• Show
Clear All

MRTT rules out C17 purchase I guess.
    Good value for money.
    Cheaper to maintain yet can act as both tanker & transport

Interesting that a light carrier is being considered
    And air fields being consolidated
    The F35B makes a lot more sense in view of these future developments
    Also no need to buy F35s for at least 10 years with upgrade programme being planned for F16C/Ds

Comment

yes, i will imagine A330 MRTT weighs against C-17 (even when it may be a fire-sale) and buys some time for deciding on A400 to replace C-130 (or supplement C-130B).

Air field 'consolidation' refers to RSAF being forced to give up Paya Lebar - the comprehensive logistics, command-comms-control and dedicated defences sited at the geographical terrain at PLAB are difficult to replicate. I imagine CAB(East) will not be fully developed since it will eventually be turned over to commerical ops. Meanwhile, concentrating at Tengah places too many (all?) eggs in one basket. But with 720 sq km, like we all say here, 'What to do'.

but, without factoring in the complexity of staffing, T&D, integrating into broader systems, etc, and speaking as a fascinated little boy, I like the shape of E160 =)

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
        yes, i will imagine A330 MRTT weighs against C-17 (even when it may be a fire-sale) and buys some time for deciding on A400 to replace C-130 (or supplement C-130B).

Air field 'consolidation' refers to RSAF being forced to give up Paya Lebar - the comprehensive logistics, command-comms-control and dedicated defences sited at the geographical terrain at PLAB are difficult to replicate. I imagine CAB(East) will not be fully developed since it will eventually be turned over to commerical ops. Meanwhile, concentrating at Tengah places too many (all?) eggs in one basket. But with 720 sq km, like we all say here, 'What to do'.

but, without factoring in the complexity of staffing, T&D, integrating into broader systems, etc, and speaking as a fascinated little boy, I like the shape of E160 =)
        helicopter destroyer concept (learn from the land of the rising sun)

As long as Uncle Sam's af has the C-130H flying, ours will be flying as well (Our Bs are still very airworthy)

The current CAB (East) is pretty much a temporary site. The future base will be quite self sufficient - independent runway etc. etc.

Comment

Wonderful...not only is there no Vulcan at this weekends RIAT at Fairford, now the F35B's have cancelled as well, right at the last minute. *&^&**&^

At least they have confirmed the Red Arrows will be a bit earlier tomorrow so people can get home to watch the WCF. The girls like the Red Arrows so always good to keep them onside for future visits.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
          ah, thanks for clarifying those. Yes, found out that RSAF is ordering A330 MRTT.

But what excited me was the bit abt a larger ""studying carefully the need for LARGER LSTs that can carry MORE HELICOPTERS" with the scale-up Endurance 160 being a through-deck - interestingly, Defense News predicted this, complete with picture of the E160 model, here: http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...pore-s-Future-
          That's how they'll do it. Say the Endurance LST's are not big enough (those pirate ships must be getting much bigger ) so we need larger ones, then buy the F35B and et voila, a small aircraft carrier without the neighbours noticing.

yes, i will imagine A330 MRTT weighs against C-17
          Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          MRTT rules out C17 purchase I guess.
          Not sure how you come to those conclusions. The C17 is primarily a strategic transport aircraft that can be used for carrying tanks and other such items, something the A330 MRTT cannot and does not do. I wouldn't necessarily rule a Singapore purchase of the C17 out just yet. It would be ideal if you think of how Singapore has to do all it's heavy training overseas. Even if they have agreed to buy any I am not surprised they haven't annpunced any purchase yet as they just announced the A330 MRTT's, and their usual trick is to spread military purchases out so as not to upset the neighbours.

Comment

Working...
          X