Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ PPS no longer allowed into Virgin's JFK lounge (even if flying business)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ PPS no longer allowed into Virgin's JFK lounge (even if flying business)?

Am writing this at the Virgin lounge at JFK. Am a PPS (QPP4), flying paid business class on SQ 26 to SIN. Upon check-in was given a pass to the "Oasis" lounge. When I asked why not the Virgin lounge, they said it was now limited to First Class and Solitaire only, but then gave me a pass as an "exception".

The Virgin lounge dragons wee not happy to see me. They pointedly told me my name was not on their "list", and had to go back and call the SQ check-in desk to confirm they really told me it was okay to use the lounge. Really did dilute the experience for me

The gradual reduction of PPS benefits is really starting to irritate me now... the SQ website still lists access to various VS lounges (incl JFK) as a PPS benefit (seemingly regardless of class of travel). So what's really going on here, why can't SQ just be upfront with us with all the changes / reduction in benefits?

I am glad that you got the exception.

Seems like SQ is treating PPS more like regular *G. We need to wait for the next down turn in business travel in order for this kind of attitude to change.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Sankaps. This isn't encouraging news, if this is now the policy.

Just about the only thing that was making me have twinges of regret about abandoning KrisFlyer was access to the (LHR) VS Lounge.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Thanks for the heads up, Sankaps. This isn't encouraging news, if this is now the policy.

Just about the only thing that was making me have twinges of regret about abandoning KrisFlyer was access to the (LHR) VS Lounge.
        jjpb3, noted that you are abandoning Krisflyer. Which program are you now concentrating on and how do you compare it to SQ? I have no prior experiences with VS Lounge....seems that it is an attractive lounge to go to (provided you are within the right category)

Comment

Wait... Wasn't JFK one of the ones that was the exceptions to VS CH access that you could only go in as F pax or TPP for a while now? I don't think this is anything new...

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
            Wait... Wasn't JFK one of the ones that was the exceptions to VS CH access that you could only go in as F pax or TPP for a while now? I don't think this is anything new...
            I've been in as a QPP in J.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              Was not an exception last year -- went to it several times as a PPS flying on SQ business class. Check-in staff says they recently began to make it more restrictive (though web-site does not indicate the change).

Sorry for the cross-posting -- did not realize I had posted it in this forum -- was wondering why it was not showing up in the All Things SQ forum.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                jjpb3, noted that you are abandoning Krisflyer. Which program are you now concentrating on and how do you compare it to SQ? I have no prior experiences with VS Lounge....seems that it is an attractive lounge to go to (provided you are within the right category)
                LionCity: I've been concentrating on BD. Much better earning (I can get minimum miles, and 25% bonus on all *A flights), much better redemptions because of the cash+miles option, and lower *G renewal threshold.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

This is just a wild guess, and not written form a position of knowledge.
                  Given that Virgin have opened up the SFO Clubhouse to Virgin America pax - originally only those in F, but now I understand the facility is open to all EleVAte members on a pay per entry basis. Details here.

This has obviously diluted the service for VS J and Gold card pax and others who use the lounge on the basis of high tier airline membership.

Maybe Virgin intend to extend the number of Clubhouses that VX pax can use, and are looking to reduce the number of users from other airlines?

As I say, this is pure speculation on my part.

Nick
                  V-Flyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
                    This is just a wild guess, and not written form a position of knowledge.
                    Given that Virgin have opened up the SFO Clubhouse to Virgin America pax - originally only those in F, but now I understand the facility is open to all EleVAte members on a pay per entry basis. Details here.

This has obviously diluted the service for VS J and Gold card pax and others who use the lounge on the basis of high tier airline membership.

Maybe Virgin intend to extend the number of Clubhouses that VX pax can use, and are looking to reduce the number of users from other airlines?

As I say, this is pure speculation on my part.

Nick
                    V-Flyer.com
                    Interesting thought, but given that SQ owns more of Virgin Atlantic (49%) than Virgin Atlantic owns of Virgin America (25% indirectly via Branson), one would hope that at least SQ manages to maintain access to VS lounges for its passengers, even if other airlines are booted out to accomodate VA pax.

Comment

I have also used the VS CH at JFK while flying SQ in C as PPS (before I graduated to Solitaire).

Comment

Oh no! I hope this does not affect me when I fly Virgin Economy from Heathrow in May. I am currently only KF Gold and was really looking forward to using the clubhouse for the first time. For some reason, I never ventured there when I was QPP.
                        Last edited by LHR; 29 April 2008, 08:31 PM.

Comment

LHR: I had the same concern as you when I was flying out of LHR in April, but I had no issues getting in.

I was flying SQ on business class as a KF*G

Comment

Interesting response from SQ Customer Service...

Just received an interesting response from SQ Customer Service. Almost sounds like they are not sure of the rules themselves or have no idea what the JFK station manager is upto! Strange either way...

30 April 2008

xxxxxxxxx/CR/ST

Dear Mr Sankaps

Thank you for submitting your feedback via our website.

Upon receipt of your correspondence, we have initiated an investigation with
                            our New York Station Manager. Please rest assured that we will correspond with you as soon as we complete the investigations.

In the meantime, we seek your forbearance, Mr Sankaps.

Yours sincerely

xxxx
                            Manager Customer Services

Comment

Originally posted by Sankaps View Post
                              Interesting thought, but given that SQ owns more of Virgin Atlantic (49%) than Virgin Atlantic owns of Virgin America (25% indirectly via Branson), one would hope that at least SQ manages to maintain access to VS lounges for its passengers, even if other airlines are booted out to accomodate VA pax.
                              SQ got rid of its share of VS, didn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X