Sun - August 12th - Perseid Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun - August 12th - Perseid Shower

It's Sunday night here in Scotland and as I listen to Ennio Morricone's Cinema Paradiso sound track, thought I share this with you :

Meteor showers expected 9:00 and 10:00 pm on Sunday, August 12th ... Go to the NASA website for more details (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...atperseids.htm)

Where ever you are, go out with your loved ones and enjoy what the night sky has to offer. If you're flying that night, do have a peek out the window and marvel....

Thanks for the update! It's always an interesting sight!

Comment

will this be visible in city locations? e.g. not far away from the CBD in Melbourne

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
        will this be visible in city locations? e.g. not far away from the CBD in Melbourne
        Do consider light pollution and you'll figure out the answer.

Comment

I used to dabble in astronomy a lot during school days. I went to the Singapore Science Centre and joined the rest of the population in viewing Halley's Comet in 1986 I think. And as a member of the Astronomy Club while in junior college, I went for the weekly stargazing sessions. I remember seeing Saturn's beautiful rings through the reflector telescope. But I've never witnessed a meteor shower before.
          My Cafe Adventures
          Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
          http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
            But I've never witnessed a meteor shower before.
            Based on what I've seen in the picture about the showers emanating from a single point in the sky, I guess the iamgery is close to driving at night (with lights on) with snow showers coming in the direction of your car.

If you're a fan of star trek, it the moment you go into warp and you're at the bridge with the stars comoing your way leaving a trail. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X