Trip report: SQ Y SIN-BKK-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
    • SQ972 - Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 2 (Depart 1040) to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (Arrive 1205); Aircraft type: Boeing 777-200(ER), 9V-SQ*
    Aircraft with registration codes 9V-SQ* are Boeing 777-200 (Regional config). The B772ERs carry registration codes 9V-SV*.

But thanks for your story, WSSS. This reminds me of the short Bangkok trip I made in March. I didn't know that the departure hall entrance was still closed for servicing! Yes, King Power is the duty-free operator there. A word of caution to all: If you're looking into getting cosmetics, get them here in Changi. They're much cheaper here, and PPS members get to enjoy another 10% off!

An afterthought: WSSS' posts tell us what a fine young man he is. His postings are simple but a joy to read. They give a very different feeling from those of another fellow SQTalker here.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
      They give a very different feeling from those of another fellow SQTalker here.
      We havent been hearing from "that" SQTalker for some time now. Buying a new digital camera, I suppose.

Comment

Yay! I finally earned KF miles for the first time I travelled with SQ. Always flying with the cheapest tickets in the past, this time I managed to fly on ticket E and I've earned miles for the first time. Yes, my KF miles are very pathetic (Hint: Less than 5K).

Comment

Aircraft with registration codes 9V-SQ* are Boeing 777-200 (Regional config). The B772ERs carry registration codes 9V-SV*.

But thanks for your story, WSSS. This reminds me of the short Bangkok trip I made in March. I didn't know that the departure hall entrance was still closed for servicing! Yes, King Power is the duty-free operator there. A word of caution to all: If you're looking into getting cosmetics, get them here in Changi. They're much cheaper here, and PPS members get to enjoy another 10% off!
          Technically, the regional 772s are ER aircraft with derated engines. On a.net, they label all regional 772s as extended range (ER) aircraft. I don't really consider them ER aircraft actually. If needed, these regional aircraft can be converted back into full ER aircraft.

I don't know how long are they going to close that entrance. If its closed for such a long period, something is definitely not right. I don't buy from King Power, they are rather overpriced. And those going to BKK, don't get King Power maps. Swissotel mainly gives its guests King Power maps. King Power maps do not feature any shopping mall on their map except theirs. No PPS member here, so no further discount unless its a sale.

Comment

Yes, my KF miles are very pathetic (Hint: Less than 5K).
            Oh don't worry you're not the only one - I credit all my SQ flights, apart from when I had the opportunity to credit PPS sectors/value under the double dip, to my LH or UA accounts so my KF balance isn't exactly something to shout about either.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2007, 06:37 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Oh don't worry you're not the only one - I credit all my SQ flights to my LH or UA accounts so my KF balance isn't exactly something to shout about either.
              I see. I will still credit my miles to KF though, since I'm a SQ loyalist... LOL.

Comment

I see. I will still credit my miles to KF though, since I'm a SQ loyalist... LOL.
                Thing is - I always try to spend my LH/UA miles on SQ flights.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thing is - I always try to spend my LH/UA miles on SQ flights.
                  That's very worth it, since SQ offers a higher standard than UA and LH. I know that earning miles with LH is easier than SQ, no idea about UA though.

Comment

That's very worth it, since SQ offers a higher standard than UA and LH. I know that earning miles with LH is easier than SQ, no idea about UA though.
                    Earning miles with UA is not difficult - the problem allegedly arises when trying to spend them. I've not tried to redeem awards using UA miles yet but will report back when I try to spend my miles on a South Pacific award when I hit the 330 days mark.

In these days of alliances, the FFP you accrue with does not necessarily have to be the FFP of the airline you actually fly with. I achieved my SEN status with only 4 LH flights last year - the rest were all SQ flights, with a couple of TG flights. And there are also others in the forum who'd profess the virtues of the bmi program.

Comment

Earning miles with UA is not difficult - the problem allegedly arises when trying to spend them. I've not tried to redeem awards using UA miles yet but will report back when I try to spend my miles on a South Pacific award when I hit the 330 days mark.

