Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisbon: Where to stay?

Guys...
    Will have 1 night stop over in Lisbon soon...
    Never been to this city before, and knew nothing about anything nice there...
    Any suggestion for the best location hotel there?
    Thanks guys...

Try TripAdvisor?

Comment

Guys from SQTalk are the ultimate first hand advisers...

Can't compare to "the little bit mind confusing" TripAdvisor...

Comment

Lisbon is an excellent choice! I went two years ago (staying in IIRC a Holiday Inn) and really liked the place. It's more laid back and feels safer than Madrid (which I'm not particularly fond of). Good seafood and inexpensive as well. Portugese custard tarts (from Belém) of course!

Actually, I liked it so much that I'm going again next weekend (staying at the Sheraton).

I'm not sure about the answer to your question about the "best location" though. From some posts on this a few months ago on mFT:

I have generally stayed at the Ritz (4 Seasons), Lapa palace (possibly better in summer) and Sheraton (convenient for work at the time and not bad). Others can probably give better recommendations.
        We usually stay at the Avenida Palace - the location is hard to beat. Think five star hotel which is a bit 1950s and frayed around the edges. Breakfast is served in a beautiful salon.
        We were down that way in Autumn and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Penha Longha resort outside Sintra. If you play golf it may be worth a night or two there, but if not then it is a bit pointless (assuming you are on your own) as there is nothing walkable from the resort - although it is only a Euro 10-15 taxi ride into Sintra, Cascais or Estoril. If with your partner then you might consider it for the spa etc.
        Other info about sights and restaurants are in the thread (registration required):

http://pyeinthesky.suddenlaunch3.com...num=1290975858
        Last edited by jhm; 26 January 2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Lisbon is an excellent choice! I went two years ago (staying in IIRC a Holiday Inn) and really liked the place. It's more laid back and feels safer than Madrid (which I'm not particularly fond of). Good seafood and inexpensive as well. Portugese custard tarts (from Belem) of course!

Actually, I liked it so much that I'm going again next weekend (staying at the Sheraton).

I'm not sure about the answer to your question about the "best location" though. From some posts on this a few months ago on mFT:

Other info about sights and restaurants are in the thread (registration required):

http://pyeinthesky.suddenlaunch3.com...num=1290975858

Thanks jhm.....
          Now my choice down to Sheraton and Sofitel....
          Please give me feed back about Sheraton after your visit, would you??

Nothing can beat guys from SQTalk for insight first hand advisers...

Thanks a lot mate...

Comment

I would second the Avenida Palace.
            The location is the BEST and can't be beat. And if you have only a night in LIS then this is the place. You can cover most places on foot, Chiado is just a walk away as is Alafama. and you have a great feel for the city. And late at night cabs will be cheap. An airport shuttle will drop you steps away from the hotel, and the breakfast buffet is decent. You literally sit on top of the Metro. And while you are at it enjoy some great Portugese wine, which are really underrated. So while there are more luxurious options in the city, if you want most efficient use of your limited time in LIS, then Location, Location and Location!!

Comment

I've always stayed in the Sheraton and quite like the place. The location isn't in the thick of it so to speak but it's not a massive city and the walk downhill from there is easily doable.

I agree with jhm, it's a fantastic city.

Comment

Working...
              X