Shanghai Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanghai Hotels

Business trip to shanghai for 3 days, which hotel is the best?

1/ Intercontinental Puxi
    2/ Langham Yantze Boutique
    3/ Swissotel Grand Shanghai
    4/ Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

No worries about transport coz there's company car, please do suggest some decent local restaurants nearby.

Thanks
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 14 August 2010, 05:29 PM.

A relevant question also is whether you have any status with any hotel programme, i.e. IC and/or SPG ?

Comment

I assume your intentions are to choose one of the four properties indicated above; if not, I stayed at the J.W. Marriott Shanghai [Tomorrow Square] last year (Jan '09) and some shots and descriptions I believe can be found here (see post #15).
      Last edited by N_Architect; 24 February 2010, 09:50 PM. Reason: Added post no. note in the link provided.

Comment

Thanks guys
        I hv Hilton & Hyatt membership only, but my company provides these as choices. They made the decision for me, which is the Intercontinental

Comment

Rather than start a new thread...(nod to Huge Al)...
          has anyone stayed at Le Royal Meridien?

Any feedback appreciated.

TIA!
          F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
            Rather than start a new thread...(nod to Huge Al)...

Any feedback appreciated.

TIA!
            I recently researched the hotel extensively and have heard quite a few good things about it. More consistent than the Hyatt on the Bund. TOF has some nice perspective on it.

Thanks for the nod.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
              I did a few years ago (2006 ?). I wasn't a SPG platinum then. The hotel then was very new (always a good thing in China I think) - nothing springs to mind as being particularly memorable (good or bad) except that the elevators are a pain (you have to take one and then transfer to another). The location is good if being on the Puxi side is okay.

Comment

Have two (maybe three) nights in Shanghai coming up...

Please advise which Hilton or SPG property to go for? First-timer to PVG and heard that Pudong's the side to stay on

(Royal Meridien seems to cost more than the St Regis? Am I reading right?)
                Last edited by Kyo; 13 August 2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Have two (maybe three) nights in Shanghai coming up...

Please advise which Hilton or SPG property to go for? First-timer to PVG and heard that Pudong's the side to stay on

(Royal Meridien seems to cost more than the St Regis? Am I reading right?)
                  If you want to stay in Pudong, then the last time I looked there are no SPGs in Pudong. The best hotel there is (or was ?) the Shangri-La (I remember a jaw dropping suite with a fabulous view which I paid a discounted price to upgrade to).

For a tourist, I think staying in Pudong is silly - there's nothing to see/do there.

LRM used to be (or is) cheap so I don't know why it's so expensive for you now.

Comment

The base price at the LRM costs 90 Yuan less than the SR (I'm there from 10-12th of August). I was told to avoid Puxi and stay near the Bund.

The LRM advertises itself being near the Bund, which I'm bound to visit. Of course, I would also check out the Pearl Tower as a tourist, so I thought that would be fun. Since you're saying Pudong is a (comparitively) worse choice, where exactly would you suggest, jhm?

Any comments about any of the SPG or Hilton properties there?

Comment

I was told to avoid Puxi and stay near the Bund.

The LRM advertises itself being near the Bund, which I'm bound to visit. Of course, I would also check out the Pearl Tower as a tourist, so I thought that would be fun. Since you're saying Pudong is a (comparitively) worse choice, where exactly would you suggest, jhm?
                      The Bund is in Puxi!

Puxi = west (xi) of the Huangpu river
                      Pudong = east (dong) of the Huangpu river

Unless it's changed since I was last there a couple of years ago, Pudong is only good if you have business there. Otherwise, everything you want to see as a tourist is on the other side (i.e. Puxi). I would stay in Puxi to avoid the hassle of criss crossing the river everyday.

Comment

Just to check I'm not talking rubbish...

A quick Google - from 2008 so unless it's changed:

http://www.chinatravel.net/forum/Sha...-Puxi/248.html

Is this an April Fool's prank? There's no comparison--Puxi is where it's at. Pudong is strictly business (well, ok, there are a few nightspots and cultural venues that have opened, but it's still no competition).
                        Pudong is a ghost city at night.....
                        I would go with Puxi also. Pudong is predominantly a business district and a bit sterile feeling. The attractions in Pudong can be seen in one afternoon

Comment

Thanks jhm, yet again, I can't find a suggested place to stay in those last two posts. The lesson in Shanghai geography, however, is definitely appreciated

I've spent the last hour poring over the LRM and SR websites including researching any articles I've found and they all seem to lack much of a mention of the top suites (all the photos are the official SPG ones).

The 'mood' I'm having at the moment is swinging towards the St Regis. Interestingly, the LRM is a Cat 5 property but the SR is Cat 4 only. Yet most articles reference the SR over the LRM...

If anyone has stayed at either, please do chime in. If anyone's stayed with the Hilton, please also feel free...

Comment

The HUGE one may be along shortly but...

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=53

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=54

Comment

I can't find a suggested place to stay in those last two posts.
                              Isn't telling you (again) to stay in Puxi (not Pudong) enough ?

In Shanghai, I've only stayed at the S-L in Pudong and the LRM in Puxi. The former is a far nicer hotel but the location...

Comment

Working...
                              X