Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roughing it out - Overnight in the transit area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughing it out - Overnight in the transit area?

Hey all.

I'm quite desperate to fly on SQ747/SQ748 but the problem is that the outbound leaves too early for a KUL connection (or at least, a direct connection - only AK has early morning flights but I wouldn't chance it).

I plan to leave 5 April evening arriving around midnight on AK. I'm assuming I can get my two BPs (747/748) printed in the transit area, so I'll just find somewhere cozy to retire for the night.

Question is, where? Is T1 or T3 better for sleeping? And also, are there any pay-per-use shower areas of some sort?

If you're wondering why I'm not booking a night at the Crowne Plaza, it's simply because I'm a student and simply can't afford that

Side question: Can both 747/748 be under 1 ticket?

Everything you need to know:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/as...m#.Tz_KPvW8hNY

Originally posted by W_Flyer View Post
    ....Can both 747/748 be under 1 ticket?
    It depends on your fare, but usually ok.

What is so special about SQ747/SQ748?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      Everything you need to know:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/as...m#.Tz_KPvW8hNY

It depends on your fare, but usually ok.

What is so special about SQ747/SQ748?
      Thanks for the reply! Very informative

What's so special? Well, it's THE commerative flight of the megatop

The fare I'm going to book seems to be Flexi so I'm assuming it's Y

Comment

Firstly - the 6am departure to SIN on AK is quite reliable. And I have used it quite a few times as a connector to SQ860 (aka SQ747). The reason is because that's the first rotation for the ac that day, so there's no salami effect from any delay.

Nevertheless, if you still don't want to chance it, and don't want to stay at the crowne plaza - but want a decent night's sleep, the ambassador hotel (they've got one in all 3 terminals) can be had as a single for about 60-70 SGD for 6 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Firstly - the 6am departure to SIN on AK is quite reliable. And I have used it quite a few times as a connector to SQ860 (aka SQ747). The reason is because that's the first rotation for the ac that day, so there's no salami effect from any delay.

Nevertheless, if you still don't want to chance it, and don't want to stay at the crowne plaza - but want a decent night's sleep, the ambassador hotel (they've got one in all 3 terminals) can be had as a single for about 60-70 SGD for 6 hours.
          This is the transit hotel at SIN. I've used the one in T3 and it's nice and new and clean, even somewhat stylish although not fancy. If they weren't eliminated by a renovation, the T1 or T2 transit hotel has some cheaper rooms without ensuite shower and toilet facilities.

Comment

This might sound silly but I'm too young to hold a credit card so I don't know if I'll have a problem checking-in for the transit hotel.

I read that the ambassador lounge has shower facilities for $8. Is it possible for me to spend a few hours at the free rest areas of Changi and freshen up there?

Comment

Originally posted by W_Flyer View Post
              This might sound silly but I'm too young to hold a credit card so I don't know if I'll have a problem checking-in for the transit hotel.

I read that the ambassador lounge has shower facilities for $8. Is it possible for me to spend a few hours at the free rest areas of Changi and freshen up there?
              Cash should work as well, W_Flyer. The other option is to obtain a pre-paid debit card.

Yes, you could roam the transit area, many areas where you can shut-eye safely if you don't mind not sleeping horizontally. If your flight coincides with any of the members here who have access to the SKL, you could PM them and ask them nicely to bring you in and you can save $8. Look under the Lounge Meetings thread.

Comment

I could be wrong, but AFAIK, most of the shops at Changi are closed after midnight - 1AM and they generally re-open around after 6?
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Free Shower in T2

This is a little gem of a find, but when I used the new Star Alliance Gold lounge at T2, the toilet is actually OUTSIDE the lounge. You have to manoveur a bit of a maze to get to the toilet which is hidden outside and behind the lounge, and when you are in there, there is actually a cubicle with a shower head in it.

Didn't use it though, but definitely looks clean. You won't get any toiletries so not sure if it's a problem for you. Pharmacies downstairs in the transit area will have them.

Comment

Originally posted by metcalve View Post
                    This is a little gem of a find, but when I used the new Star Alliance Gold lounge at T2, the toilet is actually OUTSIDE the lounge. You have to manoveur a bit of a maze to get to the toilet which is hidden outside and behind the lounge, and when you are in there, there is actually a cubicle with a shower head in it.

Didn't use it though, but definitely looks clean. You won't get any toiletries so not sure if it's a problem for you. Pharmacies downstairs in the transit area will have them.
                    Bring toiletries if you decide to do this. Otherwise it will cost more than the $8 saved to buy them in the airport. If you pay to use the swimming pool, the admission fee includes showers and IIRC a nonalcoholic drink, but unfortunately it closes in the middle of the night.

Comment

Working...
                    X