Shouldn't SQ operate just from T3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't SQ operate just from T3?

believed T3 can handle all SQ flights evenduring peak - but some less frequent airlines then shd be moved to T2. Its easier for SQ to operate from a single terminal bec of transfers and also knowing that all SQ flights be departing and arriving at ONE terminalinsteadof thepresentarrangement andesp for SQ arrivals which itsarrival is known only 2 hrs whether itbe atT3 or T2. Similiarly it help SQ reduce alot of costs and manpower for efficiency that having 2 sets of ground stafffor T3 n T2. Samealso for itsground crew and equipment support.

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    believed T3 can handle all SQ flights evenduring peak - but some less frequent airlines then shd be moved to T2. Its easier for SQ to operate from a single terminal bec of transfers and also knowing that all SQ flights be departing and arriving at ONE terminalinsteadof thepresentarrangement andesp for SQ arrivals which itsarrival is known only 2 hrs whether itbe atT3 or T2. Similiarly it help SQ reduce alot of costs and manpower for efficiency that having 2 sets of ground stafffor T3 n T2. Samealso for itsground crew and equipment support.
    T3 does not have the capacity in terms of boarding gates to handle all SQ flights. Check-in counters not a problem, but if you count the number of departure flights during peak period vs the number of boarding gates available, it simply doesn't add up. That's why they have to split their operations between 2 terminals. Yes I do agree it is easier to operate out of one terminal. Maybe they aught to look at that when they plan for T4.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
      T3 does not have the capacity in terms of boarding gates to handle all SQ flights. Check-in counters not a problem, but if you count the number of departure flights during peak period vs the number of boarding gates available, it simply doesn't add up. That's why they have to split their operations between 2 terminals. Yes I do agree it is easier to operate out of one terminal. Maybe they aught to look at that when they plan for T4.
      In my opinion SQ should just simply operate from T2. Kick the rest of the airlines out. But I think being the newest and the latest terminal, SQ wants to be in T3
      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
        In my opinion SQ should just simply operate from T2. Kick the rest of the airlines out. But I think being the newest and the latest terminal, SQ wants to be in T3
        There aren't enough boarding gates in T2 to accomodate all SQ flights during peak hours too! Such is the problem with airport planners! No one terminal in Changi can handle all of SQ's flights. Hope they think of something more brilliant for T4.

Comment

Actually yes SQ can operate from 1 terminal. Looking at the schedule:

AM Arrival Peak (5-8am) - T3 bears the brunt, T2 only has a few flights.
          AM Departure Peak (8-10am) - Evenly distributed among T2/3
          PM Arrival (12-6pm) - Evenly distributed between T2/3.
          PM Departure (12-6pm) - Most flights depart from T2. T3 is almost a ghost town.
          Evening Arrival Peak (8-10pm) - Evenly distributed between T2/3.
          Evening Departure Peak (8-10pm) - T3 (Mainly Oz flights), T2 (Mainly South Asia Continent flights)
          Night Arrival - Not many at both terminals
          Night Departure - Mass exodus at T3 (european, north asia etc). T2 is a ghost town.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

They can indeed, but I think that would leave less room for other airlines in T3

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              Actually yes SQ can operate from 1 terminal. Looking at the schedule:

AM Arrival Peak (5-8am) - T3 bears the brunt, T2 only has a few flights.
              AM Departure Peak (8-10am) - Evenly distributed among T2/3
              PM Arrival (12-6pm) - Evenly distributed between T2/3.
              PM Departure (12-6pm) - Most flights depart from T2. T3 is almost a ghost town.
              Evening Arrival Peak (8-10pm) - Evenly distributed between T2/3.
              Evening Departure Peak (8-10pm) - T3 (Mainly Oz flights), T2 (Mainly South Asia Continent flights)
              Night Arrival - Not many at both terminals
              Night Departure - Mass exodus at T3 (european, north asia etc). T2 is a ghost town.
              Sorry but I don't see how the above explains SQ can operate from one terminal. Evenly distributed = sufficient boarding gates??

Having worked with CAG, I can also say that they prefer to spread the crowd over the available spaces. Imagine SQ being handled at one terminal, which I personally prefer too, given the current facilities e.g. arrival and departure immigration counters, arrival baggage belts etc, all these will be stretched to the absolute limits, whereas other non-SQ terminals will be shaking leg.

Comment

Actually SQ wanted to operate from 1 terminal (imagine the cost savings!) but CAG refused. If SQ were to move all its operations to T3, T2 would be extremely underutilized. At present, T3 is under-utilized, accounting for the least in traffic movements of all terminals (BT excluded). From unofficial sources, the traffic volume breakdown across terminals is approximately T1:40%, T2:30%, T3:20%, BT:10%.

My Travel Map

Comment

Actually SQ wanted to operate from 1 terminal (imagine the cost savings!) but CAG refused.
                  That's correct.

Comment

If SQ were to move all its operations to T3, T2 would be extremely underutilized. At present, T3 is under-utilized, accounting for the least in traffic movements of all terminals (BT excluded). From unofficial sources, the traffic volume breakdown across terminals is approximately T1:40%, T2:30%, T3:20%, BT:10%.
                    What if SQ were to move to T3 completely, then push a few T1 airlines to T2?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      What if SQ were to move to T3 completely, then push a few T1 airlines to T2?
                      They have already pushed many airlines to T2 (OZ, NH, KE, AI, IX come to mind) and new airlines have also been assigned to T2 instead of T1 as in the past (SJ, HU, HX, RI, 2P are some)

Comment

I agree with most comments here that SQ should just move all of its flights operation to T3. All other airlines at T3 should be moved to T1 and T2. If space is still an issue at T3 for SQ after this reshuffling process, perhaps they can continue using T2 for some selected (preferably: high frequency) flights to SE ASIA (example: Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, Brunei).

It'll be awesome to have all these selected SQ flights fixed for both departure and arrival at T2. At the current arrangement, I find it very troublesome to check the arrival terminal of SQ flights....even flights from Jakarta can sometimes land in T3 when I had already parked my car at T2 side...sigh....

Comment

Actually SQ wanted to operate from 1 terminal (imagine the cost savings!) but CAG refused. If SQ were to move all its operations to T3, T2 would be extremely underutilized. At present, T3 is under-utilized, accounting for the least in traffic movements of all terminals (BT excluded). From unofficial sources, the traffic volume breakdown across terminals is approximately T1:40%, T2:30%, T3:20%, BT:10%.
                          This sound like we actually do not need 3 terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                            That may not be the case. While overall the utilization rate seems low, during the peak periods gates may be full. T1 for example, is pretty empty between 10am and 2pm but gates tend to fill up after 5pm. The figures probably show a total usage rate without taking into account the varying degrees of usage at different times of the day. If you add up all the figures then we could just have 1 terminal 100% utilized but in reality this is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                              What I meant was the % of total traffic volume, ie. T1 handles 40% of the total traffic volume through Changi annually, T2 handles 30% of total traffic and etc etc

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X