No announcement yet.

New! SQUpgrade - Bid $ for One Class Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom and I (who are still KF Blue) also got this in our email too. I have to agree with the poster it looks like the band-aid of PEY's dismal showing. How is PEY doing on the US routes too (SFO, LAX)? If it seems that PEY wasn't working for them after all, they could very well re-refit to the 77WN configuration.

Is this why they probably stopped refits? Because PEY isn't doing as well as they thought. And I'm equally surprised the A359's freshly delivered have them too. They could also refit the A359's to the config without PEY if it's not doing that well. It's been close to 1 year anyway.

Comment

SQ PEY fares is a joke, some destinations especially in Europe. That amount $ spent, can fly Business Class on Middle East carriers (during promo) or even VN in J

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
        SQ PEY fares is a joke, some destinations especially in Europe. That amount $ spent, can fly Business Class on Middle East carriers (during promo) or even VN in J
        Agreed on your point but why is it so ? From my knowledge and understanding home based usually cost more than foreign when it comes to full fledge carriers. SQ seems cheaper than QF when booking in AUS for example it seems to be the case in many scenarios. Also ME3 carriers are super subsides by their governments. Besides EK think the others are all losing $$$ so the comparison is hard to make clearly and really not a level playing field. That's why I pointed out on loyalty earlier but it has to go both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
          Agreed on your point but why is it so ? From my knowledge and understanding home based usually cost more than foreign when it comes to full fledge carriers. SQ seems cheaper than QF when booking in AUS for example it seems to be the case in many scenarios. Also ME3 carriers are super subsides by their governments. Besides EK think the others are all losing $$$ so the comparison is hard to make clearly and really not a level playing field. That's why I pointed out on loyalty earlier but it has to go both ways.
          When someone books a ticket whether it is home station or whether carrier X or Y is government subsidized is not the main factor. Value is - and this can take many forms depending on the travelers individual preferences. I see a value differential in SQ's onboard service and the fact that the E3 (or others for that matter) involve a stopover. But the value I get out of loyalty is really low when compared to others. All of these I guess determine that extra amount that different travelers would be able to fork to go a specific carrier and/or travel class. I just find it quite unsustainable to present PEY at the price point it is presented right now when there J options available even though they might involve other inconveniences. And looking at the acceptance PEY is having, they might need to look into it before declaring it failure. Just my 2 cents!

Comment

Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
            When someone books a ticket whether it is home station or whether carrier X or Y is government subsidized is not the main factor. Value is - and this can take many forms depending on the travelers individual preferences. I see a value differential in SQ's onboard service and the fact that the E3 (or others for that matter) involve a stopover. But the value I get out of loyalty is really low when compared to others. All of these I guess determine that extra amount that different travelers would be able to fork to go a specific carrier and/or travel class. I just find it quite unsustainable to present PEY at the price point it is presented right now when there J options available even though they might involve other inconveniences. And looking at the acceptance PEY is having, they might need to look into it before declaring it failure. Just my 2 cents!
            No no agreed. That's why in one of my post already mentioned PEY was a mistake. While it's a nice option but the value doesn't present itself. If I want to pay more might as well go J else I'm going to take Y and hopefully at super saver. And comparing super saver with PEY the price is seriously off the mark. SIA is using Y flexi rates to compare with PEY to justify the difference. From SQ perspective yup it may seem good but the general public will never see it that way and look at super saver rates since both super saver and flexi gives you the same product at the end (the other benefits are negligible to them).

PEY really presents a problem in terms of branding to carriers as it is a neither here nor there product. It's premium but not premium customer. It's premium but from an economy perspective. It economy + not business - really I would have preferred if they just simply gone without PEY and occasionally reward loyal customers with J upgrade.

JAL did something really cool. Read this article

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2016/...assengers.html

If SQ could do something like this I think it would retain loyalty in the long run.

PEY looks like a nice product but it's not a product of true value to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
              PEY really presents a problem in terms of branding to carriers as it is a neither here nor there product. It's premium but not premium customer. It's premium but from an economy perspective. It economy + not business - really I would have preferred if they just simply gone without PEY and occasionally reward loyal customers with J upgrade.
              I agree- it's really hard to see exactly where it is aimed and particularly when the service and (usually) the product in regular Y on SQ is so good, quite frankly I'd turn down an upgrade to PEY if I knew the Y seat next to me was unoccupied.

