The SQ 787-10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EWR View Post
    With so many 787s coming online now, why is SQ staving off the temptation to put them on CHC and IST runs? Do they have other aircraft in mind?
    ICN comes to mind too, especially their Red Eye flight, SQ608.

Comment

With so many 787s coming online now, why is SQ staving off the temptation to put them on CHC and IST runs? Do they have other aircraft in mind?
      Do the 787-10 come with crew rest compartment?

Comment

CHC is going to get the A359 long haul in January, although it's not clear where it will come off to free it up- possibly BNE. IST is a mystery to us all.

The 787s at this point are being used primarily on routes where more capacity is required without adding an extra flight. I don't think IST fits that category. At one point SQ had been growing the route and using it for connections to European destinations with TK codeshares. The failed coup and various terror incidents have really strained that plan. I know for example, that my travel insurance policy offers no cover in IST. SQ seem very happy using the old 772s on that route for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
          Do the 787-10 come with crew rest compartment?
          Good point. Having set them up as regional aircraft, it's probably unlikely that they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
            ICN comes to mind too, especially their Red Eye flight, SQ608.
            So does TPE. But my guess is they want to start off with short haul regionals then later on proceed to the longer flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
              So does TPE. But my guess is they want to start off with short haul regionals then later on proceed to the longer flights.
              There are no TPE red-eyes... Besides, SQ has already rolled out their 78Js out to the longer flights mostly - cue KIX, NGO and NRT, and DEL from late-October, with the shorter regional flights being used to simply close the gap between longer missions.

Comment

• Made a booking at SQ Travel Fair KIX-SIN-SRG on SQ619 in a hope to catch 787, but when tix issued, I check the KF website only to find that that aircraft will be 388 (Layout 1). Since the tix is on promo, no date changes or reroute is allowed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
                  Made a booking at SQ Travel Fair KIX-SIN-SRG on SQ619 in a hope to catch 787, but when tix issued, I check the KF website only to find that that aircraft will be 388 (Layout 1). Since the tix is on promo, no date changes or reroute is allowed.
                  It was stated somewhere on this forum and on Routes Online that from 28 Oct 2018, 1 of the 2 daily flights will be operated by the A388.

Singapore Airlines in this week’s schedule update extended planned Airbus A380 service on Singapore – Osaka Kansai route, set for winter 2018/19 season. The A380 previously scheduled to operate 1 of 2 daily SQ618/619 service from 28OCT18 to 31JAN19, however this is now extended to 30MAR19, the end of winter schedule.

SQ618 SIN0130 – 0845KIX 388 D
                  SQ622 SIN1405 – 2120KIX 787 D

SQ619 KIX1100 – 1710SIN 388 D
                  SQ623 KIX2330 – 0540+1SIN 787 D

Comment

• Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                    It was stated somewhere on this forum and on Routes Online that from 28 Oct 2018, 1 of the 2 daily flights will be operated by the A388.

Singapore Airlines in this week’s schedule update extended planned Airbus A380 service on Singapore – Osaka Kansai route, set for winter 2018/19 season. The A380 previously scheduled to operate 1 of 2 daily SQ618/619 service from 28OCT18 to 31JAN19, however this is now extended to 30MAR19, the end of winter schedule.

SQ618 SIN0130 – 0845KIX 388 D
                    SQ622 SIN1405 – 2120KIX 787 D

SQ619 KIX1100 – 1710SIN 388 D
                    SQ623 KIX2330 – 0540+1SIN 787 D
                    Thanks PPS Flyer, unable to change my booking as it was a promo tix at SQ Travel Fair, but at least my SQ638 SIN-NRT is on 787, so I can sample her for the very first time.

Comment

• Tried the 787-10 in Y on SQ 215 yesterday. It was quite comfortable for a 4 hours plus flight.

Comment

• Came up to Bangkok yesterday on SCB in J. Really did not like the seat. Way too cramped, almost claustrophobic and I was glad it was only a 2 hour flight. I was in A but the seat closer to the aisle than the window. I found the high bit sticking up between me and the window troublesome, and the intrusion from the seat in front looked ugly. The side of the pod on my right was far too tight to the seat and for me, the seat just doesnt work. I did not bother with the bed but could see from those who did (on a 2 hour flight!) it would be pretty narrow for me, and I am average height and build for an ang moh. If I were bigger, I am not sure I would get in it! The shoulder harness looked a good idea, if a little awkward at first to secure.

Overall, and as I especially chose this flight so I could try the Dreamliner, I was disappointed by it.

That said, the service was, as usual, very good so full marks on that front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                          Came up to Bangkok yesterday on SCB in J. Really did not like the seat. Way too cramped, almost claustrophobic and I was glad it was only a 2 hour flight. I was in A but the seat closer to the aisle than the window. I found the high bit sticking up between me and the window troublesome, and the intrusion from the seat in front looked ugly. The side of the pod on my right was far too tight to the seat and for me, the seat just doesnt work. I did not bother with the bed but could see from those who did (on a 2 hour flight!) it would be pretty narrow for me, and I am average height and build for an ang moh. If I were bigger, I am not sure I would get in it! The shoulder harness looked a good idea, if a little awkward at first to secure.

Overall, and as I especially chose this flight so I could try the Dreamliner, I was disappointed by it.
                          Same thoughts here as well. It has an odd design whereby the seat design alternates along the row. I had the pleasure of sitting in one where the side shroud of the pod envelops the seat. And with a size 36 waist line, I found the way to my seat claustrophobic and uncomfortable. My waist brushed against the pod whenever I went in or out.
                          Spoke to a cabin crew and he too was critical of the new seats. Seems some of them have minor difficulties setting up table in the new seats.
                          The new seats just seem so uncharacteristic of SQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                            Some of us who actually have to work do enjoy the benefits of internet connectivity even on regional flights.
                            I always use flights to get away from work(!) It's the only place I can be where my email isn't pinging me back to the office.

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
                              Same thoughts here as well. It has an odd design whereby the seat design alternates along the row. I had the pleasure of sitting in one where the side shroud of the pod envelops the seat. And with a size 36 waist line, I found the way to my seat claustrophobic and uncomfortable. My waist brushed against the pod whenever I went in or out.
                              Spoke to a cabin crew and he too was critical of the new seats. Seems some of them have minor difficulties setting up table in the new seats.
                              The new seats just seem so uncharacteristic of SQ.
                              I am 1.9m and whilst the entrance portion to these seats is definitely narrower than usual, I don't find it claustrophobic. The actual experience when in the seat is perfectly acceptable, much better compared to the A330's terrible angled seats.

After all, how long would one spend in the momentary position when getting out of the seat into the aisle? If the passenger is obese and/or has an alcohol belly and gets jammed fast then that's his own problem of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                                I am 1.9m and whilst the entrance portion to these seats is definitely narrower than usual, I don't find it claustrophobic. The actual experience when in the seat is perfectly acceptable, much better compared to the A330's terrible angled seats.

After all, how long would one spend in the momentary position when getting out of the seat into the aisle? If the passenger is obese and/or has an alcohol belly and gets jammed fast then that's his own problem of course.
                                I don't think I am obese by any standard but sitting in the enclosed pod like 787 J seats sure feels different compared to all the other J seats from SQ. SQ's J seats are synonymous with spaciousness and, personally, this just doesn't syncs with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X