In these days of alliances, the FFP you accrue with does not necessarily have to be the FFP of the airline you actually fly with. I achieved my SEN status with only 4 LH flights last year - the rest were all SQ flights, with a couple of TG flights. And there are also others in the forum who'd profess the virtues of the bmi program.
                      Oh. I know that you can earn miles with other *A partners (Qualifying miles).

Comment

SQ979 - BKK-SIN Y

This was a horrible sector, the ground staff was hostile and rude, immigration officer was rude, cabin crew service was bad, and the airport was bad as a whole.

Upon arriving at the airport, I stayed outside to take pictures of the airport's exterior, including the world's tallest control tower. I haven't took a good look at the pictures yet, so those pictures have to come up way ahead of this post. I later entered the terminal building and proceeded to the check-in counter to meet my family... The ground staff was very rude and despite doing an internet check-in, she tried to do another check-in. Later, the woman cooled down. NB. Ground handling and catering is all done by Thai Airways in Bangkok.

Proceeded to the immigration, the immigration officer was very rude and unreasonable. Making people to queue up to stamp the passports one by one for a family?????!!!!!! Such rule applies in Thailand? I don't think so. The officer called her supervisor over for some reason, I don't know why. I was definitely very unhappy and annoyed with the officer.

That really dampened my mood by two hostile staff at the airport and it somewhat ruined the rather good trip. Trying to just forget that, I went to have lunch (yes at three something, amazing). I just wanted fast food, so I grabbed a bite at Burger King which was overpriced and not worth it. It was 200 baht for a Whopper meal, 30 baht more for some cheese (which they did not give me). A Burger King at SIN is the same price than any BK around the city-state. Well, I had a standard BK meal, as always, good.

The terminal building was like a furnace, where was the air-conditioning? It broke down again? No air-conditioning in that particular part of the airport? Its just ridiculous. I decided to explore the airport and saw some of the lounges on the third floor. The quality of the tiles were of bad workmanship and I could see the bare concrete pillars of the airport from lower levels. This is real ugly and it shows how badly done they built the airport with all the rushing. The toilets? It was slightly better than a MBK toilet, quality was as bad. Toilets were not very clean unlike at SIN and other airports. The airport flooring was dirty with lots of stains. The architecture? Looks glassy and nice on the outside like HKG or any of those glassy airports. The departure hall looks airy and is very modern and high tech, but its simply plagued with problems. Go and look into detail, and you shall see. Carpark? Looks nice, but haven't looked into detail so no comments. If I have one word to describe the terminal building. The word is "disappointing".

To be continued...

Comment

Yay! I finally earned KF miles for the first time I travelled with SQ. Always flying with the cheapest tickets in the past, this time I managed to fly on ticket E and I've earned miles for the first time. Yes, my KF miles are very pathetic (Hint: Less than 5K).
                          Yeah. 898 miles one-way to Bangkok. I don't have a lot of miles either. Used to be PPS but demoted to Elite Silver. With the absence of invitations to fly long-haul and the stricter requirements for PPS qualification, I wonder when I'll be a member again.
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                            We havent been hearing from "that" SQTalker for some time now. Buying a new digital camera, I suppose.
                            And maybe a vanilla ice cream to go along with it.
                            My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Nice photos and report WSSS, thanks for sharing! When was your trip? I was in BKK last month and the entrance door 5 was also closed for servicing

Comment

Yeah. 898 miles one-way to Bangkok. I don't have a lot of miles either. Used to be PPS but demoted to Elite Silver. With the absence of invitations to fly long-haul and the stricter requirements for PPS qualification, I wonder when I'll be a member again.
                                Uh, only 880 miles to BKK, I'm afraid. At least you managed to keep back your Elite Silver even when you couldn't fully qualify. SQ can be kind sometimes. The new PPS requirements may chase away some potential KF members from qualifying higher than Elite Gold. It looks like I won't get KF Silver or Gold anytime soon, unless I start flying more often, which is unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X