, the sumptuous meal served onboard this 35 minute flight was a nougat bar, handed to you as you boarded.

We taxied to runway 18 at the western end of FRA for a quick take-off to the south, bound for Munich.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Some spectacular views of the farmland and countryside enroute to Munich Airport.

In the Mercedes taxi (A vast majority of taxi’s in Munich here are Mercedes…more on this point later.) from the airport to the hotel, I snapped this picture of the aviation museum, located quite close to the airport.

There is a reconstructed Junkers Ju 52, which gave us the iconic corrugated metal look that Lufthansa and Rimowa have used as a design theme, as well as a very sleek looking Lockheed Constellation, as well as a Douglas DC-3 in Swiss markings. I really need to make a side trip to visit this museum on a future trip.

My hotel in Munich this time round was the Marriott Munich, situated close to the English Garden, and just a short taxi ride from the Munich city center and the central square, Marienplatz.

This is a comfortable low-rise hotel popular with business travellers, although I would not mind staying here on vacation either.

My room was large and new, with comfortable (rather than cutting edge) décor, and large windows that could be opened (Germans love natural ventilation: Even my office windows could be opened to let in the super crisp and fresh Munich air).

On the day I arrived, they were just swapping out older LCD flatscreens on all the rooms on my floor with these stunning Sony 50 inch LCD panels.

Bathrooms were elegant, with combined shower and bath tub.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X