No announcement yet.

Free limited wifi onboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flew MEL-SIN on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised: WiFi was up 10 minutes after departure and available until 10 minutes into arrival. Login using the complimentary access with your seat number and last name is a clever idea.

Usage: 100MB is more than enough for a business traveler checking e-mails and sending WhatsApp messages.

SQ has gotten this one all right. Looking forward of seeing more initiatives of the same quality!

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      Flew MEL-SIN on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised: WiFi was up 10 minutes after departure and available until 10 minutes into arrival. Login using the complimentary access with your seat number and last name is a clever idea.

Usage: 100MB is more than enough for a business traveler checking e-mails and sending WhatsApp messages.

SQ has gotten this one all right. Looking forward of seeing more initiatives of the same quality!
      I'm looking forward to trying it out !

Comment

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
        Not just those, it's in every SQ jet fitted with WiFi.
        I was on SQ865 on 24 Feb 2018 from HKG to SIN on 777-300ER. There was Wifi Service offered on this flight. However, I checked with the crew and was told that complimentary service is not offered on this flight. I switched on the Wifi and was able to link up to the KrisWorld system.

I received a SMS to respond to, should I wish to enjoy Wifi Service and charges applied. I did not provide. I guess it is still not all on flights that offered Wifi. I was on A380 and was able to get to login page to input the seat number and last name to get the complimentary Wifi. I wish that they will make this service available on all flights.

Comment

Used it MEL to SIN recently

Pages would time out
          Too slow

Defiantly Wouldnt pfor it

Comment

Nice gesture on SQ's part and 30MB was sufficient for me to clear emails on my mobile. Whilst this is a good push on the hardware side, I would like to see continued improvements and consistency from the crew.

Comment

I am really curious if the SITAONAIR system costs less to the airline in terms of infrastructure and use than the Panasonic one. Panasonic wifi is hands down better in every almost every aspect for the user. Even SWQ with the new dome still retains the SITAONAIR system.

Itchy hand on my part decided to click price plans on my phone while trying to log in to the free wifi on a SITAONAIR system, just to check out the pricing once more, and wasn't able to go back to the free wifi login page anymore for the rest of the flight. Must be a bug, but don't do that guys!

And SITAONAIR is not available over the whole of India...which means a good 3 hours without wifi on all Europe bound flights. Panasonic on the other hand, I've always been able to use it from 10,000 feet to 10,000 feet without a hitch at really commendable speeds.

On a side note, flew on SMR recently, it seems that the Panasonic-fitted aircraft are shifting away from time based charging to data based plans too.
              Last edited by wdranne; 4 March 2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Was on the old A380 from SYD to SIN yesterday and I was able to switch devices using the complimentary data. No issues with going from my phone to my iPad and vice versa.

Comment

Just stepped off SQ326 (9V-SWV),the 30MB complimentary wifi is gone in less than 10 mins should you forget to close your running programs. Neverless it’s a very goodwill gesture!

Comment

Originally posted by wdranne View Post

On a side note, flew on SMR recently, it seems that the Panasonic-fitted aircraft are shifting away from time based charging to data based plans too.
                    Are you serious about Panasonic Wifi shifting away from time-based to data/volume based? I thought Swiss, which actually has the same provider (Panasonic) is the only other airline that charges based on data/volume rather than other airlines that charge by time. What about Tonitan, has it taken effect with even the 77WR (SWV, that has Panasonic)?

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                      Are you serious about Panasonic Wifi shifting away from time-based to data/volume based? I thought Swiss, which actually has the same provider (Panasonic) is the only other airline that charges based on data/volume rather than other airlines that charge by time. What about Tonitan, has it taken effect with even the 77WR (SWV, that has Panasonic)?
                      Nope I'm kidding.

Comment

Is ‘entire flight’ internet purchase (not usage based) no longer available since they introduced the free limited wi-fi service for premium passengers?
                        I recall newer 77Ws and 359s used to have that.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                          Is ‘entire flight’ internet purchase (not usage based) no longer available since they introduced the free limited wi-fi service for premium passengers?
                          I recall newer 77Ws and 359s used to have that.
                          You remember correctly. At some point SQ removed the 24-hour option, which essentially covered the entire flight. Aaron Wong blogged about it here: https://milelion.com/2018/08/30/your...ctivity-guide/

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation cowie.

Comment

Honestly I would rather pay for the flight pass than having the free limited usage internet onboard. Cathay Pacific charges USD19.99 for a whole flight and the speed is quite good.

Comment

Data based plans are supposedly more "fair", but with everyday use, smart phones now take wifi to mean unlimited internet while cell data can be easier limited. With default settings to update or sync over wifi (and only over cell data if you choose to).

For example, I set my phone to update the apps over wifi at night, so if I take a night flight with wifi, it automatically does that the moment the wifi internet connects, and there goes my free/paid allowances. Also, after 1 hour+ of no syncing (taxi + take off until cruising altitude), the syncing once data is back should take quite some data too.

For me, I would take the entire flight internet with "unlimited" usage, but would probably pass on the usage-based internet as there is too many settings to do/undo in order to conserve that limited data.

Comment

Working...
                                X