Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing faith..

Hi all
    Newbie here. Ive been living in singapore for 2 years now and am a elite gold member as I fly a fair bit but always economy (cheap a55 company!).
    While the extra baggage, lounge access and check in is great I cant help but think there are other carriers who offer more to their top tear members. You seemingly cant get cheap upgrade awards any more which is down to their upgrade miles promotion earlier in the year I think which really is putting me off staying a star alliance miles chaser.

The main reason is that I fly to the UK the most and the lounge in Heathrow really is naff and the gold lounge in changi is nothing special.

Trouble is I am on the cusp of renewing my gold status again with 2 trips to the UK to reach 50k but I am seriously thinking of biting the bullet, changing carriers and putting those 24k miles to an airline where there is a chance of an upgrade at least. SQ flights are nice but the emirates etc of this world are not bad and alot cheaper.

If you are flying Y a lot to LHR, then I would have thought the prospect of non-stop flights on a new SQ A380 far outstrips that of 3-4-3 seating on EK 777s and transiting in DXB...

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

True enough, its just I've known a lot people getting upgraded or cheap upgrades on Emirates and carriers from that part of the world where SQ don't as a rule.
      The a380 Y class is very good but at the end of the day if I can pay a bit more to fly business on another carrier as opposed to rather expensive upgrade costs of SQ then its making me think.

Saying that I probably will stay with SQ though other wise its a waste and it is good service, you never know maybe the god of upgrades will one day shine favourably on me..

BTW glad I stumbled upon this site lots of useful information for a frequent flyer.

Cheers

Comment

I know CX is good on upgrades to its diamond members. I know a diamond member who got upgraded to F from Y when he flies CX on his birthday. I would go to CX anytime rather than EK.

Comment

Surprisingly i think BA have a pretty good upgrade policy. My parents, neither of whom are elite members with BA, basic membership yes, were upgraded on basically their first paid long haul flight here for a SG visit with the carrier from Econ+ to Business.

They had previously only flown BA long haul to Hong Kong where i lived before because KLM cancelled a flight and KLM/BA were extremely helpful in getting them getting them rerouted through Heathrow instead on Amsterdam.

From here, though, BA are not that cheap.......and certainly not as cheap as Thai or a couple of the carriers from the Middle East (I've noticed Emirates are not that cheap as well more often than not).

Yes, CX often give upgrades...... I think half my flights were OpUp when i was Silver & Gold with them, but flying through Hong Kong to get to London is well, a stretch. I used to do that when i lived in KL but it's not something i want to do in Y. The CX Y package is pretty poor and especially to London on their aging 747s.

Comment

225, A Warm Welcome to SQTalk. I don't have any specific recommendations. On EK, do bear in mind there is a stop over in Dubai and not a great stopover according to some folks. Not sure how many flights they have a day but previously, they have a very early morning departure, which was not my cup of tea.

On SQ, upgrades opportunities are limited. I am not a big fan of TG due to their aircraft changes and my previous experiences were not good service wise but it does come with wonderful J Class fares.

On the overall, I think there is no perfect choice and will depend on what you looked for.

Comment

I've heard of somone who was TG*G getting upgraded into J along with their travel companion although both paid Y fares.

This was only short-haul, however... but this would almost never happen on SQ. You can also fly TG to LHR via BKK, which is not too much of a detour, actually. At the moment they're offering a 2-for-1 redemption also. Any redemption for yourself = a free ticket for a companion to follow along, which is very decent.

Comment

Working...
              X