If they are wondering why nobody seems to be booking it, maybe they should consider how difficult it actually IS to book. You can't combine Y and PEY sectors together which surely is something many people would want to do. The website needs to facilitate this, especially since if I wanted to fly PEY between SIN and FRA, for example, since no MEL flights regularly have PEY, I couldn't book it myself without calling which I have no interest in doing.

Comment

Here's Management's response:

"With reference to the mySQupgrade programme, I do understand where you're coming from and would like to assure you that we've looked at it as an option we wanted to make available to our customers. It is, as you've noted, not a new programme in the industry, even in the full service carrier space, and I hope to emphasise that it is purely an option, with the success of any bid subject to the variability of seat availability and no charge to our customers for unsuccessful bids. We will certainly monitor customer feedback on this new programme and consider changes and adjustments if they are needed."

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
                  Agreed. I am not based in the home nations of the airlines mentioned, but I'd go with NH J to Japan, and TG J to Oslo/London. To be honest, for LHR route from CGK, it is even cheaper to go via ICN with OZ in J. For Japan routes, NH J class and OZ J class, is slight addition to SQ's PEY (less than 2x).

Even when GA J is included, it is comparable to NH and OZ. So, yes, imho the price is ridiculous, and you have to board Y class for CGk to SIN, while you got full J in those airlines, though in J, what they lack is book the cook (Tg has it though)

NB: I am aware that booking NH from its home nation will results in ridiculous price, but this doesnt apply to GA, OZ.

Comment

I think the hope was that if PEY became a global phenomenon, that some corporates would amend their travel policies to give staff a class of travel better than Y or worse than J, especially if SQ is sustaining a differentiated J pricing. But that doesn't seem to be materialising.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
                      I think the hope was that if PEY became a global phenomenon, that some corporates would amend their travel policies to give staff a class of travel better than Y or worse than J, especially if SQ is sustaining a differentiated J pricing. But that doesn't seem to be materialising.
                      To me PEY is not for business but for leisure folks who want better than Y. PEY would not be very practical from a workers perspective as I can't really get a good sleep (semi ok sleep maybe) and not a lot of space to do work unlike the long haul J. So it's not really any much of bonus for business travelers and I think some bosses are going a step lower to LCC rather than even consider PEY.

Really my take is PEY from a reality perspective is for leisure travelers looking for something more and in no way a business option.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I was surprised to see them go with 42 J seats in the A359 which is is 16 more than in the 772ERs they are meant to be replacing. On top of that then a PEY section, means a significant decrease in Y seats when an A359 takes over from a 772, but conversely a significant increase in the premium seats they need to fill. I'd have thought that places even more pressure on them in terms of route economics, but I'm no expert in such things.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          Yeah, that's why I was surprised to see them go with 42 J seats in the A359 which is is 16 more than in the 772ERs they are meant to be replacing. On top of that then a PEY section, means a significant decrease in Y seats when an A359 takes over from a 772, but conversely a significant increase in the premium seats they need to fill. I'd have thought that places even more pressure on them in terms of route economics, but I'm no expert in such things.
                          I think there will be more than three configurations for the A350s. Other than the current long-haul, the A359ULR, and the regional configuration, there would probably be one more for long-haul routes that don't have a high premium demand.

Comment

At a company I worked at, the company had amended the travel policy a few years ago such that only the highest level of staff could fly Business on long-haul, with Premium Economy for the rest of the staff. My manager lamented no longer being able to fly SQ.

It's just one company, but I thought one reason PEY was introduced was so SQ could capture that traffic that it had lost: corporate travel where staff could only fly Premium Economy and not Business.

Comment

Sadly many small to medium corporations place price over convenience In their corporate travel decision. A one-stop is common place and usually there is no absolute loyalty towards a particular carrier. I believe SQ's target segment are the EYCL upgraders rather than corporate accounts. Most of their marketing for PEY are done on the mass public than corporate accounts.

What marketing needs to do is to improve the value of their product in order to gain wider acceptance. As many of the members here have said,their S fare is poor value when compared to our Regional carriers's J fare.

Comment

What I find most ridiculous is the economy flexi ticket prices. How many people actually buy them ??? Just like redemption full (which I believe they are removing) nobody pays 300% more (or do they?)

If the Y tickets drop then S will drop too since they tie it to "a bit" more than economy flexi.

Comment

Working...
                                X