KF Gold early renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Despite it's crappy redemptions, I'm finally pulling the trigger after my KFEG membership year lapses and switching to OZ.
    Congratulations! The thing to do would be doing some crazy flights to build the 40k quickly on OZ program while you're still EG so that you're treated at least a little better than dirt for those first 40k miles

40k over two years is just so much easier than 50k every year, and really takes the pressure off if you find yourself not flying Star as much for whatever reason (especially since *G is the highest alliance-wide status). If you're doing the 50k per year anyway, it will get you D+ on OZ with some additional benefits.
    stargold: You also didn't mention that OZ has lifetime *G... which based on some of our flying patterns, could be reached within 2-3 years. Probably 5 years for me...
    That's also true. And their treatment of lifetime D+ (500k flown miles) is very nice indeed when flying OZ. It must be nice not to have to worry about status as well.

Most likely will never happen for me, at least for as long as I can continue to bulk buy credit card points
    Originally posted by scooby5
    The OZ program is pretty impressive, but their website is second only to SQ for crappiness. How easy, also is making redemptions?
    They've made some changes to the Korean site which might have made it less crap, but generally I agree. Thankfully, the standard of service at the Korean call centres are extremely high, although I'm not sure whether the same standard applies to the English line.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
      They were crafty enough to limit their offer to SQ and MI flights though, and not *A in general. Again they maybe see my more recent history on TG.
      Funny that, because one would think if they paid any attention to my recent history on TG with KF*G printed on it, my inbox would've been flooded with this offer by now.

But no.

Originally posted by stargold View Post
      Congratulations! The thing to do would be doing some crazy flights to build the 40k quickly on OZ program while you're still EG so that you're treated at least a little better than dirt for those first 40k miles
      Worry not, A3's got my back ever since BD bit the dust... til 2015!

Thankfully, the standard of service at the Korean call centres are extremely high, although I'm not sure whether the same standard applies to the English line.
      Perhaps a test is in order? Start talking in English and somewhere along the line, switch to Korean. Will be most interesting to see!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
        Just curious, what is the motivation for KF status other than redeeming on SQ?

For example, if you join OZ today and fly 40k within X months, your status will last 4 years minus X months (e.g. 3 months to fly 40k = status for 45 months). This is even before we consider the A3*G which seemingly lasts forever after flying 19k.

Given that KF*G has so little over any other *G (and indeed no distinguishable difference at all at the airport), is everyone aiming for KF EG because of redemption?
        Its like being in a job or relationship that's stuck in a rut. Sheer inertia after 10 years or so.

Also, I'm not keen on programmes in which I don't speak/understand the national language if I do need help (and the CA, MS and SN programmes aren't worth the hassle either).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
          Also, I'm not keen on programmes in which I don't speak/understand the national language if I do need help (and the CA, MS and SN programmes aren't worth the hassle either).
          IMO it's the standard of English of the staff that matters. I'm not exactly fluent in Malay, but I've never encountered a language barrier when dealing with the MH Enrich staff in English. Likewise with LH, A3 and TG.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I've been alerted to the fact that DBS's Altitude card here allows transferring of miles into OZ, which is a bit of a pain to be honest as I've changed credit card strategies over the last couple of years to focus on accruing with SQ after the demise of BD.

Despite it's crappy redemptions, I'm finally pulling the trigger after my KFEG membership year lapses and switching to OZ.

stargold: You also didn't mention that OZ has lifetime *G... which based on some of our flying patterns, could be reached within 2-3 years. Probably 5 years for me...

scooby5: How'd you get that targeted offer??!! Awesome...
            Can you share how you can transfer to OZ? I can't seem to find OZ in DBS's website.
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but to answer my own question, it seems that SQ, for 2014 at least anyway, is giving early renewals. I had reached/exceeded 50k miles in Feb and SQ has just restarted my new membership year a month in advance.

Coupled with the fact that my GF's membership year was also recently reset a month in advance, it seems that this is a policy shift.

Comment

what is OZ?

Comment

Originally posted by slepland View Post
                  what is OZ?
                  Asiana

Comment

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but to answer my own question, it seems that SQ, for 2014 at least anyway, is giving early renewals. I had reached/exceeded 50k miles in Feb and SQ has just restarted my new membership year a month in advance.

Coupled with the fact that my GF's membership year was also recently reset a month in advance, it seems that this is a policy shift.
                    Well, they demoted me to KF*S from KF*G - probably because I purposely did *just* enough to squeak by

Comment

My membership year ends in August, but I recently hit 50k. Does this mean they'll be renewing my status at the end of July?

Also, doesn't this also mean they're effectively taking away a month of Gold status from you by renewing you early?

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                        My membership year ends in August, but I recently hit 50k. Does this mean they'll be renewing my status at the end of July?

Also, doesn't this also mean they're effectively taking away a month of Gold status from you by renewing you early?
                        No they shouldn't. You will renew in August.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                          No they shouldn't. You will renew in August.
                          I know they shouldn't, but Danny Bhoy's post above seems to suggest otherwise...

Comment

It's the end of July, and I just received an email renewing my Gold status, so Danny Bhoy's experience of being renewed early is probably not unique.

On the plus side, my fear of having a month of status taken away by early renewal turns out to have been unwarranted.

Thankfully, this also means that the miles I credit this August count towards renewal.

Comment

Working...
                            X