Honeymoon in Singapore: Marriott or Hilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeymoon in Singapore: Marriott or Hilton

Hello, SQTalk! This is my first post here and I am sure I've come to the right place. My wife-to-be and I will be honeymooning in SE Asia, and Singapore is our first stop. I have extensive expereince in the region, but this will be our first time in Singapore. We both have status and hundreds of thousands of points with both Hilton and Marriott. So, I've come to you, the Singapore experts for some advice: which Hilton or Marriott should we use? Priorities are room size and quality, service quality, lounge, and location (but since the city is easy to navigate, this may not be too big of a deal). I really look forward to your insight. Safe travels!

Welcome to SQTalk, Robjorg, and congratulations on the wedding.

The Hilton and Marriot are very close to each other on Orchard Road and of the two I would probrably go for the Hilton personally, although that's due mainly to be using Hilton group Hotels and not Marriott and the Marriott seeming tired the last time I was there. To be honest neither is the sort of place I would choose on a honeymoon.

If it has to be a Hilton or Marriott group Hotel then I would go for the Conrad, even though that may seem strange given Luke's problems as outlined on the other thread. It's a step up in quality from the Hilton and Marriott and the location is pretty good.

Comment

Does the Ritz allow him to redeem his Marriott points there? IIRC, there used to be some type of way to make that happen. Possibly another option.
      HUGE AL

Comment

The Mariott's in a Marginally (only just so) slightly better location, but I'd go with the Hilton.

The rooms at the hilton are a little bit more modern, and they treat Golds/Diamonds pretty well there.

If you can spring it, try to get one of their Executive Plus rooms on the 22nd floor facing orchard road that have balconies (rare in a big hotel these days). Very pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          The rooms at the hilton are a little bit more modern, and they treat Golds/Diamonds pretty well there.

Most if not all Hiltons treat their Gold very well, even if it is a cheap gold like mine ( which was given to me for free due to KF Gold)........
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Welcome to SQT Robjorg and CONGRATULATIONS!

Hilton will look after you well. Stayed there last year to celebrate my wedding anniversary and they gave a bottle of wine (375ml) and their famous cheesecake. All this on a free-stay.
            Let them know in advance you're coming and you're celebrating a special event.

I don't know when you're coming but for Hilton's Dec sale, the Conrad can be had for as low as S$231 for weekends; even cheaper than the Hilton.

Comment

Marriott was busy renovating the lobby last month, haven't checked if works are completed yet, but if your arrival is imminent, you'd be better off booking the Hilton for the location (free cheesecake nonwithstanding).

The Conrad is nicer, sort of, but Orchard's pretty much where most people prefer to be. Quite a busy city you've picked for a honeymoon, I must say, but congratulations nonetheless!

Comment

These are exactly the kind of insightful, based-on-actual-experience responses that I was both expecting and hoping for. Keep 'em coming Just as an FYI, this is only the start of our grand journey. We plan to go to Bali (the Conrad), then to Thailand.

And thanks for all of the kind words!

Comment

You should be able to redeem MR points for a stay at the RC, but be sure to check for special offers too, including upgrades to their club level with generous F & B offerings.

For Hilton family, the Conrad is considered better than the Hilton in Singapore. Like the RC, it's close to the Marina and Fashion Walk rather than Orchard Road like the Hilton and Marriott, both of which are nondescript modern towers in a posh shopping area of the city, but somewhat far from lots of tourist things to do. MRT access is good. Also, the fancy Sentosa bus swings by the Marriott and there should be SQ hop-on bus stops in the area.

Comment

Hi, again. We really got excited about the RC, so we called the elite line; both the web and his reservation system showed not a single award room for the entire month of August! Thinking this was not possible, we e-mailed the hotel and got this response:

Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore.

Thank you for the email. Please note that at the moment, The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore is not participating in any rewards programmes including the Marriott Rewards. You can still made a booking, however, the Marriott rewards benefits will not be accorded.

I am pleased to inform you that rooms are still available for 22-24 August 2012. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any other assistance.*
                    Yours Sincerely
                    Zolmi Bin Hussein
                    ERS Executive
                    The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore

How is the possible or even allowed??

Thanks,
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robjorg View Post
                      Hi, again. We really got excited about the RC, so we called the elite line; both the web and his reservation system showed not a single award room for the entire month of August! Thinking this was not possible, we e-mailed the hotel and got this response:

Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore.

Thank you for the email. Please note that at the moment, The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore is not participating in any rewards programmes including the Marriott Rewards. You can still made a booking, however, the Marriott rewards benefits will not be accorded.

I am pleased to inform you that rooms are still available for 22-24 August 2012. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any other assistance.*
                      Yours Sincerely
                      Zolmi Bin Hussein
                      ERS Executive
                      The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore

How is the possible or even allowed??

Thanks,
                      Rob
                      Ever since the Ritz Carlton went online with Marriott Rewards, I have had experiences from two opposite ends of the spectrum: a habitual stay with the Ritz Carlton South Beach Miami that has been credited to my MR account with no problems whatsoever and a stay at the new Ritz Carlton Hong Kong last year that took three months to credit with endless follow-ups to Marriott Rewards, even involving the RCHK Front Office Manager at several instances.

Have never had a reason to stay at the Ritz Carlton Singapore, but am presently at the Marriott Singapore in one of their newly renovated executive rooms and am quite pleased with the chic new look (although the new wardrobe/closet resembles the one at the Novotel Taipei airport ). The staff are extremely courteous and responsive as usual. Will be lunching and checking out the new Marriott Cafe tomorrow
                      Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
                      X