Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what stall 43 at Newton Hawker Centre makes/sells ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleted
    Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
      I think you know by now the administration runs the country as a business and they see it in terms of a balance sheet,profit and loss statement.

As a business, decisions are made purely for profit motives. It is rare that they make decisions based on good ethical code of conduct such as what would be appropriate in this situation.

If you read the discussion forum on the straits times, a lot of comments made essentially point to poor ethical decision making by the administration.
      That's largely true but the authorities here are also known to good regulators. Restaurants and food courts here abid by the laws (like how touting is illegal) and are bound by hygiene regulations laid out by the authorities. So all this about Newton is unusual here.

Comment

I don't mind Newton Hawkers. Nothing wrong with the food there. It's just the touts that annoy me. Admittedly it's been a while since I've gone there, as I've not stayed at the Sheraton for a while. Nowadays I tend to go to Glutton's Bay for my fix of hawker food. Pleasant tout-free environment.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Nowadays I tend to go to Glutton's Bay for my fix of hawker food. Pleasant tout-free environment.
          I presume you DO know that Glutton's Bay is overpriced already so no need for touts

Comment

Well, Newton's overpriced but they still tout..

Comment

Just wondering how much satay should set you back, say per stick?

Lets just say a random stall at China Town?

Lets say during one of my last two trips I didn't ask the price, and it was quite a shock compared to the price of all the other tasty food I was enjoying throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                I presume you DO know that Glutton's Bay is overpriced already so no need for touts
                KeithMEL LOVES the foreigner places...
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Davem4 View Post
                  Just wondering how much satay should set you back, say per stick?

Lets just say a random stall at China Town?

Lets say during one of my last two trips I didn't ask the price, and it was quite a shock compared to the price of all the other tasty food I was enjoying throughout the day.
                  S$0.50 tops. Some can be had for S$0.40.
                  This is from the hawkers in Chinatown.

Comment

a similar thing happened to me in bali. my cousin and i went to blue marlin for seafood. they gave us a menu stating that lobster was 120,000 rph/kg. when we got our bill, it was 4,000,000 rph. i said that there was a mistake with the bill. they said there wasn't, then brought me a menu that had lobster at 1,200,000 rph/kg, and said that i must have misread the menu. i stated emphatically that i did not misread anything. 3 lobsters, plus a couple beers, ended up costing me $400. found the whole experience pretty disgusting.

Comment

like i thought.

Dodgy traders :-/

Comment

SIN Hawkers' Tour DO so we can all discover those wonderful, hidden cheap and cheerful spots perhaps?
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Davem4 View Post
                          like i thought.

Dodgy traders :-/
                          Sorry but I've got to ask, how much have you paid for a stick of Satay then to use the term 'dodgy traders' ?.

I know times are hard, but this must be a lot of money we are talking here.

Comment

Didn't realise there was a Hters in Chinatown

(Yes, I've paid $SGD13++ for 8 or so satay sticks when I dining at Hooters in CQ )

Comment

Never had a problem in Little India or Chomp Chomp.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                Sorry but I've got to ask, how much have you paid for a stick of Satay then to use the term 'dodgy traders' ?.

I know times are hard, but this must be a lot of money we are talking here.
                                Double the going rate it seems.

Maybe dodgy was too harsh a word, but I was typing with an on screen keyboard (the one at home broke and I have not yet had a chance to visit a store to get a new one) and thus was just trying to use as few words as possible.

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my satay.

Comment

Working...
                                X