Music tracks that remind you of SQ trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music tracks that remind you of SQ trips

Okay, this might sound like an odd thread topic (probably attributed to too much wine and feeling jealous from reading some of the great trip reports here on SQTalk whilst listening to music), but there are a few tracks that always remind me of special trips on SQ. These were all tracks that were available on KrisWorld at the time, and I was wondering if other SQTalkers have similar memory-joggers?:

- The BeeGees, Message (Gotta get a message to you) - mrs nickbot and I *love* the BeeGees,...this track reminds me of a particularly bad turbulence experience somewhere over India on my first SQ MAN-SIN trip,...listening to this song, which holds very special meaning to us, helped chill me out whilst lightning was flashing all around and I was feeling rather uneasy

- Chemical Brothers, Galvanise - Our first time in Raffles (LHR-SIN-SYD), on our honeymoon in May 2005, this is now always referred to as "nickbot's Raffles Song" and is probably my definitive, iconic SQ memory song!

- Nelly Furtado, Say it right - Brings back memories of our most recent Australia trip, during which we were so fortunate to meet CGK and Upright Man, and indeed to fly with both of them on our wonderful SQ321 trip as detailed in my trip report

Not on KrisWorld, but finally:

- Pet Shop Boys, Suburbia - A favourite of mine on my iPod, first track I tried on Upright Man's Sennheisers,...now listening to it at home on my own pair

- Midnight Oil, Warakurna - I've been a fan of Midnight Oil for many, many years, and have been fortunate to see them live around half a dozen times,...unfortunately they've now split up This song has a wonderful line, referring to the glorious sunburnt nation that is Australia:

"Some people leave, always return"

Sad as it may sound, I like to have that playing on my iPod when touching down in Australia Most recent touchdown in BNE was no exception

There's probably many more, but those are the first that come to mind! Would love to hear anyone else's "SQ tracks"!
    Last edited by nickbot; 23 June 2007, 04:36 AM.

Strange, I was just thinking of starting a thread about everyone's favorite music.

I don't have any tracks specific to SQ, but when travelling I ONLY listen
    to U2 on my Samsung MP3 player : current favorite album is How to dismantle an atomic bomb and favorite tracks are Vertigo and City of blinding lights.

I've been a U2 fan for ages, since the late 80's, and my dream is to one day attend one of their concerts (they'll never come to SIN for moral/political reasons). When a friend told me that she went to their Aussie concert last year, I was so envious.

When listening to SQ Krisworld music, I usually listen to the radio jazz or new world channels just to relax (CH 4 and 5 I think).
    J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Actually, the best way for me to imagine that I'm on an SQ flight is to hear the safety melody and announcement in my head . Damn relaxing as I avoid gritting my teeth in response to another apologetic message from the BA pilot about yet another delay at LHR.

Sometimes I also imagine the melody that precedes the KrisWorld movies.

Otherwise my preferred soundtrack for my trip varies a lot, depending on my mood.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Actually, the best way for me to imagine that I'm on an SQ flight is to hear the safety melody and announcement in my head :tongue3

Sometimes I also imagine the melody that precedes the KrisWorld movies.
        I like it! Have just conjured up both of those tunes in my head and I'm already on SQ from the comfort of my own home

Originally posted by Upright Man
        ...I've been a U2 fan for ages, since the late 80's...
        I used to be a big fan of U2, but not as keen on their newer stuff,...suppose in part that's because I've not really listened to much of it past the radio play tracks. Still love the first five albums though (Boy, War and Unforgettable Fire especially), but since moving house I still haven't got round to organising CDs, so they're buried somewhere in the loft!
        Last edited by nickbot; 23 June 2007, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Wow... interessting to learn that other ppl also have their "SQ-tracks"

My "SQ-track" is Coldplays "speed of sound". It always reminds me on my first trip in SQ F on a 744 ZRH-SIN. On approach to Singapore there was a nice sunrise over Malaysia... "Speed of Sound" just matched perfectly with my mood and the sunrise thus making for a memorable landing...

Comment

Great pics SQOZFlyer

F looks pretty empty that morning

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
              Great pics SQOZFlyer

F looks pretty empty that morning
              Thx... that was my old Sony DSC-P10 which accompanied me on many trips and which broke down the very morning I took those picts and had to be disposed of

There were only 4 pax in F on that flight: Me, a well-known ex tennis star, his friend (who got pretty drunk) and an elderly british lady

Yeah that was my premiere in SQ's F... When I see those pict, I somehow miss the Skysuite on SQ 345/346 these days...
              Last edited by SQOZflyer; 24 June 2007, 01:04 AM.

Comment

The track named "Journey of the Ancestor". Stumbled upon this track in Bali. Its the song used for this SQ commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ecVPlKg56k

Can't buy the track. Its inside the IPOD in the hotel room!!

Comment

Along Jubilee777's vein, the melody of this commercial is what tends to come up in my head when I think about SQ service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSBMqffuQ8

Comment

What would be great for me as a sub-conscious reminder of SQ unfortunately can't be bought! The SQ scent - Stefan Floridian Waters. From the Washington Post amongst other references to it:

Consumers who already feel overwhelmed with omnipresent advertising may find Martin Lindstrom's Brand Sense (Free Press) a little scary. A branding expert whose clients include Pepsi, Disney and Mars, Lindstrom says marketers can no longer rely only on a consumer's senses of sight and sound to make their products stand out. To create a buzz and long-term customer loyalty, marketers will also need to promote their products through touch, taste and especially smell. Lindstrom says smell is one reason Singapore Airlines ranked the highest in a global survey of valuable brands. The airline has patented a scent that is part of every female flight attendant's perfume and mixed into the hot towels served before takeoff to become the airline's unique trademark

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      What would be great for me as a sub-conscious reminder of SQ unfortunately can't be bought! The SQ scent - Stefan Floridian Waters. From the Washington Post amongst other references to it:
                      And the sense of smell is probably the most powerful of the senses, in that it tends to be the most subliminal.

Of course, this approach works only if the delivery of the brand promise isn't flawed. I can't imagine IB having a patented scent and me getting the warm fuzzies about it; in fact, I'd probably suffer a bout of cold sweat!

Perhaps CGK can find a contact who can supply samples of the SQ scent?

Comment

Whoa - guess I learn something new everyday.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Of course, this approach works only if the delivery of the brand promise isn't flawed. I can't imagine IB having a patented scent and me getting the warm fuzzies about it; in fact, I'd probably suffer a bout of cold sweat!
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Wow, my definite SQ tracks are "Don't you forget about me" by Simple Minds and "Don't you want me" by Human League. I head them pretty much all the flight from BNE to SIN and then from SIN to FRA, coming back to myplace after spending half a year in down under...
                          I was pretty down when I started, but by the time when I arrived in SIN, the music and the general atmosphere had already made cheer up again...

Midnight Oil is also quite excellent, but I'd rather have it before a civil-rights demonstration than on a flight...
                          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, up and away.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Probably going to sound a little silly, but everytime I hear "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", I will always be reminded on this one particular SQ flight.

It was on SQ2, 27 Dec 1995, the song was playing just as were about to land in HKG. Excellent flight as always, but it was extra special as it was my first flight onboard a Krisworld-equipped aircraft and it was my last time landing at Kai Tak.

Comment

Working...
                              X