No announcement yet.

Silk Air to be merged into Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the flat bed J seat - they should have done this 12 months ago before the 737 MAX arrived.

Comment

Interesting change of strategy for the SIA Group. I remember there was a short discussion in one of the threads here on how the MI brand is actually strong enough to warrant keeping it in the stable of SIA's airlines. Looks like that's not quite the case.

In any case, I'm quite excited to see this transformation in the future where SQ's livery is on both narrow body and wide body aircraft and having a consistent hard product. Funny how SIA manages to get away with charging SQ price but operating with MI aircraft. As a Y flyer 90% of the time, I'm sure many like myself would appreciate flying on an A320/B38M with the 2013Y or 2017Y seats (is that even possible though given the cabin dimensions?).

Now I'm just imagining all the refits that will happen alongside (or after) the A380 refits! Exciting times ahead for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinghigher View Post
        How would that work if they are operating under SQ's logo, but still wear MI's uniform?
        As I said I am guessing it will be like Cathay and Cathay Dragon Concept, which still has its own code and logo but similar.

But again my guess is as good as your guess.
        visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
          Interesting change of strategy for the SIA Group. I remember there was a short discussion in one of the threads here on how the MI brand is actually strong enough to warrant keeping it in the stable of SIA's airlines. Looks like that's not quite the case.
          It is probably not just about the brand. There are probably more overheads running 2 separate airlines so merging them may save money.

Comment

SQ has been undergoing major transformations over the past few years, and it’s working in their favor. I’m glad that the product gap between SQ/MI is finally going to close, however with MI folding into SQ, the latter will no longer be classified as an airline operating only wide body aircraft. I suppose as lingua101 suggested, a CX/KA branding approach would be suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
              however with MI folding into SQ, the latter will no longer be classified as an airline operating only wide body aircraft.
              Does that really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                Does that really matter?
                Not at all . Just merely a thought it was a good niche to be in since only a handful of airlines operate with an all wide-body fleet.

Comment

Not at all . Just merely a thought it was a good niche to be in since only a handful of airlines operate with an all wide-body fleet.
                  I think only us aviation geeks know that. The average passenger won't.

Comment

It would be fair to say that there’s a number of folks out there who assume wide body aircraft = full service airline. My parents included. Gave me quite a chuckle when they thought we were flying a crummy budget airline as we boarded a Qantas B738 via a bus gate in SYD.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                      It would be fair to say that there’s a number of folks out there who assume wide body aircraft = full service airline. My parents included. Gave me quite a chuckle when they thought we were flying a crummy budget airline as we boarded a Qantas B738 via a bus gate in SYD.
                      I never fail to chuckle when I hear that. No idea how that perception was conceived because most legacy carriers have a healthy mix of wide+narrow bodies, and while most LCCs operate narrow bodies, there is a significant number of LCCs operating wide bodies and we don't have to look too far to notice that: Scoot, Jetstar, AirAsia X, Norwegian...

Comment

Originally posted by thestrad1713 View Post
                        I never fail to chuckle when I hear that. No idea how that perception was conceived
                        Where the premium national carrier only operates widebodies, like Singapore and Hong Kong. It's a misconception anyway, and most of the flying public don't know too much about aviation or aircraft types.

For someone from Europe flying via Singapore to a regional destination, Silkair could be just another budget carrier. On the other hand, there would be different expectations if it's Singapore Airlines instead.

Comment

Transcript of results briefing along with slides:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...ngq4fy1718.pdf

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...t-q4fy1718.pdf

Lots of questions on MI merger, and management, as usual, says a lot without revealing much. All in all, one of the most uneventful briefings in a while.

Comment

interesting with SQ having narrow body planes from Silkair, would it mean that their tech and cabin crew will also start from the 737s to the larger widebodies as they progresses like other airlines who have narrow bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              interesting with SQ having narrow body planes from Silkair, would it mean that their tech and cabin crew will also start from the 737s to the larger widebodies as they progresses like other airlines who have narrow bodies?
                              This will be interesting indeed. I am also looking at it in an angle in terms of cabin crew also rotating between widebody and narrow-body fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                This will be interesting indeed. I am also looking at it in an angle in terms of cabin crew also rotating between widebody and narrow-body fleet.
                                This is very common throughout the industry. Even currently in Scoot cabin crew can fly A320 to Penang one day, 787 to Sydney the next. Jetstar Singapore cabin crew fly 787 to Melbourne one day, A320 to Auckland the next. In British Airways A320 to Oslo one day, 777-300ER to Singapore the next. Nothing groundbreaking here.

Comment

Working...
                                X